Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

It's always tough comparing marketing specs against real world experience... the marketeers never tell the whole truth, and real world will always have its outliers. I succumb to the temptation to try to boil an entire system down to 1 or 2 soundbites when I know from being bloodied in battle that a system is much more than 1 or 2 'features'. My car might have y speed rated tires on it, but it doesn't matter much if the operator won't take it above 80 mph because of insurance.

For my off roading where the surface is unpredictable I find that I want fine torque control more than pure unadulterated torque. But I don't try to climb logs or 50° slopes. On the drag strip, you have a better chance of actually making use of pure power... up to a point.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think some of y'all may have missed there's 12 fets in total, 4 in parallel for each phase, so each one is only sharing 1/4th of the current, and for heat dissipation purposes are only on 1/3 of the time for the 3 motor phases, this helps a lot.

On further review of how to actually drive these motors I guess 4 per phase is actually only with 2 in parallel, so not quite as reassuring on the power numbers as I would have liked.

Edited by chanman

11 hours ago, chanman said:

I think some of y'all may have missed there's 12 fets in total, 4 in parallel for each phase, so each one is only sharing 1/4th of the current, and for heat dissipation purposes are only on 1/3 of the time for the 3 motor phases, this helps a lot.

On further review of how to actually drive these motors I guess 4 per phase is actually only with 2 in parallel, so not quite as reassuring on the power numbers as I would have liked.

4 mosfets per phase are probably connected in a H-bridge like this:

image.jpeg.efa6b48a4a40380891115e49311b56b6.jpeg
In which case no mosfets are parallelled at any time.

EDIT: Turns it I was wrong about this! The above image is not what is used in EUCs.

Also, in my understanding basically all current wheels are driven with a sine wave signal, which would barely ever be completely off. The peak current is of course only present at a very narrow timeframe as well:

Sinewave3.png?ssl=1
(Trapezoidial/square wave on the left, sine wave on the right.)

Edited by mrelwood

The motors of our wheels have 3 phases, it is necessary to add 2 mosfet to this diagram thus 6 mosfet in all

To accept more current each mosfet are doubled in // which gives 12 mosfets (even 3 mosfets in // on the Monster Pro from Begode)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hansolo said:

The motors of our wheels have 3 phases, it is necessary to add 2 mosfet to this diagram thus 6 mosfet in all

To accept more current each mosfet are doubled in // which gives 12 mosfets (even 3 mosfets in // on the Monster Pro from Begode)

The four mosfets in the graph above are all for a single motor phase. Each of the three phases have the same four mosfets. 4x3=12. Nothing is doubled in this 12 mosfet design.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong!

Edited by mrelwood

I would like to add one more argument to range tests - differences in results we see with S20.
I have done 2 rides on KS-16S (680Wh) exactly same track. Difference in battery left is 16%, with this small battery and double plastic shield of EUC (compared to massive Alu heatsink on S20).
Battery charged to max + balanced. Data:

1. EUC World:4°C + 88kg brutto + 20.3km/h avg + weak frontal wind (open areas only) + 1h 26m
  2. EUCWorld: 17°C + 85kg brutto + 21.6km/h avg + no wind + more aggresive ride + 1h 23m

Note: thanks KS for headroom, at 8km I jumped into the pot hole (exactly jumped to the edge of the end of pot hole). 16S protested heavily but fortunately I was not examinating road more closely.

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

Not for a single motor phase but for a single phase motor with the possibility for reverse operation. Otherwise (single direction) 2 mosfets would be enough.

Our 3 phase bldc motors are driven, as posted by @hansolo with 6 mosfets. (Direction change is here accomplished by the commutation - no more mosfets necessary)

So our 3 phase bldc always need multiples of 6 mosfets.

Thanks for this, I had understood the whole motor operation wrong! I’ve got me some more reading to do.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

Apparently the new FW is out - ver 2.17.  This is the one that is supposed to improve accelleration.  Ginger on wheels (Ryan Strahl) is downloading it and will hopefully be reporting out on it sometime soon!  Could this new version bring the performance that so many have expected all along?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Could this new version bring the performance that so many have expected all along?

or, will we see our first control board go 'poof' followed by the traditional dumpster fire we all know and love? :popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

or, will we see our first control board go 'poof' followed by the traditional dumpster fire we all know and love? :popcorn:

I certainly hope that isn't going to happen.  If KS releases a FW update that leads to a poof, that would likely result in many pre-order cancelations.

3 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I certainly hope that isn't going to happen.  If KS releases a FW update that leads to a poof, that would likely result in many pre-order cancelations.

Perversely, I'm sort of hoping for poof. I like to see testing to destruction—it gives you a more accurate view of the real life limit (IFF the system is instrumented so you know what was really happening!)

On the other hand, GoW is a local rider and I do not want him to get hurt!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I think it’s nice that the firmware is being improved prior to shipping not just rushing them out and patching things later.

I'm sure they still will. 

More I’m just impressed with how they have handled this wheel, slow release of info and product previews with full open testing, real world conditions feedback to find flaws and improvements along the way. 
To me it’s reassuring they are giving it this attention. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kristof Willen said:

Turning on the spot seems almost impossible.

Yeah. For me, that's just not going to be a thing, I don't bring enough rider mass to use against the wheel mass. A tight yaw+lean turn while moving had better be possible though. I had to relearn tight turns on my S18 with the TR1 tire, that combo doesn't turn well on pavement. Off road it's fine but compared to my 16X/H666 the S18's higher center of mass coupled with the increased weight and flatter tire profile required learning new techniques.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

but compared to my 16X/H666 the S18's higher center of mass coupled with the increased weight and flatter tire profile required learning new techniques.

This is my concern as well.  The 16x with H666 pumped up over 40 psi is delightfully lively. Bigger heavier wheels just feel sluggish and cumbersome by comparison.  I did find the S20 more enjoyable than the OG Sherman with the 262 however, which gives me hope that the S20 will satisfy me once I have given it a bit of an adjustment period.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Great new vid from Adam / Wrong Way.

I'm liking what I'm seeing out of the new FW.  I can't wait to see how the S20 performs with a street tire!  Hopefully he will try out a C6004. I'm leaning hard toward putting it on my S20 based on what I've heard others say about it.  I don't go with the C6004 then I'll likely go with the H666.

I have Clark Pads and all that but will roll with a stock setup for a while and evaluate how that is (minus the boomerang I think that thing is just in the way to adjust the pads fully), I want to give both the pads and the tire a chance and benefit of doubt and not just swap them.

• Like 2