Decrease charging time! 5A High Current Charger Mod

Cranium

First quick test is does the power supply deliver the rated voltage and current?  Yep!  I am quite happy with this.  It is spot on!

567db0d82274d_StockVoltage.thumb.jpg.319

To test the current, I shorted out the leads through the multi-meter.  As a side effect, this also tests how the power supply will handle shorts.  A well designed power supply will see that there is a short and shut off the output to protect the power supply.  This one just reduces the voltage but keeps cranking out the amps.  In comparison, the Ninebot charger shuts off the output and then resets once the short circuit condition has cleared.

567db0da14d7c_StockCurrent.thumb.jpg.121

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

You better get a temperature reading on the battery while using this, that's all we need is reading your house went up in flames...

3 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Yeah, that current could raise the temperatures fast!

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will be very cautious to gain trust with this charger.  Initially, I will keeping the current down to about 2 amps to match the charger of the Ninebot's.  If things go well, I will probably slowly increase the current from charge to charge until I reach about 4 amps.  I will be checking the temperature of the charging wires and the battery closely during this process.  I certainly don't need any fires!  If I had the heat shrink to recover the battery, I would open up one of the batteries to examine the BMS and the cells to get the limitations directly from these.

26 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Isn't that lithium battery life would be prolonged by using only low current charging? 

Yes, however, it is only a big concern when you start charging at higher currents than recommended by the manufacturer.  Charging at a 1C rate is a typical rate to prolong battery life.  In general, you don't want your batteries to get warm while charging.  But there are some LiPo batteries are rated to charge much higher than 1C.  For example this battery from Thunder Power is rated up to a 12C charge rate at a whopping 92.4 Amps http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/Products/7700magna/TP7700-6SM70

If I charge at 4 Amps, which is double the rate of the charger that comes with the Ninebot, I am charging at only a 0.7C rate.  I would not be worried about decreasing battery life.  

Edited by Cranium
  • Upvote 3

Cranium,

How will you establish what the 9B's BMS can handle? Not only in terms of maximum current handling but also balance handling.

I would expect the 9B to have a good spec BMS (but it could be specified to a maximum 2A). As an example from the minimal research I've done some seem to just attempt to clamp each cell to its max voltage and can't handle much balance current. The spec on one unit I saw shows 4.25V +/- 0.03v with maximum  balance current of 38mA. Not only is that uncomfortably high V to start with, but It's going to have virtually no ability to clamp a cells voltage if the pack, as a whole is still sinking 5A, unless the BMS is also able to force the total current down, something that the spec didn't state.

5 hours ago, Keith said:

Cranium,

How will you establish what the 9B's BMS can handle? Not only in terms of maximum current handling but also balance handling.

I would expect the 9B to have a good spec BMS (but it could be specified to a maximum 2A). As an example from the minimal research I've done some seem to just attempt to clamp each cell to its max voltage and can't handle much balance current. The spec on one unit I saw shows 4.25V +/- 0.03v with maximum  balance current of 38mA. Not only is that uncomfortably high V to start with, but It's going to have virtually no ability to clamp a cells voltage if the pack, as a whole is still sinking 5A, unless the BMS is also able to force the total current down, something that the spec didn't state.

This is actually 2 good questions so I will address them separately.

Maximum Current Handling of the BMS:  This is an unknown.  I really don't know if it uses the same circuitry for the discharge monitoring as it does for the charge monitoring.   This needs to be determined still and could be problematic if I don't find a good answer.

Balance handling:  The balancing of the battery cells is completely separate from the general charging of the pack although they do work together.  A higher charging current to the pack will not affect the balancing current between cells.  The charging current is regulated by resistors or internally regulated by specialized balancing ICs on the BMS.  I found this IC that does just that: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq76940.pdf 

I found this picture from this thread.  

