Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

22 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I think I'll wait to see a REAL wheel on a REAL scale. Dont we recall how the published weight of the s18 also got heavier as it neared release? So much thought and energy wasted in even reading spec sheets and listening to rumors. Yeah, its rumors until it's reality.

great words, +9000  :cheers:

btw to all people who still think this kind of wheel could weight 28kg :facepalm:  ( which again is the weight of a "simply RS wheel" )

KS website on FAQ page already estimate 35kg... :smartass:

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:22 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Yeah, its rumors until it's reality

Some of it is speculative, however it isn't just rumours.

Some things you know are going to be a reality.

1) Suspension
2) Larger diameter tyre as stock
3) 2000Wh + Battery
4) Will have a screen
5) Will have adjustable power pads as stock
6) 40mph+ 

I say these things because some people (including yourself) seem to be taking this position that all of the above is just 'speculation' and it may be removed from the final product. That's just false.

Of course, things like weight are not concrete. But they won't just rip main features off the wheel. You can bet that the wheel will have the above things.

Also, many people like to be early adopters. Whilst I myself am not pre-ordering, I will still buy in batch 1. Pre-orders and myself will get the batch 1 wheel, warts and all. But it's not like the pre-orders are going to have a 16x turn up at their door.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 4:22 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

I think I'll wait to see a REAL wheel on a REAL scale. Dont we recall how the published weight of the s18 also got heavier as it neared release? So much thought and energy wasted in even reading spec sheets and listening to rumors. Yeah, its rumors until it's reality. I'm betting its a 5lb wheel that can go 100mph for 200miles with music, cruise control, cup holder, seat, suspension that rivals ANY motocross bike and can charge in 2 minutes by simply rubbing a piece of felt on it quickly.  Yup, that wheel is totally real, its just in prototype/render stage. Absolutely no different than the end result will be, I promise...

OR..... we could simply just wait to see how it winds up. Wouldnt it be so wierd if we all kept our money until the product was offered? Shouldnt pre-order customers be called 'financial backers' and be earning interest and/or stock in the company? As far as I'm concerned I'm owed an apology at the very least, for borrowing my money to finance a wheel that was nothing like it was represented prior to release. I'm waiting.....

I surmise I'll be waiting until at least spring, to see how this all REALLY pans out. Anyone else feel like making the company prove themselves to earn that bread? Yeah, that track record has taken a hit, you aint fooling me twice. I can wait... Just to be nice to everyone, I'll stay out of this thread until its no longer fiction at the very least. :D

Unlike Gotway which makes first batch buyers alpha testers, Kingsong first batches are more like beta testers :) With that said, I have one on pre order. The only point of speculation on my end is how intrusive the tiltback will be. If the S18 is anything to go off of, it won’t handle too well in a crash though. 

7 hours ago, PourUC said:

I say these things because some people (including yourself) seem to be taking this position that all of the above is just 'speculation' and it may be removed from the final product. That's just false.

I don't think this is entirely the case. Let me explain. 

Many manufacturers in EUC industry and other business es are having huge difficulty to source electronic components. In EUCs the most affected parts I can see are MOSFETs and displays and batteries. 

I could see the display being dropped if they cannot secure a large enough quality for production. It isn't essential for the product to work and it can easily be interduced in a mk II version.

Batteries are more tricky. It is hard to do a major change due to space and power demands. 

The bigger question here will be supply Vs demand and how long the component shortage continues. I work in a business were we see similar issues. My prediction is this is at least 6months+ problem. So by spring 2022 it might be almost normal again. But only time can tell. 

So back you what I quoted. Since they have not a set production model just yet it is still open to major changes and to me when first production series hit true end users or customers that is when it becomes more set what the S20 will be like. Yet all models are subject to changes. We have seen this in the past.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 3:47 PM, Paradox said:

The attitude of releasing wheels before fully tested.  Letting your first sales be your beta testers. 

That said some things do not show up until you have large scale production and true end users testing the limits of their new products. 

You see this in game and computer industry too. 

And like @Jack King Song wrote they do not force you to by 1st batch. I bought 3x 1st batch wheels of the 5 different ones I have owned. 

Now I have a wheel (or rather 2 of them) that suits me really great. So next time I will wait before buying a new wheel.

Now the S20 might be a big upgrade for some. But for me I don't see the need to move away from my 2x V11 just yet. If I got the option to test ride it or at least see it in real life view that could change. 

So to bring it back to your question. A manufacturer can test, iterate, test, change review, modify, test and review endlessly. At some point a decision is made to go into production and sale start.

In such a cycle some things can be missed out because of focus were on different things. Or some one comes up with a simple idea for improvement that is easy to implement. That is why people talk batches.

