Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

It would be nice to see some more info from KS.

Clarify what is going on. Surely they know people are speculating. 

Are there any hardware changes, how is the third party evaluation? 

“Your ideal flagship-level device - PURPOSEFUL DESIGN” (from their website) 

is it still this? 

Firmware upgrade is not enough- an added fuse should secure the batteries - Veteran sherman have that .... No more lithium fires pls.... Im not OK with the name change and limited inexpensive changes - Inmotion is more honest when they make mistakes I feel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finn Bjerke said:

- Inmotion is more honest when they make mistakes I feel. 

🤔 Hmmm - according to this thread on Reddit, Inmotion maybe attempting to payoff this rider to keep quiet about a V11 burning his house down. Disclaimer - no one has been able to independently verify that the Inmotion wheel is indeed the culprit.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Paul A said:

precipitated

Maybe you meant "preceded"? We don't know that the crash had a material role in this fire, just that the crash happened before the fire.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Thanks 1

Yes, preceded would be more accurate.

Precipitated implies cause and effect.

Preceded merely implies timing of events.

The repeated extreme torquing was in quick succession.

Is the fire therefore in the category of user error/attributable?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Maybe, but what I saw looked completely reasonable and within my expectations. That said, the very first "Important" warning in my 16X manual is to not accelerate or decelerate rapidly. I ignore that advice. Perhaps at my own peril.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrhz06 said:

Funny how KingSong has 1 fire and now a bunch of people are ready to change to Begode, that’s had 30 fires. I’m still holding onto my S20/22 preorder for now. Can’t see anything with suspension that is convincing me to change.

If I understood it correctly, the Begode fires were mostly a certain batch of LG cells, and they changed the cells. So that would be a hardware fix. And the fires were more like actual fires - some cells going up and then the wheel burns out.

We don't have confirmation yet that any hardware fix has been made for this KS fire. And it was less like a normal fire and more like a crazy giant bunsen burner inferno, with all the cells going up at once, even cutting through the metal battery box.

So it's not exactly the same situation. The Begode problem seems to be fixed now. The KS problem is yet to be fully understood, and while we can expect it to be fixed, it really isn't yet in any testable way. So right now, some will rightfully see Begode as safer than the S20/S22.

I'm sure this will be a great wheel eventually, and maybe my next one (or a Master). But that will need some time (and credible reassurances by KS).

Also, this is KS's first prominent fire. Some people will be put off by that sudden change in what they expected.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

This is a strange case where SW found away around a passive HW protection.

Thanks for the explanation!

The quoted seems to be the problem then. How is it passive protection if it can fail in some cases? But I don't know anything about electronics, maybe things are not that easy. I still find it hard to believe that one can't do real passive protection.

also guys remember that it could be different what information we have, or we are able to verify. Remember YTubers etc. that spread blabla like a wind or our own mistakes, feelings and preferences.
I led 5 years one mid size manufacturer internal and external validations of electronics (low power only) and it was really another level of public info vs communication with distributors. For sure dont underestimate "wild" information, could be very useful but also just rumors. Well and the big factor of SALE is also there + different China manufacturers behaviours in compare with Western. Not so easy to select and verify the truth I say :)
However - no room for fires :furious:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul A said:

Yes, preceded would be more accurate.

Precipitated implies cause and effect.

Preceded merely implies timing of events.

Following on a little from this, it would seem timely to remind riders more generally that if a manufacturer’s (possibly ‘most important’) safe use warning/‘do not do this’ written instruction is basically set aside, then little by way of claim arising from the results of ignoring such a warning must surely be valid?

I get completely that U-stride was, as a test-pilot, quite right in testing the wheel as he saw best, and we should indeed be glad that the issue arose now and not much later, but surely it must be encumbent on all prospective purchasers to a) read the product manual, and b) heed any and all of the manufacturer’s advice and warnings?    It’s great that the S20 production wheels will be safer now that fixes are being enacted, but this does not absolve riders of their own responsibilities/liabilities in as far as correct use of the product within the ‘envelope’ as laid out by manufacturers.

Luckily, we won’t likely be seeing a repeat of the ‘V12 rider-self-test’ pantomime with the S20.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Freeforester said:

Luckily, we won’t likely be seeing a repeat of the ‘V12 rider-self-test’ pantomime with the S20.

Based on what?

Kingsong admitted that all KS S20B's have defective short circuit protection at all levels. And Kingsong hasn't shown cutouts don't lead to sparks, flames and smoke.

They don't know for sure what caused the cutout.

They say it may be caused by the loss of a proper hall sensor signal. How do you tied the wheel being successively accelerated then decelerated to the loss of signal?

Kingsong still hasn't provided the reason for the loss of hall sensor signal, nor a preventive measure for the loss of signal.

Once the battery packs catches fire, Kingsong still hasn't provided a solution to the turning of the "battery packs in metal enclosures" into rocket-engine-like fireball and the blast of flames.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Kingsong admitted that all KS S20B's have defective short circuit protection at all levels. And Kingsong hasn't shown cutouts don't lead to sparks, flames and smoke.

obrazek.png.a54a698219afec5c3c82284cb8eb77a7.png

I think they meant that their new protective (not now) function in case of hall sensor failure instead of helping caused a cascade of problems.
I can imagine U-Stride tries could be the source of wrong decision of (un)protective function.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Miko.cz said:

I think they meant that their new protective (not now) function in case of hall sensor failure instead of helping caused a cascade of problems.
I can imagine U-Stride tries could be the source of wrong decision of (un)protective function.

Thank you for your effort in filling the blank for Kingsong. But Kingsong should know definitively what happened, and announce their findings.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

"the ridiculousness of the V12 self-test advice, to check if a clearly underspecced component might hold up to stress testing or not - it was assumed (though not a given) that a stress failure would not lead to a full blown thermal runaway incident"

This was exactly what made me not buy a V12, or in fact any kind of Inmotion wheel (the thought of myself standing with this wild spinning +29kg wheel and smoke coming out...)

• Confused 1