20151023_111227.thumb.jpg.15619df2c4bb1c  

There are some FETs at the yellow wire in the upper left hand side.  This is the charge cable and the FETs turn on the charging circuitry and may be regulated in some way.  I will have to make sure I don't exceed the current handling capability of these to safely proceed which means I may have to open up one of my packs to identify them and the balancing ICs being used.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Wow, you really opened your pack! Do you have the required shrink wrap to seal back this battery pack?

It isn't my pack.  @mumtaz opened up his packs and posted pics from http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/1571-ninebot-one-advance-bms-and-repair-workshop-shut-down-problem/

I would like to be able to open up my pack and re-shrink it.  Anyone know where I can get the heatshrink the size I can use for the battery pack?  I've found 4" but I think I need larger than that.  Maybe 6" or even 8"

2 hours ago, Cranium said:

Anyone know where I can get the heatshrink the size I can use for the battery pack?  I've found 4" but I think I need larger than that.  Maybe 6" or even 8"

Search for "shrink sleeve" "shrink tubing" in Aliexpress (or elsewhere)... it's available in many, many diameters, including several hundred millimeters (like 250 -> about 10"), usually at around 10mm steps.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, esaj said:

Search for "shrink sleeve" "shrink tubing" in Aliexpress (or elsewhere)... it's available in many, many diameters, including several hundred millimeters (like 250 -> about 10"), usually at around 10mm steps.

I need to buy some PVC heat shrink tubing for a battery pack.  Should I buy a certain percentage larger than the actual size of the pack?

1 minute ago, Cranium said:

@esaj Thanks for the tip. 

This will work for me:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/200mm-diameter-127mm-PVC-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Battery-Wrap-Mould-Parts-ROHS-1-Meter/32557485097.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.75.haioH8&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201644_1_79_78_77_82_80_62_81,searchweb201560_4

@SirGeraint, 200mm is the correct size for the Ninebot batteries but I don't know what size you need.  You would need to measure.

That would be too small IMO. It says 200mm dia. to shrink to 127mm dia. 

33 minutes ago, Cranium said:

@esaj Thanks for the tip. 

This will work for me:  http://www.aliexpress.com/item/200mm-diameter-127mm-PVC-Heat-Shrink-Tubing-Battery-Wrap-Mould-Parts-ROHS-1-Meter/32557485097.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.75.haioH8&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201644_1_79_78_77_82_80_62_81,searchweb201560_4

@SirGeraint, 200mm is the correct size for the Ninebot batteries but I don't know what size you need.  You would need to measure.

Thanks for the reply.  I measured the size of my battery pack (215mm total circumference; smaller than the 9B1 battery pack).  What I was wondering is if I should get the PVC Heat shrink 5% bigger, 10%, 20%?  I was thinking that I read that you are supposed to get it a bit bigger than the actual size (like maybe 5% bigger wasn't optimal and that you should pick a larger size).  Of course, if you get it too big it won't be able to shrink enough. Do you know? Thanks.

FYI, this is the URL I was thinking about ordering from.  They seem to have a lot of large sizes.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/180MM-lithium-batteries-lithium-heat-shrink-tubing-heat-shrink-film-sleeve-0-18MM-thick-high-quality/1843922060.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.9.rwhvMq&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_7

Edited by SirGeraint
Added URL

15 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

That would be too small IMO. It says 200mm dia. to shrink to 127mm dia. 

You are reading it wrong. :)

200mm is the width of it laid out flat.  127mm the diameter if you spread it out to a circle.  Shrinkage will be about 48% .

Math behind it:  200mm width = 400mm circumference.  

Circumference = π * Diameter  

Diameter = 400MM / 3.14 = 127MM

The width needed for the Ninebot battery is ~175mm so 200mm will allow it to fit fine.

Edited by Cranium
  • Upvote 2

Sorry about that. I fail miserably in math that's why it took me 8 years to finish college.

