Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

30 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I get that more voltage = less current requirement but are there really that many 'normal' riders who are burning their wheels up?

I don't believe the S20 is marketed towards 'normal' riders.

They are not discontinuing their S18, this isn't a replacement in their lineup, it's a higher end wheel for people that want it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I'll admit I can't see the point of having over 100v either. My Nik+ goes fast enough to get me in trouble. I know there are a few individuals who want to go at silly speeds but the majority of us probably stick to more sensible speeds. I think Seba did a study of the data fed into EUC world and 90% of riders rode 15mph-25mph (I can't recall the exact numbers). I appreciate you guys have already designed the wheel, and it looks great, but I can't see the point of the big voltage jump. Could anyone say the pro's and cons of doing this? 

The way I see it is that they've designed a wheel that will fit a majority of riders, no matter if you wanna go fast, slow, off-road, pavement, skatepark, etc. It has it all, great all-around potential if it lives up to all those specs.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PourUC said:

The amperage going into the board would still be high.

I get that :)

We went from 67v to 84v to 100v all for the same reason essentially.

This is where I am not so sure. The big push to 100v was purely for speed reasons IMO. I am not sure that GW were too worried about the odd 84v MSX board burning up due to current. But you may feel different of course.

Your argument could be given to 100v wheels, why not stay at 84v and just put more batteries in parralel so that higher amperages can be achieved.

Haha, touche :)

I do take that point as well. But lets just say that at around 60v you are right at the edge of Speed Vs Torque (and safety) requirements for what many riders want, in conjunction with 'reasonable' board design/components (lets say Z10). So with 60v as a benchmark minimum, how much voltage is actually needed? I guess the question is, how much is enough? 84v raised the bar as you say, gave us more speed and reasonable current requirements. So then we went to 100v, even more speed and again less current. So now we are at 127v, at what point do we say 'shit lads, lets make some decent electronics because otherwise we are gonna need 240v soon' :)

Because the components that amperage has to go through now needs to be much beefier than just increasing the voltage and insulating the board better.

Totally agree, but there will always be a voltage limit somewhere, so I think we are nearing the point where the manufacturers need to focus on building decent enough electronics to handle the current, rather than just continually upping voltage.

Anyway, apologies, I think I have de-railed it enough. I do take and accept just about all your points though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eucnhtusiast said:

Kv and Kt are inversely proportional.

As that is the main point of my post this 

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

So if a specific motor is made for high low speed (low Kv) it will have a high Kt, meaning it creates more torque per current or other way round uses less current per torque.

this was a typo that makes no sense in combination with the rest of the post, as you wrote.

Thanks for correcting it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

So yes - increasing battery voltage is a very valid way to decrease motor current and by this the main mosfet burden!

*Only if, you use a lower speed higher torque motor. Inherently the higher voltage doesn't reduce current use in any way.

Edited by Eucnhtusiast
  • Like 1

Lots of technical discussion, but for me the question is simple -- would a higher voltage motor allow me to use the S20 in aggressive off road conditions as a 235lbs rider?

I'm not really interested in going fast on pavement and have long believed that the real future for EUCs lies in suspension and more efficient/lighter batteries and more powerful motors. None of the existing wheels are really there yet and need to be 'babied' to not burn them out, blow up the suspension etc. I have a background in mountain biking and dual sport motorbikes, I'd like to be able to push a wheel off road has hard as my body will allow me and for the pinch point to not be the hardware/wheel.

It's my impression that the S20 is a step in the right direction in terms of my fantasy application so long as the higher voltage allows me to lean hard on steep off road inclines long enough to get over them. I don't need to drone up 'overheat hill', but I do want to be able to climb up to a set of trails, handle the ups and downs of our very inconsistent local terrain etc. Even better, to get away from the 'kiddie park' bike trails and to go out where the off road motorcycles play!!

So, to the very intelligent and technically savvy folks here -- does the S20 get me there?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Lots of technical discussion, but for me the question is simple -- would a higher voltage motor allow me to use the S20 in aggressive off road conditions as a 235lbs rider?

I'm not really interested in going fast on pavement and have long believed that the real future for EUCs lies in suspension and more efficient/lighter batteries and more powerful motors. None of the existing wheels are really there yet and need to be 'babied' to not burn them out, blow up the suspension etc. I have a background in mountain biking and dual sport motorbikes, I'd like to be able to push a wheel off road has hard as my body will allow me and for the pinch point to not be the hardware/wheel.

It's my impression that the S20 is a step in the right direction in terms of my fantasy application so long as the higher voltage allows me to lean hard on steep off road inclines long enough to get over them. I don't need to drone up 'overheat hill', but I do want to be able to climb up to a set of trails, handle the ups and downs of our very inconsistent local terrain etc. Even better, to get away from the 'kiddie park' bike trails and to go out where the off road motorcycles play!!

