Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

29 minutes ago, Forwardnbak said:

I just wondered if the bad brake result might come from a power limit on the board similar to the first 3mtr thing but reverse? 

The amount of braking is controlled by hardware and software, and the system can be expected to limit the amount of braking in order to keep the electronics from failing. So if the braking is bad, it's because either the hardware isn't up to it or because the firmware is being too cautious. (that got me thinking... the V12 was faulted for lackluster braking—were they protecting the MOSFETs?)

But I'd be surprised if it was related to the 3 meter thing—I'm guessing the 3 meter thing is due to torque limiting when the wheel isn't turning, either because of a switch to senserless or because they don't want to blow up the MOSFETs when they're driving a near stalled motor (more power demanded than they want to deliver)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

... either because of a switch to senserless or ...

there is no switch. 

the S20 has a hall sensor cable 

GwgOEeg.jpg

and in the 2021 S20 Reveal video Kingsong stated ...

OeSMpKx.png

FgFrW7c.jpg

so as probably none of the hallsensors broke down till now, nobody really experienced how the hall-sensorless emergency mode feels.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, supercurio said:

The higher the pedals, the further forward or backwards the rider will need to lean, in order to move the center of gravity relative to the contact patch.

My geometry is rusty, but I'm having a difficult time understanding this.

5 minutes ago, Blunzn said:

there is no switch.

My apologies, poor choice of words on my part. There's some thought that when you start out, you must use a conventional hall sensor so the system uses them during the first 2 meters. Once the wheel is moving and the senserless system is pretty sure which direction the wheel is moving, the speculation is that KS may 'switch' to controlling the motor using the sensorless control. This would be handled in firmware.

That is of course, speculation. We just don't know. Me, I'd just use the conventional hall sensors and keep the sensorless system in reserve in case a hall sensor breaks but I can easily see an argument for using sensorless as much as you can so that a broken hall sensor doesn't result in as bad of an accident. Especially since the speeds are much higher than KS has been comfortable with in the past.

58 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

My geometry is rusty, but I'm having a difficult time understanding this.

A drawing would be better, but I agree the formulation I used wasn't the best, and writing it as "angle" probably would work better.

Maybe this extreme (unrealistic) exemple could help - let me know

Moving the rider's center of gravity situated at 1m of height, 1m forward: the angle between the contact patch and the center of gravity would be 45°, introducing a high amount of torque applied by the rider onto the wheel via pedals and power pads

Now, with really really high pedals: moving the rider's center of gravity, situated at 2m of height, 1m forward: the angle between the contact patch and the center of gravity would be 26.57°, resulting in a lower amount of torque applied onto the wheel despite the same amount of forward learn by the rider.

Therefore less acceleration from the wheel, which seems less responsive.

Does that check out?

Edited by supercurio
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Does that check out?

Not really... and yes, a drawing would be helpful. My problem is that the green triangle's dimensions stay the same, no matter how far above the ground you are (the lean angle doesn't change or you're trying harder/less). If the lean angle and the hypotenous don't change, the length of the adjacent and opposite sides of the triangle cannot change either.

THIS IS HARD MODE, where there is zero pedal dipping and the pedal stays directly above the contact patch.

52-A8-D3-EA-803-D-497-D-BAAF-362-C0-DC8-

When you have pedal dipping (soft mode), the dip will move your CG forward of the contact patch. With the same dip angle, your CG will move farther forward if you're higher off the ground so this seems backwards to what is described. Except the part where soft mode improves your ability to accelerate.

???

I get that when you're higher off the ground you might not want to lean at the same angle because your brain objects... maybe that's it?

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

oh wait. A very important part is the length of the lever between the pedal hanger and the axle of the wheel. Raising the pedals makes that lever shorter because the pedal hanger is closer to the axel and thus applies a lower tipping force to the wheel.

That makes sense now. It's the relationship between the point of force application and the rotational center of the wheel that matters. Yes, moving the CG further forward matters, but it's probably swamped by the reduction in the lever arm when applying the resulting force.

(for the record, I loathed statics and dynamics when I was in school, and this is why)

maybe... if, as the math people like to do, you take the distance from the pedal to the rotational center of the wheel to the limit (zero), then all of the force is trying to twist the wheel forward, none is spent trying to swing the pedal backwards and up. Help! I'm way out of my league here.

sorry, this is all nonsense, I have no idea what's actually happening. I think the lever we're actually worried about is the one that rotates around the contact patch—we're trying to tilt the wheel relative to the contact patch.

Edited by Tawpie
nothing to see here, clueless idiot rambling
  • Haha 1

So does geometry and physics indicate that a short and light weight rider would have a harder time riding the S20 because of the relatively higher ratio weight of the wheel compared to the rider as well as having less torque exerted on the wheel when leaning forward?

