Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

EEVEES has a new video out. Bradley did a range test and got 73 km's, discharging from 95%-33% battery.  After the West Coast tour, one of the two demo S20's sliders was jammed up.      Starts at 21:45.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

So eevee's experience is a good indication that protecting the suspension rail from ingress in the section between the top and bottom sliding blocks will address the main problem with the S20 suspension.
Now we know that it's not a theoretical issue speculated by Adam - Wrong Way, very real as their S20 was getting stuck with the suspension compressed.

I'm reasonably confident this can be solved with a 3D printed seal in TPU, and already have a basic design in mind (nothing crazy)

If the S20 sales volume is as high as we are hearing, the demand for those seals can't be too far behind. As is, it is looking more and more likely the sliders will be high maintenance items.

Even before the sliders got stuck, the polymer bearing blocks could have had abrasions on them, and scoring on the slides. Which all could lead to shorter service life, and more stiction. 

If you have a simple but effective fix to all that, it would be a really big boost for the S20.

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

Regarding their range test, they got fooled by the erroneous battery % calculation of the S20 like everybody else, and these 33% left were more like 10-5%, as confirmed by speed getting throttled to 40km/h already. So if you extrapolate from 100% to empty (which was almost already the case), 80km top in the riding conditions.
As everybody else, even if the speed target was 45-50km/h you can be sure that the actual riding average was significantly lower, like around 30-35km/h.

For me, even without a speedometer, I can certainly tell whether I am traveling in the 30-35 kph range or in the 45-55 kph range on my T3 or V12. It is really noticeable. For Bradley, he said he was traveling at speeds that he normally ride at. He was not giving us an average speed. This I like, actually. He said that he was really flooring it on any straights. I would be really surprised if he got duped by the built-in speedometer. I don't think he used the speedometer much, if at all. Either way, we has to ask him to be sure.

He stop the range test when he got a tilt-back at 40 kph. So he stopped the test at the right time then. Of course, a lot of details were left out. It is just another data point.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

If the S20 sales volume is as high as we are hearing, the demand for those seals can't be too far behind. As is, it is looking more and more likely the sliders will be high maintenance items.

Even before the sliders got stuck, the polymer bearing blocks could have had abrasions on them, and scoring on the slides. Which all could lead to shorter service life, and more stiction. 

If you have a simple but effective fix to all that, it would be a really big boost for the S20.

Yes I'll give it a shot when I get mine (which might or might not take a while). But in the meantime I'm sure a few makers with access to the S20 prototypes are already working on solutions right now, maybe even testing them as we speak.

My prediction is that on a later batch the S20 will come with similar suspension rail seals out of the box. It will seem odd that the Kingsong forgot them in the first units - just like Inmotion who added extra seals over on their V11 hollow motors bearings.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, supercurio said:

My prediction is that on a later batch the S20 will come with similar suspension rail seals out of the box

If we're lucky the delays eevee's spoke about gives them a few more moments??? Batch 1 isn't done yet. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

If we're lucky the delays eevee's spoke about gives them a few more moments??? Batch 1 isn't done yet. 

Was it eevee's? Saying that their S20 were assembled already but are waiting for battery packs due to cell shortages.
I agree not too late to have engineers come up with a few designs. It might be tough to iterate and test designs during their lockdown tho.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, supercurio said:

watching someone ride a brand new 1st batch wheel out of the box

That's almost certainly the pre-production demo wheel AR auctioned off to support humanitarian efforts in Ukraine. I was very tempted to bid but it got kind of crazy expensive. Listing is gone now. One crazy possible benefit is that the pre-production wheels didn't seem to have factory tilt back turned on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

- Wet a shop rag and pushed it deep into each rail, using a screwdriver to wedge it even deeper where my hands couldn't fit

US owners can use their rifle barrel cleaning kit! :ph34r:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I am glad that EEVEES mentioned the sliders in the S20 getting stuck in their video. This provides feedback to Kingsong, and perhaps a touch of pressure as well. Not everyone is handy with tools and whatnot. According to EEVEES, Begode has basically no warranty claims, while inMotion has the worse record. If Kingsong is not careful, they may end up joining the club with the most troublesome euc's. And dealers, distributors,  as well as customers can't be happy with that. 

Here is another thought. Are stuck sliders going to be covered under warranty? 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

That's almost certainly the pre-production demo wheel AR auctioned off to support humanitarian efforts in Ukraine. I was very tempted to bid but it got kind of crazy expensive. Listing is gone now. One crazy possible benefit is that the pre-production wheels didn't seem to have factory tilt back turned on.

Good question, I asked in comments in his latest video.

I appears his chargers only up to below 124V also (only 1A at 123.7V -  in the CV phase then).
He'll most likely need a new one which can charge fully and balance the packs.

35 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I am glad that EEVEES mentioned the sliders in the S20 getting stuck in their video. This provides feedback to Kingsong, and perhaps a touch of pressure as well. Not everyone is handy with tools and whatnot.

Here is another thought. Are stuck sliders going to be covered under warranty? 

I thought so too and had the same suggestion earlier in YouTube comments. They're the only ones who can really report it to Kingsong since they experienced the issue.
They're great with videos so I hope they have footage to show the issue in details to Kingsong.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Somewhere KS indicated that the suspension requires routine (monthly) maintenance—clean and regrease. Generally speaking, failure to adhere to the specified maintenance schedule can impair your warranty claim... it'll be up to your reseller in the end though.

If Kingsong really meant it, they better provide a service procedure with the production models. However, in the end, if they don't have a fix before production, my gut feeling is that it will be messy on more than one level.

To do it properly, it would be interesting to see whether the service procedure can avoid dealing with the permanent locking compound. Otherwise, good luck to the owners. Note that heat would have rendered the locking compound useless. So prior to reassembly, the old locking compound need to be removed first. That will not be a fun job.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, techyiam said:

To do it properly, it would be interesting to see whether the service procedure can avoid dealing with the permanent locking compound

I certainly hope so! Although I think Kevin indicated that the locking compound will be different in production.

27 minutes ago, techyiam said:

they better provide a service procedure with the production models

Wouldn't that be nice, right? Kind of like how Mazda gives me the procedure for the 30k mile service interval so I don't have to go to the stealer to have it done. NOT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lazybones99 said:

Has anyone seen S20 measurements for the width of the wheel well - any chance of getting a 90mm tire on this thing? 🤞

IIRC Jack said it would take up to a 4" wide tire.  Can't confirm though.  What tire are you looking at in 90mm?

18 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

IIRC Jack said it would take up to a 4" wide tire.  Can't confirm though.  What tire are you looking at in 90mm?

Looking for a summer street tire so at the moment my shortlist is - Michelin City Grip 2, Pirelli Angel or Diablo & Avon AM63