Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Just for reference, what is the actual tire diameter (as measured with a ruler) of the S22?

Outer tire diameter is challenging to measure. What is standard and easily comparable between all EUCs is the rim size class.

KingSong S20/S22 has a 14” rim, just like all 18”, all so called 19”, and all so called 20” EUCs.

The outer diameter varies based on the tire model and width being used. To my knowledge no-one has yet precisely measured the outer diameter of the original S20/S22 tire.

GotWay started the +1 game when it increased the tire width to 18x3” on the so called 19” MSX (that says 18x3” on the tire!). Then I think it was Sherman that first +1ed that to 20” because it’s tire has the knobs on top. What’s funny though is that a Sherman with a street tire is still called a 20” wheel... I guess benefits are never lost. Sort of like a “New Game +” on some PS games.

5 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Renaming this wheel is both surprisingly understandable and pathetic. And wheel names, supposedly named after tire sizes, are even more meaningless now.

Exactly. I was able to deal with 18” wheels being called 19”, and even 20”, because there was no danger of mixing them with an actually larger size group. Even 21” would’ve fit in this paradigm.

But calling an 18” wheel a 22” wheel is just beyond ridiculous, and would be that even for BetWay. The Abrams 22” now has a rim 3” larger than the S22. That is simply wrong.

• Upvote 2

The whole concept of number in the model name implying tire size in inches was arbitrary to begin with and only kingsong was doing it, (with the exception of the Mten I guess). Not a huge loss there. Still hoping for some hardware changes, that might actually be worth the name change. 

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" is a popular adage from William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet.

What does the saying a rose by any other name mean?

It's from Romeo and Juliet and the full quote is: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet."

What matters is what something is, not what it is called.

Edited by Paul A

Should maybe drop the 22 and just call it the Eagle.

The specifications will detail the wheel size anyway.

The renaming seems to be attempting to cut away from the disaster.

People googling S20 will read about the explosive flamethrower.

Googling S22 will be cleaner.

• Upvote 2

Should have called it the pheonix, the wheel that arose from the ashes of the fallen. 

But seriously the rename is silly. There was no major changes, its the same wheel. Giving it a rename is sensless other than to try to blow over a PR disaster. 

An s22 would have been an awesome future product. A 22" suspension wheel with a 126v 3300wh 6p battery. That sounds like its right in a market category they haven't entered yet. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I read the last several pages of these posts after driving a couple of days - I have to put in my 2-cents.

I don't have experience with large manufacturers - but I'll guess @Tawpie can confirm that everything in a Boeing airplane is reviewed to death before production.  Significant failures in Boeing airplanes are rare.  Boeing does multiple reviews by multiple people to manufacture safe airplanes and maintain public trust.  When a Boeing airplane fails it's rare, really expensive and we all wonder why Boeing didn't find the problem before the airplane flew.  EUC Manufacturers and EUC Buyers are in a 'culture clash' that will get better when EUC manufacturers adopt some of Boeing's obsession for pre-production review.  I agree with @Tawpie, the Kingsong response to S20 New York fire is  better compared to spectacular EUC failures that happened before.

@supercurios focus on 'transparent communication between EUC Manufacturers and Buyers' is the best hope I see for EUC Buyers to relieve differences with Manufacturers.  By insisting on facts' then we're closer to dealing with under-spec'd MOSFETs / capacitors / batteries. 

EUC Distributors will probably push 3rd party review, emphasizing  batteries, which might help with batteries that shouldn't be on EUCs no matter the specification.  

EUC Manufacturers can make money by understanding they are in a 'clash-of-expectations' with EUC Buyers who value safety and reliability.. Pre-production technical review minimizes failure in early product release and meets Buyer expectations for safety and reliability.

Edited by Cress
  • Like 3

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edwardsegal/2021/10/15/boeing-faces-new-challenges-to-image-reputation-and-credibility/?sh=340a61c56bff

Oct 15, 2021

Boeing Faces New Challenges To Image, Reputation And Credibility

Boeing is facing two new challenges this week to its image, reputation and credibility.

Federal Grand Jury Indictment.

Yesterday CNN reported that a federal grand jury indicted a former key executive of Boeing for fraud. They alleged “he deceived the Federal Aviation Administration while it was first certifying the 737 Max jet that would go on to have two fatal crashes caused by design flaws.”

