Rim replacement w/ wider rim and new hangers

EUCMasterRace

I’m on the waiting list w/ ewheels to get a new wider rim and new hangers that are compatible with the wider rim. My rim is dented but I want to have these parts in case the rim gets worse by breaking it causing the tube to bulge out.

I’ll update once I go through the process of fixing it but I may need your help too. For example what kind of sealant will I need to put the motor and rim together?

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 10:59 AM, EUCMasterRace said:

I’m on the waiting list w/ ewheels to get a new wider rim and new hangers that are compatible with the wider rim. My rim is dented but I want to have these parts in case the rim gets worse by breaking it causing the tube to bulge out.

I’ll update once I go through the process of fixing it but I may need your help too. For example what kind of sealant will I need to put the motor and rim together?

Snag a tube of basic sensor safe rtv in black. Use it sparingly and save whats left for a myriad of other projects. Crap, that reminds me: I need another tube too and my rim is otw. I figure I'd wait to go to the parts store tho, as it would be a miracle is thats ALL I need. I do think I'll need to cut a socket tho.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Snag a tube of basic sensor safe rtv in black. Use it sparingly and save whats left for a myriad of other projects. Crap, that reminds me: I need another tube too and my rim is otw. I figure I'd wait to go to the parts store tho, as it would be a miracle is thats ALL I need. I do think I'll need to cut a socket tho.

Awesome! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I’m really hoping I don’t break anything else as I take the wheel apart and put it back together. 

What socket will you need to cut btw? 

19 minutes ago, EUCMasterRace said:

Awesome! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I’m really hoping I don’t break anything else as I take the wheel apart and put it back together. 

What socket will you need to cut btw? 

24mm deep well. Maybe an impact, but be carefull not to get a quality thick one or it may not fit.  Use the rtv sparingly, as its merely sealing not bonding. You dont want excess to travel into the motor. Remember these chinese screws don't like much torque and DO NOT use loctite near plastic unless its designed for it. Here's Marty's vid. Mention of the socket is at 10:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3oTSjViZqk

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

24mm deep well. Maybe an impact, but be carefull not to get a quality thick one or it may not fit.  Use the rtv sparingly, as its merely sealing not bonding. You dont want excess to travel into the motor. Remember these chinese screws don't like much torque and DO NOT use loctite near plastic unless its designed for it. Here's Marty's vid. Mention of the socket is at 10:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3oTSjViZqk

Dang you’re really knowledgeable. I’m having ewheels install the pedal hangers so I hope to avoid that step altogether. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EUCMasterRace said:

Dang you’re really knowledgeable. I’m having ewheels install the pedal hangers so I hope to avoid that step altogether. 

Nah, Im just good at fooling people and hunting down info. Mines just coming as a rim and hangers, I'll have to swap over the motor. Im pretty sure itll be quite a feat to preinstall hangers on a bare rim with no center. Perhpas you're getting the entire motor and not just rim assembly? I just got myself a socket. It was about $10. Ill cut a notch and cover edges in electrical tape. If someone had a bench grinder it would be cake. Not gna catch me grinding any of the sockets in my sets! Carefull with plastic panel screws. Mine came with 2 of them stripped and they look of the same chinesium we'd expect. I replaced most mine with stainless allens. A set of those is like $15 and I've used quite a few in other places as well. I use beeswax on screws. I hope it doesnt melt(it aint much so little worry). I'd say my idea is still in 'testing' phase.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Nah, Im just good at fooling people and hunting down info. Mines just coming as a rim and hangers, I'll have to swap over the motor. Im pretty sure itll be quite a feat to preinstall hangers on a bare rim with no center. Perhpas you're getting the entire motor and not just rim assembly? I just got myself a socket. It was about $10. Ill cut a notch and cover edges in electrical tape. If someone had a bench grinder it would be cake. Not gna catch me grinding any of the sockets in my sets! Carefull with plastic panel screws. Mine came with 2 of them stripped and they look of the same chinesium we'd expect. I replaced most mine with stainless allens. A set of those is like $15 and I've used quite a few in other places as well.

Shell Cover - M4x18mm Countersunk Scews (9 on each side, 18 total)

LCD Cover - M3x10mm Countersunk Screws (2 on each side, 4 total)

Just got the screw size from another thread and noticed you were part of that thread too.  Cool thanks. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I use beeswax on screws.

Interesting - is that just as a sort of ultra-low-strength loctite? Never heard of that, but I'm a beekeeper so I have plenty of the stuff. ;-)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

Interesting - is that just as a sort of ultra-low-strength loctite? Never heard of that, but I'm a beekeeper so I have plenty of the stuff. ;-)

This was simply MY reasoning and could be entirely inaccurate or even be a bad thing. I just figured it was exactly that, a low strength (ultra low) loctite and rust inhibitor. Loose screws shouldnt rattle free either? I keep my panel screws and such, pretty loose for a reason. It can collect dust, but I think its also a way to keep water from getting into threads. I began trying this when I learned that typical loctite is pure evil on some plastics. I also dont think these brass inserts are that solidly held in place. SO I just started using beeswax on threads before I gently screw them in. So far, it works as you would suspect. HOwever, you probably are more aware of the acidity of wax and temperature it becomes liquid. Take a think on it and tell my YOUR opinion, as its likely more valid than mine. I do know it works great for trolleys at least. I assume candle wax would be very similar, but I like bees (and turtles) and all the COOL people use real bees wax.B)

Edited by ShanesPlanet