Please tell us if if fits when you get it. I would love to pry open my Ninebot battery to have a look if my BMS is still ok.  :)

Edited by SlowMo

3 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Please tell us if if fits when you get it. I would love to pry open my Ninebot battery to have a look if my BMS is still ok.  :)

Will do...I will also take and post pictures of the ICs that Ninebot uses on their BMS.

I ordered both blue and clear.  I will cut out the ninbot label and barcode and cover them with a clear sleeve. 

• Upvote 1

Since I had the battery out to measure the diameter, I also looked at the wire gauge of the charging cable.  It is 22AWG and, of course, I can't tell how many strands it has but this won't mater too much.  For the short run it has, I am pretty confident that 4 Amps through this wire will not be any kind of issue.  

I ordered some 18AWG and 16AWG silicone wire today from Amazon to use to make some custom wires for the box I want to build. 

@esaj, want to help design an Arduino based box that will be inline between the charger and EU?  I want it to monitor both current and voltage and have an SD card data logger automatically log the charge cycle data as well as have an LCD screen to display the data.  It will be similar to what the Charge Doctor does but different in that we can have it powered directly from the power supply and, of course, the data logging capability. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cranium said:

@esaj, want to help design an Arduino based box that will be inline between the charger and EU?  I want it to monitor both current and voltage and have an SD card data logger automatically log the charge cycle data as well as have an LCD screen to display the data.  It will be similar to what the Charge Doctor does but different in that we can have it powered directly from the power supply and, of course, the data logging capability. 

Sure, I'd like to help, but there are probably people in these forums who could design such circuitry on the back of a napkin over a coffee break... for me it's a bit more involved :D  

The LCD and SD card can (probably) be done fairly easily with existing libraries & component modules... I've got some 16x2 LCD's with I2C-communications (only 2 pins needed to control the display), 1.8" & 2.4" TFT's (with touch display, and the 2.4" -version also has in-built SD-card module) + some "Nokia 5110"-style LCD-displays that are still en-route. As not much data is needed, probably a basic 16x2 -display would be enough, either with I2C or with "direct" interface, depending how much pins you need elsewhere. Haven't used the SD-card module yet, but I'm sure it's fairly easy to interface with (with the help of existing libraries).

For the actual measuring, you're probably going to use resistor voltage divider in parallel with the output for voltage measuring and a very small-valued (milliohm-range?) "shunt"-resistor for the current measuring? ACS712 could also be used for "non-invasive" current measuring, although you might lose some precision, as it scales the values between 2.5...5V in one current direction and 2.5...0V for the other, the analog-inputs of Arduino Uno have 10-bit resolution, so that leaves "only" 512 values per direction. Not sure how precise the ACS712's are in the first place (probably told in the data sheets), with low currents and the 30A -modules, I had some problems with the value wandering (yeah, should have gone with the 5A-versions).

Not sure on the powering of Arduino-part, normal regulators probably can't handle that high voltage, so it might need some sort of (switching?) step-down -conversion (something I most definitely cannot design out of my head :P)  or do you have those LM5005's at hand?

• Upvote 2

@esaj,  Great!  

I already have the Arduinos, Blue and green 2 line LCDs, Nokia 5110 LCDs (all with I2C interfaces), SD Card reader boards, ACS712 (5A Version), misc. buttons, switches, resistors, caps, etc.  I don't have anything for the step down converter yet.  Many of them require some electrical design that I have some challenges with (determining caps, resistors, inductors).

The ACS712 is questionable.  I did a test of it using my bench power supply and came up with this linear regression formula:  I = 0.1857V + 2.5065.  5A would only be 3.435V.  With the Arduino, this limits the resolution to just below 30mA which is OK but not great.  It would be nice to have the accuracy down to about 10mA.  Going with a 16-bit ADC would probably be better.

Depending on the final design I may etch a custom circuit board or if it REALLY works well, I'll have some PCBs made and send you a couple. :)

Edited by Cranium
  • Upvote 1