Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

3 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

So now it's the S22 ?? :blink:

vintage instead of us thinking it was tire size (which it wasn't)?

I think they rolled the model number so it would be painfully obvious on all the apps if the firmware was updated or not. This is a critical update, you don't want to make people dig through submenus to determine if you've got it installed.

Edited by Tawpie

I'm still concerned that there's no hardware changes as part of the fix. The explanation is credible, but "Instead the BMS MOS turned OFF and ON due to the firmware bug, and the time between On and OFF states were so short that it did not blow the fuse" Seems to me that the fuse should be specced to blow in this situation, since enough current was drawn to burn the batteries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chanman said:

Seems to me that the fuse should be specced to blow in this situation, since enough current was drawn to burn the batteries.

The key here is the current was pulsed due to the on-off fault. If the fuse can cool back down during the off time, it might not blow before the nickel strips are red hot. For example, when you are pulsing 6 kW into a 3 kW motor heat builds up but as long as you don't hold the high current too long, the motor can dissipate the heat and not melt. Same thing applies to the fuse and the nickel strips—the strips don't cool very quickly so they can get to a higher temperature.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, chanman said:

I understand why it wouldn't blow, but seems like it's not doing its job if it doesn't blow here, no?

With the on-off pulsing, it's probably not reaching the trip current. So they may need a fuse with a lower trip current, but maybe that would be too close to the peak operating current? I'd like to see a hardware latch circuit that prevents the on-off pulsing from even happening.

13 minutes ago, fryman said:

Could be a PR move. All the bad social media news is on the S20.

To avoid any old devices sold as is. The old S20 will be converted to S22 with updates first and slapped with new stickers. The vendors have extra hassle now to deal with but generally, it is a good thing to make sure no old versions will be delivered to customers. So S22 it is.

30 minutes ago, chanman said:

I'm still concerned that there's no hardware changes as part of the fix. The explanation is credible, but "Instead the BMS MOS turned OFF and ON due to the firmware bug, and the time between On and OFF states were so short that it did not blow the fuse" Seems to me that the fuse should be specced to blow in this situation, since enough current was drawn to burn the batteries.

They (Kingsong) did state that they will also have 3rd party to do independent testing. It is understandable that technical "yargon" does not always convince customers but having external testing (professionals) is best possible outcome here. 

------------

I still consider this, what Hsiang and U-Stride said: "the condition' we drove was within "normal performance" and device response was not acceptable."
That was not word to word, but something along those lines (in podcast by blackcobra). I also would not blame the rider. There was no warnings, even experienced riders usually are aware not to torment full charged  devices to the max. 

Prolly I understood wrong but, does the system drain battery during the time when device is "OFF"? Because that could bring a lot of drained battery problems, ruining lot of devices. Just a month of inactivity could ruin batterys if there is a drain, like smart BMS is active even device is turned off, or bluetooth(commonly problem) from smart BMS keeps draining, even device turned off. Would be nice to know did the smart BMS in S20 drain batterys even offline-state (bluetooth usually drains if it is connected). Just would like to know if the fix is causing possibly wider problem in long run.

"You're looking at the S22?  I heard it has great potential.  Stay away from the S20 though,  it has a lot of problems..."

• Haha 3

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)
41 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Is there going to be a new thread for the Kingsong S22, or is there going to be a title change for this thread?

Valid point. I added “S22” to the title, since the point of this thread is to discuss the model before mass production and the S22 still fits that criteria.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

KS is striving to produce a great product.

The failure has been very costly to reputation, time, trust.

Perhaps appreciate their attitude, development efforts and commitment to the long term for this very niche segment.

Scooters for the mass market might be easier and more profitable.

• Like 1