Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

On 9/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, Lukasz said:

Key is to start with "warm" wheel - so that it is stored in the heated room, and after the ride - before You charge it - it would be good to wait a few hours so temperature of the cells stabilize 

Yes it's fun to ride in winter. I'm in Montréal and I was out on my Nik+ every day in January and February when the temperature was above -10C and the roads were dry (most bike paths are covered in snow and ice). Some friends with studded tires would even go riding on the frozen St-Laurence River (near the shore). 

When getting back home, I would usually wait an hour to let the wheel warm up before charging it. 

No problem at all doing this, you just get about 20% less range. I dress like I'm going downhill skiing and I have a blast! Fresh falling snow and Nylonove pedals go very well together! 😁

Heated soles in the boots are a must though. 

Edited by Patrick Robert
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2021 at 4:03 PM, Paul A said:

@mrelwood

4oC is cold.

45oC in summer is nothing unusual.

-15•C is too cold.

+28•C is too hot.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:03 PM, Paul A said:

Just seems weird that the refrigerator can be warmer than outside. :huh:

Just doesn’t compute that the air temperature can be hotter than skin temperature. :lol:

• Like 2

See all those little holes in the path made by feet people? This is why I’m on the preorder list… snow is way fun!!! I was riding my 16x on the stock H666, am hoping the S20 tire works as well!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

-33c is my coldest commute, not counting windchill which at 40kmh riding speed takes it down to -51c.

That is very brave as battery chemistry have a hard time at those temps. 

• Like 1

Just now, Unventor said:

That is very brave as battery chemistry have a hard time at those temps. 

I keep an eye on the temperature; start warm, the commute is only 6kms, the goal is to get to work before things cool down to the point of being a problem.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fryman said:

Is this the s20 thread?

Yes. :-)

We're all just hanging here and killing time waiting for any photo or comment from @Jack King Song from his first try of the s20, or any leak or speculation at all from any unverified source...

So, what temperature are you riding your wheel, @fryman? :-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fryman said:

Is this the s20 thread?

We were debating operation temp. You will see that if you go back a few post why.

8 hours ago, winterwheel said:

-33c is my coldest commute, not counting windchill which at 40kmh riding speed takes it down to -51c.

As a fellow Canadian I enjoy a good snowstorm (the sound of it, so nice!), but -33C is just nuts. C'est inhumain! 

Unless you're training to go to Mars, of course. We'll need EUCs there also!

//

About the S20, I don't use my S18 in winter. Not sure about getting dirty slush inside the suspension columns. It's steel after all. And all those exposed screws. 

I prefer to use the Nik+ for the cold season. It's a warm wheel, so it should lose a bit less range than the exposed batteries of the S18. 

I probably won't use my S20 in the snow either. 

Edited by Patrick Robert
  • Like 1

I think it is a good discussion in this thread! For me anyway, adding the suspension will make winter riding quite a bit more pleasant (I hope), and the larger battery will help offset some of the range penalty of cold weather operation. Absolutely one must be mindful of battery care! But things like tire choice and how well the wheel handles things like melting the snow off are important. I really like to be able to use my toys all year round. And I’m not the only one, obviously!

• Like 3

I do find it remarkable that @winterwheel can ride safely in those conditions...!

Winterwheel -- do you have metal studs in your tires? I assume at minimum they are knobby, that that doesn't do much on ice. I rode a winter once in the interior of BC on my mountain bike with metal studded tired, only crashed a few times lol.

33 minutes ago, UniMe said:

I do find it remarkable that @winterwheel can ride safely in those conditions...!

Winterwheel -- do you have metal studs in your tires? I assume at minimum they are knobby, that that doesn't do much on ice. I rode a winter once in the interior of BC on my mountain bike with metal studded tired, only crashed a few times lol.

Part this is alway staying on top of the wheel and no Gotway lean to acc. or brake,  or side lean to turn.

It is scary at first. And maybe lower air pressure a little too. 

And when you hit a spot of ice you do not charge direction or speed. If it is clod enough then you ride on snow and not ice. 

10 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Riding in snow and ice, not easy.

A few days after snowfall, the roads are dry. 

More fun to just go out and ride the concrete slopes than packing the ski gear in the car, driving an hour to the hills, looking for parking for half an hour, getting in the lineup for the chairlift, and going down the hill a few times while avoiding those crazy snowboards. Oh, and driving back only to find your parking hole in the snow taken by someone else. Looking for parking, again. 

• Like 2

might not have fallen with metal studs in the tire.

The good thing about ice is that you slide, this reduces the impact forces of a fall. Crunchy snow on pavement is kinda grippy so long as there isn't ice under it, but falling on it sucks unless there is enough to cushion the blow.

• Like 1

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)