But I think we are starting to see a much more fluent development/sale/feedback/modification cycle happening. This is something you as a consumer have to vote with your wallet. It is a choice to be early adopter or betting of proven model. And it is an individual choice to make.

Moaning about it afterwards will not help. In that situation my best recommendation is to make the best of a not ideal situation. This is not something that changes because of a bigger $ bill. But the bigger bill most people tend to treat this more cautious.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:12 AM, Jack King Song said:

I understand you're view but at the same time if we didn't open it up for pre-orders we would be bombarded by the amount of messages. We do not owe you an apology since we are not forcing you to pay for an S20 just based off the render, that is purely your choice. I agree though, some riders even myself if I was shelling out my own money would wait for an actual product until putting down the pre-order but too many riders are too eager! 

That’s right We’re Eager for the Eagle! 40mph upstairs catching air off the top! We’re headed that way and can’t wait. Feels so good to fly and it’s getting better. $100 is just a ticket for the line. Cheap cheap. The future getting good!

3 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

@Jack King Song Hello is any posibility increase max alowed weight over 120kg?

Many actual EUC customers with full gear and backpack (chargeres etc) can easily hit 120kg.

Maybe that weight is based on the default spring they use and if you used the 1000lb tension spring he mentioned earlier it would handle heavier weight better.  Clarification would be good as to whether it's a spring based weight limit or strength of pedal hanger/other materials based weight limit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

@Jack King Song Hello is any posibility increase max alowed weight over 120kg?

Many actual EUC customers with full gear and backpack (chargeres etc) can easily hit 120kg.

1 hour ago, Heyzeus said:

Maybe that weight is based on the default spring they use and if you used the 1000lb tension spring he mentioned earlier it would handle heavier weight better.  Clarification would be good as to whether it's a spring based weight limit or strength of pedal hanger/other materials based weight limit.

120kg is the max weight they list for all their high-end wheels (18XL, 16X, 18S, etc); this has nothing to do with the S20's specific suspension system or particular spring used. They either simply don't want to take responsibility for use cases beyond that safe, low limit, or it's quite possible they don't even have a single employee over that weight/that's comfortable doing experimental testing.

This is true of all the EUC manufacturers. I think the highest official max weight listed by any of the OEMs is 130kg (~287lb) which is by Begode on some of their newest wheels, but otherwise even the majority of Begode's most popular wheels historically like the MSX had a weight limit of/around the common choice of 120kg. Even the Sherman's officially listed max weight is only 120kg.

(See my table in my sig to see the official oem numbers across the board, as well as to compare those against eWheels' listed recommended numbers.)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

they don't even have a single employee over that weight/that's comfortable doing experimental testing

If one person isn't heavy enough, add some more! (referencing KS videos where there were at least two people on a single EUC—although they didn't go down any stairs that I saw)

• Like 1

@Jack King Song

With the heavier 1000lbs spring, will kingsong also make adjustments to the air shock component of the suspension? I ask because I've put heavier springs on mountain bike shocks and found the rebound dampening didn't always function well. Hopefully this has been tested and kingsong knows that the valving in the base shock will handle the extra rebound force of the heavier spring.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UniMe said:

@Jack King Song

With the heavier 1000lbs spring, will kingsong also make adjustments to the air shock component of the suspension? I ask because I've put heavier springs on mountain bike shocks and found the rebound dampening didn't always function well. Hopefully this has been tested and kingsong knows that the valving in the base shock will handle the extra rebound force of the heavier spring.

I found 1000lbs's dampening quite good to be honest, once you land it sits completely still 

43 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

@Jack King Song thanks for putting this to public opinion, although you already know what my choice is from our recent conversations - the CST 6004 is my clear favourite tire by a huge margin!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:.

Please finish/round the sharp edges off near the lights and other body areas.

Yes, PLEASE. The sharp edges on the S18 pedal hangers are spooky.

15 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

@杰克金宋 您好,是否有可能增加最大允许重量超过 120 公斤?

许多拥有完整装备和背包(充电器等)的实际 EUC 客户可以轻松达到 120 公斤。

Refer to the experience of mountain bikes, the suspension models are easier to match the weight. If you are very light, you will stand on the suspension without responding. If you are heavy, the suspension will be compressed by more than half. According to the suspension adjustment experience of the mountain bike, it will generally be The pre-compression is about 1/3-1/4. I believe that more than 120kg will have no effect on riding, but it’s good not to hit the bottom. The current shock absorbers can be adjusted, which is very good.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

@Jack King Song thanks for putting this to public opinion, although you already know what my choice is from our recent conversations - the CST 6004 is my clear favourite tire by a huge margin!

I agree... this would be an excellent "standard" option. 

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

• mrelwood changed the title to Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)