Questions about getting off your wheels

Kwing

That's pretty much how I stop... the wheel is usually at (pretty much) standstill by the time I lift my other foot of the pedal. Probably you need some practice to keep the wheel from leaning back or forth with the foot still on the pedal, so it doesn't start moving when you lift your other foot.

I've had mine for a week now and that is how I get off as well. Pretty much one of the first things I wanted to be able to do, to avoid damage to the EUC or to myself. :P 
It is however something you need to learn, to balance the foot that stays on the wheel. As you said, to avoid it to move forward or backward.
Like getting off a bike...

This is essentially how you slow to a stop and remain stationary without using your hands. Practice balancing while going really slow (walking speed). Once you have mastered keeping your balance while going slow, you will be able to control and maneuver your euc with one foot on the pedal and the other foot on the ground, without using your hands.

Thereafter, you will be able to execute an emergency brake/stop with one foot on the floor (acting as an anchor/pivot) and guiding the euc to a stop along an arc around that foot acting as an anchor/pivot.

after an hour of practice I seem to be able to do it.. The trick is to slow right down and keep the foot flat on the pedal.. I realised I tend to tip my foot forward when I get off causing the wheel to spin off. 

Although I really need to work on my balance because when I ride at a very very slow speed I still wobbles. I find this clip really really useful! Will be practicing it today.. Perhaps I can also learn how to ride with 1 foot as well.. hahaha :D

https://youtu.be/Nbrs2pGQvsM 

8 hours ago, Kwing said:

Although I really need to work on my balance because when I ride at a very very slow speed I still wobbles.

I still have the same problem. The faster I go, the more balance and control I seem to have. Want to be able to control it at all times though.
Practice makes perfect!

I don't find the linked vid overly helpful. With some training (which is highly recommended), probably any EUCer can control the wheel with the remaining foot after having dismounted one foot. I find this even considerably easier than mounting. The advice to go slowly seems not overly helpful to me, as going slowly is difficult (certainly an exercise on its own right) and leads more easily to loss of control. I would consider dismounting is the final part of braking from 10-or-so-kph to the stand still. I find no need to go slowly in between, but it is important while braking to wait long enough (close to or preferably at stand still) before to dismount. I also don't care which foot will go down. I find it actually easier to let the situation "decide" in which direction the wheel tilts and then dismount this foot. To control the wheel with either foot is not overly difficult. On the other hand, before to re-mounting one might what to switch back to the favorite side. It took me a few months to give up the latter behavior.

So long as there are people around you (when you ride on walkways, foot paths or side walks) or there are vehicles around you (when you ride on the road) when you ride your euc, it is imperative that you learn how to maintain control and balance at slow speeds. Just like riding a bicycle, it is always easier to maintain control and balance while traveling at moderate or fast speeds. However, time and again, you will need to maneuver around people, vehicles and/or obstacles at a slow speed if you are not riding off road or in a deserted area. 

Once you are able to maintain control and balance at slow speeds, you will be able to slow down to a stop AND still maintain control and balance when the euc is momentarily at a standstill BEFORE dismounting one foot off the pedal.

I do not mean any offence but it is totally unsafe to ride in the midst of people and/or vehicles (be it bicycles, scooters, cars or other motorized vehicles) if you are unable to maintain control and balance while riding slow. You may crash and hurt yourself and others unless you intend to come to a stop whenever you are unable to overtake or maneuver around people, vehicles or obstacles.

54 minutes ago, Kwing said:

I watched lots of clips...  the trick still is to relax and bend your knees.. 

At times when I get really slow almost to a complete stand stop I still wobble a bit..

Do not worry.. Keep practicing and you will definitely get it. I was in your position not too long ago. Now I can ride comfortably with minimal use of my hands.

Just to avoid misunderstandings, I didn't want to say that learning to go slowly is not a desirable or extremely useful skill. I wanted to say that I don't find it to be a necessary skill to be able to stop and dismount cleanly.

Archived