Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

One thing is in pictures another is irl. We have seen other wheels that challenge d designs that turned out rather Okey once people got used to these. 

I recall a lot of comments in KS16X and Nikola and V11 ohh almost forgot mudguard of KS18L too. In the end people bought these wheels. I am not a huge fan of the open wheel to parts but I know others like it. 

Final product who knows what it will look like. And what people can fix with a can of paint or vinyl.

I do think colours add flavour. I am not a fan of black all together. This is down to hard to spot in the dark. This goes for the wheel and clothing for me. Now @mrelwood have seen how far I drive this on my V11 and my gear.

On the other hand what options people can order could maybe change. I think my first concerns are ride and feel. Performance in bad weather and splash on clothing. Then tire changes. 

This comes from the wheels I have owned. 

• Like 3

Maybe one day EUC's will be covered with flexible LED screens, and people can have whatever color schemes they desire.

Including dynamic camouflage by use of cameras to capture the background and display on screen.  "Invisibility".

Rider would appear to be gliding/levitated through the air.

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Maybe one day EUC's will be covered with flexible LED screens, and people can have whatever color schemes they desire.

A wheel I will be very afraid to drop  :lol: given how OLED panels tend to suffer in their entirety when compromised locally.

Including dynamic camouflage by use of cameras to capture the background and display on screen.  "Invisibility".

Rider would appear to be gliding/levitated through the air.

Haha a few people can get surprised and pretty confused already when seeing us, I can't imagine if we became floating humans riding invisible wheels :ph34r:

So-so for safety also: I didn't see you (no kidding!)

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

I like the purple accents on their own, given how relatively subtle they are, but i agree they dont go with any other bright color like the red. 

I also understand why they went with the red though. As busy and overdesigned as it looks, they probably thought that making it all black would make the pads stand out less and therefore make their eagle wing design less noticeable and defeat the avian theme of the wheel. 

Unfortunately as it is, the wheel should be called the S20 Parrot :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I agree that purple in black+red is really terrible, but its prototype.
Black+Red alone would be OK, I would prefare yellow+black or just simple black (well, on my black KS-16S every scratch is highly visible).
Maybe i would also miss the side LEDs - I ignored them first (no more riding circus), but with simple color/effect they are great for traffic, cars can see me also from side perfectly (crossroads, crosswalks...). But i can deal with it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Funny thing about colors and injection molding. Color basically cannot be "spec'd". You specify Pantone xyz so it matches the marketing assets (brand police are everywhere don't'cha'no) and you get back something sort of close so you spec a slightly different shade, lather, rinse and repeat. Victory! Then the mold is textured and the color isn't even close (light reflects differently off the 'new' surfaces) so you tweak and tweak and tweak. Different formulation of the plastic in the same mold is a different color. Parts from a steel tool are different than the ones from the aluminum tool. How the plastic flows (cooling, gate locations, tool design, injection temperature and pressure) leaves visible traces in the color. Some colors are REALLY good at showing flow lines. Parts look different in different kinds of lighting, different light angles. It's aggravating to say the least. While we humans can't remember very many shades of color, put them side by side and we can see the slightest difference instantly.

We ended up doing it the Chinese way: tweak and tweak until you achieve a golden color sample from the production mold, signed in Sharpie by us and the manufacturer, then compare each lot to the golden sample. No color spec.

KS is likely at that point. It's absolute purgatory if they're trying to avoid painting the parts. Paint is way easier but it chips and scratches and it isn't free. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if the parts end up painted!

Wow! A most impressive show of cranial capacity!!!!  Love it!!!!! Your verbosity is only exceeded by your pulchritude!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Funny thing about colors and injection molding. Color basically cannot be "spec'd". You specify Pantone xyz so it matches the marketing assets (brand police are everywhere don't'cha'no) and you get back something sort of close so you spec a slightly different shade, lather, rinse and repeat. Victory! Then the mold is textured and the color isn't even close (light reflects differently off the 'new' surfaces) so you tweak and tweak and tweak. Different formulation of the plastic in the same mold is a different color. Parts from a steel tool are different than the ones from the aluminum tool. How the plastic flows (cooling, gate locations, tool design, injection temperature and pressure) leaves visible traces in the color. Some colors are REALLY good at showing flow lines. Parts look different in different kinds of lighting, different light angles. It's aggravating to say the least. While we humans can't remember very many shades of color, put them side by side and we can see the slightest difference instantly.

We ended up doing it the Chinese way: tweak and tweak until you achieve a golden color sample from the production mold, signed in Sharpie by us and the manufacturer, then compare each lot to the golden sample. No color spec.

KS is likely at that point. It's absolute purgatory if they're trying to avoid painting the parts. Paint is way easier but it chips and scratches and it isn't free. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if the parts end up painted!

Not to mention that the amount of colourant added to the raw resin is minuscule.

3 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

I wanted to inform everyone that I have official left my position at King Song as of end of September.  I do not represent KS anymore. It's been a wild journey full of ups and downs, and I've learned a load in the past year or so that I've been here. I'll still be in this community just not as a KS rep, if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message through the official channels such as email and FB. 

Thanks for all the hard work that you were able to put in whilst representing King Song, it is truly appreciated and I for one, wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

Great to hear that you will still be active in the community and that we can still reach you through various channels! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jack ex-KS said:

I wanted to inform everyone that I have official left my position at King Song as of end of September.  I do not represent KS anymore. It's been a wild journey full of ups and downs, and I've learned a load in the past year or so that I've been here. I'll still be in this community just not as a KS rep, if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message through the official channels such as email and FB. 

Loved your work, Jack. I reckon that even if S20 is not what we all hope for, it has given us a glimpse of what we can expect from future EUC's. ;-)

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 3

I hope you stepping away from Kingsong is not a result of your dissatisfaction with the direction Kingsong is taking. Do you have some form of confidentiality agreement, or can you spill all the beans on the development of this wheel or any other future endeavors?

All the best.

• Like 2

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)