Vibrator engine

*StateraRotam*

5 minutes ago, *StateraRotam* said:

I would like for safety purposes a vibrator engine like device, like smartphones have, when you want to have a silent notification. Would this be feasable/useful to implement in an euc?

Frank

There is no technological reason you couldn't build a vibrating alarm mode into an EUC. It could definitely be useful in situations you can't hear auditory alarms well or if you prefer to not have auditory alarms.

Edited by VikB
  • Like 2

Hi Frank, I gotta say you propose a very interesting concept. I'm so tempted to say that yaa, its would definitely be of interest to the fairer sex if it also comes with a seat😅. Perhaps this is THE way to get more women involved with this hobby🥰

All in jest ofcos. Seriously though, I've no idea if vibrations can be converted to linear motion. Interesting thought experiment though

16 minutes ago, *StateraRotam* said:

I would like for safety purposes a vibrator engine like device, like smartphones have, when you want to have a silent notification. Would this be feasable/useful to implement in an euc?

Frank

Afair in the beginning there were reports/duscussions of eucs which let the pedals vibrate. Maybe solowheel?

Should be theoreticly possible. No idea if there are practical issues or why this is not used.

21 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

My ex-wife have several...

I was wondering who would nibble on that one....

I wouldnt think it would take much to incorporate a 'vibrate' mode on an euc. Tho it would probably be easiest if they did it at the factory. The simples current solution would be to get a droid device and set it to vibrate via eucw. Not a failsafe and built-in solution, but its feasible. I have a lemfo that hangs from my suit. When it vibrate I can sometimes feel it.  You could always try something like putting a vibrating solenoid on the beeper circuit. Just have to be mindful of resistance and amperage draw. I'd suspect youd need to install an amplifier circuit to boost the beeper power to a level that can throw a solenoid. With modern electronics and parts availablility, i could see it not being that big a task for an amatuer nerd... I guess the biggest issue would be.. where do you find room inside the wheel to put it, while it still being in a location that transfers vibration to the foot plates? A vibrating body panel would only work IF you were riding tight.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

33 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

vibrators will influence the screw(s)

If an occasional vibratory alarm was a problem the wheel would fall apart on any rough surfaces.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, VikB said:

If an occasional vibratory alarm was a problem the wheel would fall apart on any rough surfaces.

dont forget vibrations due to the motor. Big and small vibrations everywhere!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, *StateraRotam* said:

Frank

This is one of the reasons I made this project, I wanted haptic feedback. It is what you want I believe, portable and instant :)

10 hours ago, Tawpie said:

When my pebble that's velcroed to my jacket sleeve vibrates, it's like there's a small animal on my arm. Unmistakable.

Is the vibration on the pebble so good? Very interesting :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, *StateraRotam* said:

Frank

The EUC controller has to sense "level," "tilt," and "speed." I've seen this done in other applications with electronic gyroscopes combined with electronic accelerometers, and it appears to work similarly for EUCs. I would guess the EUC software is continually reading the tilt of the wheel (via electronic gyroscope) verses change in speed (acceleration), and discarding bad data (such as from rolling over bumps, gravel). If this is the case, gravel/bumps are a low-frequency vertical-plane vibration, where as a continual rotational oscillation (vibrator) also has a horizontal (speed/acceleration) component. This could potentially make the wheel  unsafe if the electronics were overwhelmed with vibrations.

(it's a bit more complex than that simplification, but close enough as to why adding an oscillator might cause unintended problems)

balanceboard-INNARDScomponents.jpg

Edited by WI_Hedgehog

I welcome any way to better the 80% beeps. Hearing them can be almost impossible especially when going against a strong wind, wearing a helmet. I also don't think an audio alarm is the best type of warning in general regardless of speed. 

Vibration if implemented correctly may very well be the best sort of alarm possible on a device like this. 

If someone found a way to tap into the wires or the part of the main board pertaining to sending the 80% beeps to the piezo we could send that signal wirelessly to either a phone over Bluetooth or a separate vibrator device you can strap around your arm or leg. 

However I would prefer there to be no reliance on wireless tech for safety reasons so making the euc itself vibrate would be preferred, installing the vibration unit on the inside of the euc to protect the vibration unit from crashes and the weather. But I wonder if those vibrations would be easily distinguishable from road vibrations, or if they would even be strong enough...

If someone finds a solution I'm interested in being a crash test dummy for science. 

I build wireless devices that works with haptic feedback motors, lights, and buzzers. There is a transmitter that is installed in the wheel.  Whenever there is a beep a little box mounted on the helmet beeps too. I'm building a model called the "Terminal" which has wire terminals. It can be wired up with a LED light or a vibration motor, or another buzzer. I've tested it with all sorts of feed back mechanism. Putting the haptic feedback motor on my skin behind my ear worked well.  But I prefer to just have it all mounted to the helmet. A helmet dampens the vibrations of those little motors.  So I current ride with a LED light and a buzzer mounted on my helmet. It works great. I used to have trouble hearing those beeps.

