Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

S20 Headlights:
@Jack King Song

1. 15° angle for tiltable headlights - its great idea, but is that enough tilt?
    I often commute over shared way for cyclist + pedestrians. I would like to use EUC headlights at evening but not to vaporize pedestrians with 40Watts :). (And I would not ride there 70km/h with request to see behind corner)
  2. Is it also dimmable (could be in few steps)?
    Sometimes its good to be seen by others better (foggy, late afternoon, alley of trees with shadows during sunny days) but not necessary to full fire lights.
    Plus in some countries (ex. Czech) cars must have daylights on, motorbikes also. Question is why others on road shoud not, sooner or later.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Miko.cz said:

Plus in some countries (ex. Czech) cars must have daylights on, motorbikes also. Question is why others on road shoud not, sooner or later.

agree, this should be a shared general rule across the world imho 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miko.cz said:

Is it also dimmable (could be in few steps)?

A good idea would be to have full control over the 8 leds, so you can choose which ones should be on or off or blinking (and you could set and save patterns or choose from preset manufacturer patterns). You could then define a set of patterns (e.g. "full light, daylight, speed-sensitive") and the EUC on/off button would cycle the headlights through that set of selected patterns.

Many EUCs already come with decorative LEDs with a variety of preset patterns to choose from, in particular speed dependent patterns. It should be a no-brainer to apply this customization flexibility to the headlights of the S20. You could also allow a programmable dependence on acceleration/velocity/lean/light sensor to make sophisticated smart light profiles.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Why would anyone want to control their front headlamp like that???

I would, for a number of reasons :) Since an automatically, dynamically adjusted tilt is not available yet, this could be substituted by having the four leds in each column having varying angles. You could then setup the algorithm in such a way that at low speeds you only have the lowest beam and then, as speed increases, you would add ever higher beams. Moreover, you could mimic the corner lights some cars have: dedicated leds to shine into the turn which are only switched on when you are turning (or simply leaning, as this is easier to detect). I would also like to be able to have a decent headlight accompanied by a weak blinking low beam to increase my visibility without blinding or causing damage to onlookers. You could also replace one of the leds with yellow and use it to indicate turns (however, indicating turns on an EUC body is silly in general since an EUC is so narrow, I always indicate with hands).

Having multiple leds allows for a lot of flexibility and it would be a pity not to unlock these options. I do not want all users to be forced to use an app at all, just give them the typical kingsong patterns (high beam/low beam/both) to cycle with the physical button. However, having the option of finer control would be great. It would allow users to experiment with different profiles and configurations and eventually Kingsong could learn what the most practical/desired configurations are.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Wouldn't control and settings of lights be within an app as it currently is with EUC world?

Yes, it would. I just hope that we will get more options than just preset "high/low/both/blinking/auto" headlight options and that we will have some control over individual leds. Coupled with any kind of led modularity this would give great potential to modding headlights.

Edit: of course, this is all not very important to this wheel, and the wheel seems great and innovative anyway. It's just an exciting option that can be added at almost no cost since customization was already available for side leds on kingsongs own models (16S, 18L etc.)

Edited by yoos

Hand held torches available from Ebay, using CREE brand high intensity LEDs are incredibly bright, much better than weak headlights on an EUC.

CREE LED lights are proprietary technology/intellectual property of an American company.  Lumens claims are realistic.

Chinese companies have a copy version that is cheaper, reasonable, but not as brilliant.  Stated lumens claims are sometimes greatly exaggerated.

18650 batteries from recognized Japanese/South Korean battery manufacturers of Panasonic, Samsung, LG, etc are high quality and deliver long operational times, even with torch at brightest mode.

Chinese brand 18650 batteries make greatly exaggerated claims of amps capacity, much cheaper though.

31 minutes ago, yoos said:

Since an automatically, dynamically adjusted tilt is not available yet, this could be substituted by having the four leds in each column having varying angles.

This would be a good idea, not for varying the headlight angle based on speed, but on incline of the road. Currently all EUC headlights point at the ground while on an incline and blind others while on a decline.

