Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

4 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

No...

4 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

No...

True and true. I know of no rule, law, or physics that prevent a standard hub motor from having a large diameter and thus enjoying the stated benefits. But for now, and for whatever reason, we're seeing the large diameter wheels fitted with hollow motors. I do believe this has everything to do with keeping the magnets as close to the edge of the rim as practicable lest you lack the thrust or resolution to balance the wheel… balancing being the first order of business, acceleration and braking second. Why did the designers choose hollow? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. But that's what's getting designed in.

Maybe it is just so that you can run heaver gauge wiring to the coils, maybe it simplifies the hanger system, maybe large diameter center axle motors aren't catalog parts. Maybe the solid axle necessary to support drops on a 35+ kg wheel is too expensive. Or too something else. Maybe hollow motors just suck in general so there's no market and they're cheap. Maybe it's just marketing.

I'm just guessing that going hollow allows the engineer to balance all of the tradeoffs to meet the company's goals.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 5:57 PM, mhpr262 said:

That tire looks like you will never have to worry about bits of glass or sharp gravel on dirt roads again. Those have given me three flats already with my V10F tire, twice I was  miles away from my home or car and the last time I almost collapsed with a heat stroke from having to push it back in my office clothes in the miday sun.

I wish you had heard of Slime, Goop, and other sealants we use in EUCs exactly so that the scenario you experienced wouldn’t happen! ;)

4 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Why is the choice between either traditional motors with tiny axles or else hollow-bore motors with massive-diameter bearings such that the bearing is *so* much closer to the outside diameter of the wheel and the water/dust/mud/etc there

I don’t think that the distance is relevant here. The V11 bearings are further from the ground than the bearings on any 14” wheel. Yet 14” wheels don’t have much of an issue with bearings getting water and crud inside.

Besides, ride a few thousand km and the bearings will be covered with a thick layer of all kinds of crud, no matter which diameter the tire or the bearings is.

My guess is that the internal seal on a large bearings is simply not as good in keeping the crud out. Maybe it can’t be made as tight, or maybe the seal is too narrow and thin in relation to the diameter to create a firm seal, etc.

--why not a traditional motor that just had an axle/hollow-bore but only like twice the diameter of the traditional axles?

That might not get enough distance between the motor bolts to be stable and durable.

I do believe this has everything to do with keeping the magnets as close to the edge of the rim

The magnets and the hub are located literally as far from each other that they can in an electric motor. The hub size has nothing to do with how close the magnets are to the edge of the rim.

Why did the designers choose hollow?

One major factor is the width. Having the ability to put even a thick vertical shock absorber tube right across the center of the wheel. Had the V11 design used a standard axle, the wheel shell would’ve been about two inches wider.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul A said:

Kits with CO2 cylinders for tyre inflation are compact and light weight.

About the size of a 28650 battery, fits in a pocket.

Amazon, approximately $25.

We get off-topic here again....  but Lezyne bike pump cost about the same, is 14 cm long, weights 79 grams and never runs out of pressure....       I use earlier model for 5 years already and it will work for 20+ years more ...      I also recommend SLIME  - I use it on every wheel.

https://allegro.pl/oferta/pompka-lezyne-pocket-drive-abs-flex-160psi-11-bar-11027629860?offerId=11027629860&inventoryUnitId=oKbigffEddAcHiAj18h9TQ&adGroupId=MGMzNjFlZWUtNDdjZi00Y2U4LTk5NzctY2M2Y2E4NWMzNWZlAA&campaignId=Njk4YzM5NzQtZjNlYy00NDliLWE4Y2MtMjE5NDRiMGI3N2VjAA&sig=8964cfd5c348d480834ce1ec477175fc&utm_feed=aa34192d-eee2-4419-9a9a-de66b9dfae24&utm_content=supercena&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ads&gclid=CjwKCAjwndCKBhAkEiwAgSDKQWBppNlaQjdHTJaynLxJ207b-9kowL3gYymxCI6K-WSwPr5KJrBrOxoCkbIQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I wish you had heard of Slime, Goop, and other sealants we use in EUCs exactly so that the scenario you experienced wouldn’t happen! ;)

I did order Slime from amazon right after the first flat on a gravel road, but then I kept riding because I estimated the probability of another flat before I could fill my tire with Slime to be almost nil ... I promptly got the next flat tire one day before the stuff arrived.

