Segway ninebot minipro battery problem.

Hello.

I have a problem with my segway ninebot minipro battery. Error 52 "voltage of battery cell error" occurs. I took out the batteries and the output is 58V. However, when turned on, the segway shows that the battery is low. The charger also refuses to charge it.

Anyone advise something?

Regards

You can only be certain of the pack voltage when there is a load applied. A weak cell in the pack will drop sufficiently enough to trigger the low voltage and the built-in BMS is likely believing that it's fully charged.

My Airwheel S8 has a pack with so many cells that were below acceptable levels that the system would not charge past 72% and my last trip turned into a walk home after three miles.

I've dismantled the pack and have begun to individually charge the cells, hoping to get them to wake up. The long term plan is to replace the pack with fresh cells and use the BMS from the original pack. If that doesn't hold up, I'll have to custom-fit a BMS too.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:55 AM, fred_dot_u said:

I've dismantled the pack and have begun to individually charge the cells, hoping to get them to wake up. The long term plan is to replace the pack with fresh cells and use the BMS from the original pack. If that doesn't hold up, I'll have to custom-fit a BMS too.

Hi Fred_dot_u  - I have a similar issue with an Airwheel clone that I have recently purchased.  The battery pack is 7 years old so guessing it's past any remedial measures but was thinking of replacing the cells and using the original BMS.  Would work out a lot cheaper than buying a ready to fit battery pack. Just wondering how you have got on with your one?  Any tips/pitfalls you'd care to pass on?  I've never done anything like this before but can solder etc. so believe it's within my capabilities.  Currently has 2200 mAH units fitted (16 of them).  Would you know whether it would be possible to fit higher capacity ones or is the BMS tailored to the 200 mAH units?

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 11:20 PM, matios222 said:

Error 52 "voltage of battery cell error" occurs. I took out the batteries and the output is 58V.

First : have a check with this wonderful app : https://mimod.ru/en_US/ninebattery/ and send picture of each cells voltage.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:20 PM, matios222 said:

The charger also refuses to charge it

Second : if all cells are OK, you can try to load through power output, if the load is OK it will show the BMS is faulty.

And a faulty BMS may send bad informations to mini's mother board and be the reason of all troubles.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lex Smith said:

Hi Fred_dot_u  - I have a similar issue with an Airwheel clone that I have recently purchased.  The battery pack is 7 years old so guessing it's past any remedial measures but was thinking of replacing the cells and using the original BMS.  Would work out a lot cheaper than buying a ready to fit battery pack. Just wondering how you have got on with your one?  Any tips/pitfalls you'd care to pass on?  I've never done anything like this before but can solder etc. so believe it's within my capabilities.  Currently has 2200 mAH units fitted (16 of them).  Would you know whether it would be possible to fit higher capacity ones or is the BMS tailored to the 200 mAH units?

I've topped off the pack and they all reached nearly the same level. Not as uniform as I'd like, but all things considered, it's better than walking home. I don't have the confidence I once had, to make three trips totalling 10 miles, but I can still drive to my objectives and use the scooter to get around on the property. I also monitor it more closely, hoping to build back the confidence.

I have considered to rebuild the pack with new cells and the original BMS, but I'd really expect the BMS was/is the problem, so researching has begun for a replacement. Everything seems to be coming from China and I'm sure I'll be a test bed if I buy one. It also means I will likely be creating this as an external mount, to enable a balancing charge, rather than depending on the BMS. It's one or the other, though. I have to figure out how to configure my charger to push the electrons into a split pack 8s2p x 2 along with all the tiny wires it represents.

Soldering is not a good idea. You'll note that nearly everything you see involves spot welding. Soldering to the top and bottom of a cell means pumping a lot of heat into a chemistry that may not react well to the increased temperature. The only exception I can envision is if you buy tabbed cells and solder the tabs, with perhaps a clip-on heat sink to keep the heat away from the cell ends.

I suspect the BMS is managed by voltage and bypass circuitry, not by counting coulombs, so the increased ampere-hour capacity shouldn't make a difference. My new cells are nearly twice the original, but I've not put them into use yet.

• Like 2