Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

I think we see a marketing competition between Begode and KingSong.

Maybe it's just me, but in that first interview by evX and Cobra, it felt like Jack was somewhat surprised with the presentation of S20 on 26 August. My guess is, Begode/Gotway were working all year to beat the S18 and when they built several units of the mature prototype they rushed to deliver the news to the market. Then KingSong, knowing that, rushed to let us know that they have even better - S20. And ideally, KingSong might have needed a couple of more months to keep it quiet to let engineers come with a better finished prototype. (I am not saying I don't like S20 - I love it for what it will finally be.)

It is an attempt to win our hearts and, of course the deposits, and KingSong look to be winning so far. Neither Hero nor S20 are in the production yet because, I think, the first rides resulted in a very long lists of things "to do" before they allow wider testing and reviews. (Hero seems to be a couple of months more mature though, mostly because they targeted "lower" - to overtake S18.)

It is all ok. But I just hope that this war won't deliver us any unfortunate short-cuts in the final design. I really really want to see this S20 to be truly great. (And, as a consumer, I do also want to know that the market didn't just fell down behind the introduction of S20 and that Begode Hero also is a good wheel - safe and satisfying.)

I hope all manufacturers take time to think thoroughly and work out all little details of their great final products. 

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, That Guy said:

I think we see a marketing competition between Begode and KingSong.

I’m sure the events went pretty much like you described.

They are both aiming for an off-season launch though. If S20 is planning on being at the customers hands in Jan-Feb, it would seem that they’d have two full months for free to be used for product finalizing, without taking much of a hit in sales.

Unless the launch gets delayed as is, as that would make the timing pretty perfect for the 2022 riding season.

I can’t wait to hear about Inmotion though! They must know very well that if they miss the spring 2022, they are going to be hit pretty hard.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

They are both aiming for an off-season launch though

I have no deep knowledge of the market, but it appears that most enthusiasts ride 9 months a year or more, so seasonality is less important for the high-end wheels but still very important for the 14"-16" sub 1500$ market [Maybe it's different in the US where even newbies looking for a hobby (rather than lifestyle/transport) buy Shermans as a first wheel]. 

Moreover while winter is still a mostly dead season for many, Christmas is traditionally a time where western people spend serious money on unnecessary things. So if you are not particularly financially independent and unhinged, Christmas is the best time to have your family/friends finance (or at least let you spend all of your own free money) an expensive toy (which EUCs still are to most people). Edit: that's why it's important to release a wheel some time before Christmas and promise delivery in December.

Anecdotally, I would personally buy a new wheel next spring, when KS is hopefully working on a second S20 batch and the S18 has received its update [a new, lighter, hollow-bore motor with similar design and tech to the S20, and some other improvements unknown to me]. However my birthday is in December and this time my age scores a multiple of 5 so I will be required to time my big purchase accordingly.

Edited by yoos
  • Like 1

Three great points, @yoos, that I didn’t come to think of! Christmas, enthusiasts’ riding season, and having the 2nd or 3rd batch ready for the summer.

Launching new models has often been in around May, although many launches have been postponed for a reason or another, shifting the first recipients’ to August. As long as the S20 can avoid that, If think KS are going to score well in the 2022 markets.

• Like 1

I hope that KS start production early, as with current delays and shortages in components availability production LT may be very long - in my professional field (IT related) LT is currently 9-11 months. 

• Like 1

For me S20 is fine around real buy in early spring 2022.

Shure only if all test and reviews end well (excepted results). 

My idea is sell KS16X or MSP2500W and buy S20 what euc i sell is only about climbing ability and overheat protection implemented in S20.

For long rides i plan holding sherman until some ultimate competitor overshine my V2 Sherman. 

Edited by DjPanJan
fix date
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, EMA said:

no one post this yet
photo_2021-10-06_17-57-13.jpg

They did ;)

On 10/2/2021 at 9:05 AM, Paradox said:

The power button position is certainly novel. I hope there's a convenient way to reach it from a typical standing posture... real 3rd-party reviews will tell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EMA said:

no one didn't post this yet ? how...

photo_2021-10-06_17-57-13.jpg

Holy cow. I wonder if they’ll recommend using latex gloves and lube each time you want to power it on.

that’s gotta be a prototype only thing, right?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, div said:

In normal use the access is probably behind the front handle, the gap where we can see his hand on the photo.

Yes, I think it looks like it could be accessed straight down from above just fine, but with the unit being up at chest level, it was probably less awkward to just reach in from the front. One would hope, ha!

Still, very much looking forward to a deeper look at the slider mechanism. With the hollow motor, hopefully it's smoother by design, without need of shims like the S18.

• Like 3

Kingsong has some of the nicest looking wheels in the 16x and s18.  Surprisingly, I like the Hero's aesthetics over this one.  But if it's a step up in safety and rideability, I can forgive the (imo) overdone design.  Like it's trying too hard to be sleek and sporty. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

Am I the only one who hates the purple?

I really hope the production version does not have any purple. Purple and Red don't exactly go together very well - I hope those parts are black or red.

I'm not a fan of the purple would prefer black but I also think it will not be that noticeable in the end.

All the reds will be the same shade of red, if I understood correctly. Whether they go with wine red or Ferrari determines a lot about the overall looks.

But I have to admit, even though I’m usually pretty critical, that I the S20 looks good to me. I even think that the purples are a nice touch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tryptych said:

Am I the only one who hates the purple?

You are not alone. I do not like it as well - it does not match with red, however for now I buy any colour scheme - and just modify it with pen/tape/paint/foil. This is not the colour we ride on....   

• Like 2

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)