Edited by itsmark
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, yoos said:

I would, for a number of reasons :) Since an automatically, dynamically adjusted tilt is not available yet, this could be substituted by having the four leds in each column having varying angles. You could then setup the algorithm in such a way that at low speeds you only have the lowest beam and then, as speed increases, you would add ever higher beams. Moreover, you could mimic the corner lights some cars have: dedicated leds to shine into the turn which are only switched on when you are turning (or simply leaning, as this is easier to detect). I would also like to be able to have a decent headlight accompanied by a weak blinking low beam to increase my visibility without blinding or causing damage to onlookers. You could also replace one of the leds with yellow and use it to indicate turns (however, indicating turns on an EUC body is silly in general since an EUC is so narrow, I always indicate with hands).

Having multiple leds allows for a lot of flexibility and it would be a pity not to unlock these options. I do not want all users to be forced to use an app at all, just give them the typical kingsong patterns (high beam/low beam/both) to cycle with the physical button. However, having the option of finer control would be great. It would allow users to experiment with different profiles and configurations and eventually Kingsong could learn what the most practical/desired configurations are.

I wanted to say the same thing, I really hope the 4 row of leds have different tilts by default so you can choose how high you want to light the road ahead by turning them on and off seperately, further adjusted by the 15degree tilt if needed. It would also be a cool touch if you could set the speed at when they would turn on.

If we are already talking about convenience, I hope there is a way to carry the wheel without having to turn it off and then on again like with the sherman...it is a real pain if you are forced to carry over obstacles many times.

One more thing, is it finally possible to turn off kingsong beeps? I remember it beeps like a hundred times when bluetooth connects...

Edited by Ádám Szitás

9 minutes ago, Miko.cz said:

It will not substitude rider hand, it would be just cool maybe.

Indeed it would be cool and I would like to have this option. Quite ineffective, yes, but it could serve a legal purpose: some jurisdictions may require vehicles to have turn signals. The blinking led on turning side would fulfil this requirement.

Edit: and since it would be activated by lean you could never be accused of turning without indicating :) However, don't carve with this option on.

Edited by yoos

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Hand held torches available from Ebay, using CREE brand high intensity LEDs are incredibly bright, much better than weak headlights on an EUC.

The V11 headlight is much brighter than any of the 1x or 2x 18650 Cree handhelds that I have owned. I have not invested very much in them though, and I know that there are better options available. But they are definitely not automatically better than any EUC headlight.

1 hour ago, Ádám Szitás said:

One more thing, is it finally possible to turn off kingsong beeps? I remember it beeps like a hundred times when bluetooth connects...

Removing the KS beeps has been an ongoing process for about two years now since Jack asked about what the community wants. The answers were pretty unanimous. I guess it’s just a really really difficult thing to do… :facepalm:

1 hour ago, itsmark said:

Unpopular opinion: EUCs with turn signals are actually more dangerous than without since they don't reflect what the rider is actually about to do. They might turn on when the rider is carving or not turn on before the rider is making the turn. This makes it so that turn signals are not reliable and only give wrong info or the info is given too late for others to make decisions based off it. IMO the only way to make turn signals on an EUC make sense is by making the rider directly control it (say with a remote), but at that point you should just be using hand signals instead.

I guess their behaviour could be selected in the app so you can choose to have automatic turn signals or not. Being able to say you have turn signals just removes another hurdle that the law might throw at us. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ugoaps said:

IMG_20210909_192634_804.jpg

I wouldn't get too worked up just yet.  eVX playing games.  It is on the NYC telegram chat.  Jack is leaving KS, but doesn't seem to be related to this.  eVX said on telegram that S20 is still 126v.  Perhaps Jack or Mickey will be kind enough to clear this up for us.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 11:18 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

I guess their behaviour could be selected in the app so you can choose to have automatic turn signals or not. Being able to say you have turn signals just removes another hurdle that the law might throw at us. 

Good point about turn signals, tho I wonder how many other obvious requirements are missing. I think they should be able to be turned off tho. I find the auto signals to be a distraction from my 'brake' lights on the sherm. And hell, a turn signal is supposed to indicate intent. Its no longer intent and is too late, if it comes on once you begin the turn. Isnt it 100' prior to turn or something?  Bicycles dont require turn signals. I use my hand signals as I've done since a child. One could ponder if the safest is to simply have a remote and backpack with signals, as previously mentioned...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)