So, to the very intelligent and technically savvy folks here -- does the S20 get me there?

It's all new and unproven technology at this stage, nobody can say yet. And once it releases, it probably won't compete with gas bikes, period. The RS is as good as it gets with torque, so the gw Hero would be more suitable for your use case, but I digress.

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Electric motorcycle, some specifications, might be relevant with regards to what is possible.

https://www.energicamotorusa.com/electric-motorcycle-energica-ego/

POWER: Peak 169 Hp – 147 Hp Sustained

TORQUE: 159 lb.-ft

TOP SPEED: 150 mph

ACCELERATION: 0-60 mph 2.6 sec

RANGE: 261 miles City / 123 miles Highway / 153 miles Combine

BATTERY CAPACITY: 21.5 kWh lithium-ion battery that is still largest of any bike

MOTOR: HSM (Hybrid Synchronous Motor) Liquid-Cooled 3-Phase – 300 V – 12,000 rpm with Adaptive Control Inverter

page-ego-model-2021-1.jpg

300 V – 12,000 rpm with Adaptive Control Inverter

Sounds like it could be an AC motor with talk of an inverter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eucnhtusiast said:

*Only if, you use a lower speed higher torque motor. Inherently the higher voltage doesn't reduce current use in any way.

Yes. But it gives the possibiliy if it is a design decision.

As Kingsong historicly was never on the top with high speed it is likely that the higher battery voltage is used for "low current torque" - relieving the burden from the mosfets. Or most likely some "nice" compromise by also getting a bit higher with speed, especially increasing the safety margin.

Hopefully the "open design" will be used to additionallly provide some real cooling for the mosfets. And place the capacitors so they stay well wirhin their 105°C limit. And, like inmotion used multiple paralleled smaller capacitors to divide the ripple current - as far as i understood this...

But as you wrote, we'll see once it's released.

• Like 3

Ya, obviously I'm not comparing it to a gas dirt bike... 

If folks don't ride in off road terrain then you probably won't know what I mean. there's the flat, rolling off road that I see a lot of EUCs on, and then there is real off road that is not well groomed and has much less consistency in the terrain. Lots of steep ups and downs, short bursts of power to get over things etc.

The bar is obviously very low as we're just a couple years past EUCs being overbuilt toys. They have potential though... especially with adequate suspension travel and power. They're also relatively cheap... could have 2-3 for the cost of a dirt bike (well, the type I would buy anyway). so riding one with another charged up in the truck for a swap. Or, like Zero tried to implement (rather unsuccessfully), swapable batteries!

The other thing I would really like to see is a software feature that prevents the wheel from changing direction and spinning uncontrollably in reverse when airborne... even with little hops this is a risk. Small backward spin puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the wheel, uncontrolled = immediate faceplant. There must be a way to prevent this from happening, and the need to do it will become more and more important as the wheels develop robust suspension that begs to be jumped. don't know about you all, but I tend to lean back a small amount when in the air. It's instinctive at this point.

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

There are more than two possible Kv ratings to aim for when making a motor.

The way Jack@KS explained it was that they built (or plan to build) a 126V high torque motor, the high voltage making it also higher in speed than a 100V HT motor. So in a sense, they do plan to pick both.

Yeah, you could do any number of combinations, factor in the magnets, stator poles and all that...

The pick one only applies when the operating parameters are the exact same(ie, line voltage, controller, etc), comparing a higher voltage system to a lower voltage system is redundant, the higher voltage system can apply more work in any situation regardless of motor specifications(well if the motor is smaller then this doesn't apply). This is like comparing an 3.0l inline 6 to a 4.0l v8 and saying the v8 is better because it has more pistons, while technically true, the added displacement is actually what matters more.

20 hours ago, Eucnhtusiast said:

See this doesn't work, a high torque motor creates a LOT of back EMF, which rises with motor rpm(the motor is creating an opposing voltage that affects the ability of the battery to supply current). Once high enough, NO current can flow into the motor, thus no torque is produced meaning you fall. No amount of parallel batteries can solve this. Upping the voltage lets you do what you think parallelling more batteries does. Which is flowing current in to the motor to produce torque.

Thanks for that, I stand educated! Well explained :)

I'm still not sure we need 126v wheels though, most 100 volters seem to be doing pretty good these days. I do accept that raising the bar is always inevitable though :lol:

• Like 1

Ejecting from any fighter jet can be deadly.

One in three probability of breaking spine.

Acceleration forces can be up to 16G.

Downward forces on mass of head, helmet, mask can break the neck.

Leg fractures.

Can impact on overhead canopy that hasn't separated cleanly or quickly enough.

Possibly ejecting at high altitude into thin air, at supersonic speeds, into wreckage debris.

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)