Improperly Made Dreamliner Parts

Boeing is confronting a different issue that involves another one of their planes.

According to Reuters, the airplane manufacturer said that “some titanium 787 Dreamliner parts were improperly manufactured over the past three years, the latest in a series of problems to plague the wide-body aircraft.”

• Upvote 1

https://worldofaviation.com/2021/08/faa-investigating-if-boeing-culture-led-to-employees-concealing-safety-issues/amp/

7 months ago

FAA investigating if Boeing ‘culture’ led to employees concealing safety issues.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating whether the “culture” within Boeing has led to employees concealing safety problems in fear of repercussions from executives.

The letter was sent on the 19 August, under the subject of an assessment results regarding Organization Designation Authorization (ODA), from the FAA’s Ian Wong, who assists Boeing’s safety oversight.

The investigation was conducted from May to July this year.

Out of the employees interviewed, 35 per cent of them voiced concerns indicating the “environment does not support” the authority of the ODA unit.

“Boeing’s company culture appears to hamper members of the ODA unit from communicating openly with the FAA, which is also identified as a concern,” said Wong.

The ODA unit enables the FAA to grant “designee authority” to organisations and companies.

The 20-month groundings from 2019 following two fatal crashes killing 346 passengers on a 737 MAX jet has continued to raise scrutiny on Boeing’s safety measures, even after recertification.

One employee said they had “an underlying feeling that sometimes I have to over justify my decisions at times”, according to excerpts from the interviews.

Another employee said their adviser is a “conflict avoidant”, where decisions that may compromise an applicant results in a negative experience, leading to “delays for resolution”.

Edited by Paul A
  • Upvote 1

As an enthusiast rider only, not an engineer nor expert in EUC development, I’m simply going to conclude if the distributors sell these then I will assume they do their due diligence, review KS technical reports, fixes, etc., and deem the Eagle safe for consumer use, then I will buy it. If it’s a lemon,  I’ll deal with them.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, UtahRider said:

As an enthusiast rider only, not an engineer nor expert in EUC development, I’m simply going to conclude if the distributors sell these then I will assume they do their due diligence, review KS technical reports, fixes, etc., and deem the Eagle safe for consumer use, then I will buy it. If it’s a lemon,  I’ll deal with them.

I can see what you are saying but we need to make sure Kingsong are going to look after the distributors in the back end. 

My store is a great small store, they do their best but I believe have to deal with lengthy warranty issues with some of the suppliers. 

I sought help in the past and the companies were the ones not wanting to pony up. That leaves the distributor out of pocket.

if distributors close due to wearing costs, their reputation at stake etc 

we have no community. 
so KS, step up with a strong backing of your product and give solid well spoken of service support to dealers and warranty to consumers. 

I'm hoping that the "fix" in software prevents the fires on this wheel. It's the most off road oriented wheel and will spend a lot of time off road.

A fire in the forest will make national news and cause us all a lot of problems. 

9 hours ago, UtahRider said:

As most have said. "WE" the costumer are the test dummy. That's why most people say: don't buy the newest euc, if you want something reliable. You need to wait at least 1 year, before said euc gets reworked, proven by customers. Example my ks18xl. It had the brittle black plastic inner shell, now it's white color and more rigid. Then it got updated motor, from 2000 to 2200. Lift sensor was changed over time.. So on..

They may release somewhat "good" euc, but over time they "polish" it. (I know it sound stupid as duck.. But that's how it is.. And we hate it.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

I agree with @Mango that Kingsong's response to the S20 fire is 'bean counter' style' but it is a response and it's progress because Kingsong responded.

EUC Manufacturers are extremely different compared to large manufacturers, very small shops without capacity to understand implications of design changes as their EUC product line evolves.   Each new model EUC is a modification of the design used before, leading to strange, under-spec'd components that would have been different if made by anyone who understands the technology.  

Progress by EUC Manufacturers is that they recognize and are responding  to product failures, corresponding with Users and Distributors.  @supercurio and a number of other people emphasize 'transparent communication' with Manufacturers  and I hope the trend continues.  If transparent communication is factual observation, measurements and testing the reliability and safety of EUCs can only get better.  Distributors have a big financial interest, are integral to EUC evolution and everyone benefits from Distributors communicating with Manufacturers.about design and component choices - before product failures upset evolution of the EUC.

Edited by Cress
  • Like 1