1598266482_Terminal-Vstrip(1).thumb.jpg.9f3b7a5499ef81684f76bc4113330f92.jpg

Edited by Zombie Batman
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

@Zombie Batmanhow much is it, where do I order it and when is the final version ready? I have been waiting for this for half a decade! 

I have no website yet.

I am Jason Macpherson.

You can order by DM either on this forum, facebook (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014010919350), or telegram (https://t.me/JasonMacpherson)

It comes as a DIY kit. The transmitter box needs to be installed inside of the wheel. It works on all Gotway wheels, and the Sherman.

I make three models. I posted images of the Terminal and Mirror models above.  The third model is the "Unibrow".

Depending on your helmet you might choose one model over another. The Unibrow will not work with a flip up visor. The Terminal works with motorcyclecle helmets, and allows for the most customization, but requires you to run some wires. The mirror model is great because you cannot ever miss the LED light. Personally I ride with the mirror.

$200 Unibrow Receiver with a transmitter.

$200 Terminal Receiver with a transmitter.

$240 Mirror Receiver with a transmitter.

$90 for an extra standalone transmitter (so you can install a transmitter in other EUCs)

Orders typically take a week to build and ship.

Unibrow-Vstrip (1).jpg

More photos:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RD9VLFQ1HxXBFBShmfpo9plp1Dpqx3Qf?usp=sharing

Edited by Zombie Batman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zombie Batman said:

I am Jason Macpherson.

Very nice Idea Jason, but I urge you to reconsider implementation, it can be easily done using a ~10usd mpow dsd6. I can help you with the code if you like. 

Actually, i can easily drive a small servo using the dsd6, so we could have an analog needle in front of us displaying speed, that lights up on alarms. I will prepare a demo, I think the benefits of having the client on a microprocessor are not yet clear. 

Edited by enaon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, enaon said:

Very nice Idea Jason, but I urge you to reconsider implementation, it can be easily done using a ~10usd mpow dsd6. I can help you with the code if you like. 

Actually, i can easily drive a small servo using the dsd6, so we could have an analog needle in front of us displaying speed, that lights up on alarms. I will prepare a demo, I think the benefits of having the client on a microprocessor are not yet clear. 

That would be cool. I'd defiantly want to see a demo. If you build it, I would probably want to buy one from you. You and I are solving different problems. I see more than enough room for both. To get the speed you'll need your own GPS or use a phone's GPS. I'm interested in knowing if I am at the wheels limits; which is not exactly the same thing as speed. On Gotway wheels, the app has to make a guesstimate of when to sound the 80% alarm. My setup intercepts the beep as it is triggered by the wheel's firmware. As I understand it, app based solutions can not do that for many types of wheels. The ExoBuzzer setup triggers within 1/20 of second on a beep. The phone/bluetooth solution is, at least in practice, much slower. Any Bluetooth and app based solution can never be faster than a round trip through your phone's bluetooth stack. If you add in a dsd6 (depending on how you implement it) you may even need two round trips through the bluetooth stack before you hear, feel, or see an alarm.

Edited by Zombie Batman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zombie Batman said:

That would be cool. I'd defiantly want to see a demo. If you build it, I would probably want to buy one from you. You and I are solving different problems. I see more than enough room for both. To get the speed you'll need your own GPS or use a phone's GPS. I'm interested in knowing if I am at the wheels limits; which is not exactly the same thing as speed. On Gotway wheels, the app has to make a guesstimate of when to sound the 80% alarm. My setup intercepts the beep as it is triggered by the wheel's firmware. As I understand it, app based solutions can not do that for many types of wheels. The ExoBuzzer setup triggers within 1/20 of second on a beep. The phone/bluetooth solution is, at least in practice, much slower. Any Bluetooth and app based solution can never be faster than a round trip through your phones bluetooth stack. If you add in a dsd6 (depending on how you implement it) you may even need two round trips through the bluetooth stack before you hear, feel, or see an alarm.

If not Bluetooth how is the signal transmitted in your ExoBuzzer? And how secure is the connection between the exobuzzer and receiver compared to Bluetooth? I know of crashes due to lost Bluetooth connection between EUC and EUC world mobile app, if that can also happen to this device it renders it almost as useless as Euc World alarms IMO.

I suggested that the EUC motor should vibrate so that alarms could be felt through the peddles (and so through our feet) on the thread where Inmotion was asking what we'd like to see in a EUC. I noticed someone from Inmotion liked it. 

AM I missing something? Wouldnt it just be UBER simple to piggy back the factory beeper? Anytime the wheel beeps, a solenoid vibrates? I'd have to see if the beepers are pcb or wired, but I would think that it could be retro fit on any wheel with a beep. I guess I'll see what I can come up with. I mean hell, if i can get it to work on ANY of the wheels, I would think it would work the same on ALL. Im busy atm, but sounds like a fun project, minimal invest, minimal risk.

Edited by ShanesPlanet