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I am too lazy to search for yoos post which states: (I am paraphrasing)

Maximum torque exerted by the the rider on the wheel to accelerate is only dependent on the weight of the rider and the length of the pedal (specifically the distance measured from axle to the front edge of the pedal).

However, as the diameter of the wheel increases, the motor needs to produce more torque in order to accelerate at the same rate. Which means the rider needs to exert more torque on the wheel. And hence, on larger wheels, most rider use power pads. 

Moreover, a taller rider doesn't have to lean as much to move his center of gravity to the front edge of the pedal.

The rider's weight to euc weight ratio is not one of the primary factors that affects acceleration. However, from the maneuvering viewpoint, it is.

In conclusion, the short answer to your question is a yes.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

So does geometry and physics indicate that a short and light weight rider would have a harder time riding the S20 because of the relatively higher ratio weight of the wheel compared to the rider as well as having less torque exerted on the wheel when leaning forward?

thoeretically makes sense. In practice tho, theres a bit more to it than that. We also must assume that KS used a Chinese midget when setting up the algos for torque delivery. Just as most wheels werent designed with power pads in mind, and adding them makes it much easier to overlean. Perhaps the s20 was designed with a midget AND power pads in mind. If so, the FW makes worry of limited power from limited height, somewhat moot. IN the end tho, being tall > being short. No I aint biased, Im 6'3". Im also easily capable of overleaning ALL of my wheels with power pads, at a mere 130lbs.B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

thoeretically makes sense. In practice tho, theres a bit more to it than that. We also must assume that KS used a Chinese midget when setting up the algos for torque delivery. Just as most wheels werent designed with power pads in mind, and adding them makes it much easier to overlean. Perhaps the s20 was designed with a midget AND power pads in mind. If so, the FW makes worry of limited power from limited height, somewhat moot. IN the end tho, being tall > being short. No I aint biased, Im 6'3". Im also easily capable of overleaning ALL of my wheels with power pads, at a mere 130lbs.B)

Look at what euc girl can do on her V11. And how she can ride her dad's monster pro, a wheel that is heavier than her. The talent, the courage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tawpie said:

There's some thought that when you start out, you must use a conventional hall sensor so the system uses them during the first 2 meters. Once the wheel is moving and the senserless system is pretty sure which direction the wheel is moving, the speculation is that KS may 'switch' to controlling the motor using the sensorless control. This would be handled in firmware.

I think that Hall sensor is used all the time, and sensorless mode (back-EMF sensing) is used as a backup, in case of Hall-sensor failure.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Not really... and yes, a drawing would be helpful. My problem is that the green triangle's dimensions stay the same, no matter how far above the ground you are (the lean angle doesn't change or you're trying harder/less). If the lean angle and the hypotenous don't change, the length of the adjacent and opposite sides of the triangle cannot change either.

THIS IS HARD MODE, where there is zero pedal dipping and the pedal stays directly above the contact patch.

52-A8-D3-EA-803-D-497-D-BAAF-362-C0-DC8-

When you have pedal dipping (soft mode), the dip will move your CG forward of the contact patch. With the same dip angle, your CG will move farther forward if you're higher off the ground so this seems backwards to what is described. Except the part where soft mode improves your ability to accelerate.

???

I get that when you're higher off the ground you might not want to lean at the same angle because your brain objects... maybe that's it?

thanks for the peer review @Tawpie :)

Agree the angle is lower, but the lever is higher so maybe the result is the same? Will have to look into it another day 😁

8 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Short yes, unless willing to lean forward more than a tall rider in order to move the center of gravity forward as much.
Light no, because the lighter a rider is the lower amount of power is required to accelerate.

Although clearly not impossible as demonstrated by kids riding big wheels, hard accelerating and hard breaking will be more difficult to achieve for light and short riders since the weight they can transfer is small compared to the weight of the wheel itself.

1 minute ago, Curt8892 said:

72 km in 0c temp. Sounds good to me. 

Exactly, waiting for a note about his brutto weight.
I think his ride and EUCWorld ride record gaved me better info than 75% of all "reviews". As I am not extreme raider.

16 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Jesus, is it right that the wheel is maintaining a temp only just above ambient??!!

marty's overheat hill test was pretty great for a fanless system. strange that in most of the review videos its almost never mentioned ... maybe some pendulum tests comparing it to other wheels would be interesting too ;) 

outsidetemp: 25°

1st stop: ShermanMax - 55°C , Hero - 53°C, S20 - 42°C

2nd stop: ShermanMax - 50°C,  Hero - 45°C,  S20 - 33°C

3rd stop:  ShermanMax - 55°C  , Hero - 50°C  , S20 - 45°C

after the last superstep part of Overheat Hill:  ShermanMax - 58°C , Hero - 57°C , S20 - 57°C

and you can switch the stock thermal pads against some modern overclocking ones

Edited by Blunzn
  • Like 3