• Like 3

How plausible is this for a safety feature:

an anklet with a battery, capacitor, and electrodes.

In grade school we used to zap each other with the flash capacitors from disposable cameras. A hell of a pinch- you would get impossible-to-ignore feedback from one half that size no matter how distracting your environment. And because its on the surface of your skin, with points of contact close together, there is only pain- no muscle twitch. 

aside from the fact that this could be rigged to run from the existing beep-speaker wiring (overcoming bluetooth’s subpar reliability), it would also train our reflexive animal brains to anticipate and avoid overpower situations!

(i don’t know how serious i am, here)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

honestly? :wacko:

1 hour ago, Richardo said:

How plausible is this for a safety feature:

an anklet with a battery, capacitor, and electrodes.

In grade school we used to zap each other with the flash capacitors from disposable cameras. A hell of a pinch- you would get impossible-to-ignore feedback from one half that size no matter how distracting your environment. And because its on the surface of your skin, with points of contact close together, there is only pain- no muscle twitch. 

aside from the fact that this could be rigged to run from the existing beep-speaker wiring (overcoming bluetooth’s subpar reliability), it would also train our reflexive animal brains to anticipate and avoid overpower situations!

(i don’t know how serious i am, here)

We would look like convicts on parole ahahaah 

• Like 1

Looking forward to see how the new suspension sliders look like... I will reach 5000km on S18XL next week - and those black pipes are not black any more at all... especially left rear is kind of "shaved" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BecauseFun said:

If this video had showed up last Saturday as originally planned, I might have been kinder.

Maybe you missed it but they did release a video last weekend with riding and going down a small staircase

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grimm10 said:

I pre-ordered my S20 yesterday after cancelling my order for a V12.  All the extras the S20 is offering, the suspension, larger wheel, spiked pedals, longer range, bigger motor, etc. helped make my decision.

While reading up on the basic specs of the King Song, I came across an interesting bit of info... The rider age range is 18-50 years old.  I'm 53 years old!  Guess I have to cancel my order! 😆

So basically, adults with money but before arthritis? Thats a wide damn range of averages. I bet the same can be said of a LOT of expensive toys that require physical effort. The most effort is the mental effort when preordering something. I hope the s20 turns out to be a damn fine wheel. I cant see me needing another anytime soon, but when has that stopped me?

I do hope you dont have to power the wheel off to use the kickstand. Honestly, I think the pad design looks great but I kind of prefer an easy spot for custom pads if so desired. KISS method ftw!  I wonder if those lower pads can be removed in total? Foot locks bother my feet and pads that are built in, may pose problems for matching everyone. Remember the pads that Kuji inspred on the s18? I think theres so much 'new' going on with this one, its a HUGE leap of faith to preorder. Damn I wish there was a place to test ride these things, within 100 miles... :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

So basically, adults with money but before arthritis? Thats a wide damn range of averages. I bet the same can be said of a LOT of expensive toys that require physical effort. The most effort is the mental effort when preordering something. I hope the s20 turns out to be a damn fine wheel. I cant see me needing another anytime soon, but when has that stopped me?

I do hope you dont have to power the wheel off to use the kickstand. Honestly, I think the pad design looks great but I kind of prefer an easy spot for custom pads if so desired. KISS method ftw!  I wonder if those lower pads can be removed in total? Foot locks bother my feet and pads that are built in, may pose problems for matching everyone. Remember the pads that Kuji inspred on the s18? I think theres so much 'new' going on with this one, its a HUGE leap of faith to preorder. Damn I wish there was a place to test ride these things, within 100 miles... :)

In the live stream with evx @Jack King Songstated the pads could be removed completely and custom pads used in its place as it's a flat panel behind the stock pads.

• Like 1

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)