felixtm.com

• 6 months later...

I've been comparing my IPS121 and my IPS191 (Lhotz). The two biggest advantages of the 191 are the "modern" styling and the wider (2.5 inch) tire. The 121 has "traditional" styling with the battery box on top and a narrower (2.125 inch) tire. The 191 is more comfortable to ride, even with 50 psi inflation. Also I have noticed on the 191 my feet do not become stiff and cramped on long rides. I don't know why. Has anyone else noticed this? A downside in the comfort category on the 191 is that my ankles press against a very hard part of the 191 body, and that is painful. Has anyone else noticed this? Overall the 121 and 191 are very similar to each other both in comfort and performance. Either one is a top choice. I noticed a small difference in hill climbing that I can't explain: The 191 cannot climb the toughest hill in my neighborhood, but the 121 can! This hill is so tough, even the 121 fails sometimes. It succeeds probably 90% of the time. However, the 191 never succeeds. Every time, it stops partway up. With that single exception, the 191 has been as excellent a climber as the 121. Hill climbing is much more important to me than speed, because I live in a hilly area. Both 121 and 191 are very good hill climbers.

@MaxLinux In regards of the feet comfort - it might be that pedals are at slightly different angles on each wheel or that your are standing with feet a bit more apart on 191 than on 121? Have you tried to put some thin padding on 191 for your ankles? Even something like half of the old mousepad stick in using double side tape or Velcro makes difference. And in regards of climbing steep hills - if possible try to "slalom" it up the hill rather than going straight up - that helps a lot on long hills like this.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:29 AM, HEC said:

Have you tried to put some thin padding on 191 for your ankles? Even something like half of the old mousepad stick in using double side tape or Velcro makes difference. And in regards of climbing steep hills - if possible try to "slalom" it up the hill rather than going straight up - that helps a lot on long hills like this.

I have not attempted to make padding yet, but I probably will. I agree the "slalom" method is a great way to climb difficult hills. This particular hill is so steep that I'm not skillful enough to slalom on it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2016 at 11:17 PM, MaxLinux said:

I've been comparing my IPS121 and my IPS191 (Lhotz). The two biggest advantages of the 191 are the "modern" styling and the wider (2.5 inch) tire. The 121 has "traditional" styling with the battery box on top and a narrower (2.125 inch) tire. The 191 is more comfortable to ride, even with 50 psi inflation. Also I have noticed on the 191 my feet do not become stiff and cramped on long rides. I don't know why. Has anyone else noticed this? A downside in the comfort category on the 191 is that my ankles press against a very hard part of the 191 body, and that is painful. Has anyone else noticed this? Overall the 121 and 191 are very similar to each other both in comfort and performance. Either one is a top choice. I noticed a small difference in hill climbing that I can't explain: The 191 cannot climb the toughest hill in my neighborhood, but the 121 can! This hill is so tough, even the 121 fails sometimes. It succeeds probably 90% of the time. However, the 191 never succeeds. Every time, it stops partway up. With that single exception, the 191 has been as excellent a climber as the 121. Hill climbing is much more important to me than speed, because I live in a hilly area. Both 121 and 191 are very good hill climbers.

What is your weigh? And at what angle the Ips 121 succeeds 90% of the time?. What does it do when it fails? Does it faceplant or come to a gradual stop? Does it overheat?

I have been testing on steep slopes and so far all my wheels fail. I weigh 110kg, and the test slopes are 15 degrees +- 3.

X8 fails lacks power, e+ comes to a complete stop, ks18 control board overheats quickly.

In power from less to higher:

X8 < E+ < ks18

I have recently purchaed an ips 121 waiting for its arrival.

I am also waiting for the release of the new gw msuper v3 high torque, but that could be several months away if it is released.

12 hours ago, checho said:

What is your weigh? And at what angle the Ips 121 succeeds 90% of the time?. What does it do when it fails? Does it faceplant or come to a gradual stop? Does it overheat?

I have been testing on steep slopes and so far all my wheels fail. I weigh 110kg, and the test slopes are 15 degrees +- 3.

X8 fails lacks power, e+ comes to a complete stop, ks18 control board overheats quickly.

In power from less to higher:

X8 < E+ < ks18

I have recently purchaed an ips 121 waiting for its arrival.

I am also waiting for the release of the new gw msuper v3 high torque, but that could be several months away if it is released.

I weigh 66 kg. I don't know the angle, but it's very steep! When the IPS 121 fails (approx. 10% of attempts on the most difficult hill in my neighborhood), it comes to a gradual stop. It does not faceplant or overheat. I live in a very hilly area, so my IPS 121 faces many challenges on every ride. That one hill I mentioned is the only one it has trouble climbing (and it succeeds most of the time even on that hill). I noticed I am significantly lighter than you, so it will be interesting to see what your hill climbing results will be when your IPS 121 arrives.

2 hours ago, MaxLinux said:

I weigh 66 kg. I don't know the angle, but it's very steep! When the IPS 121 fails (approx. 10% of attempts on the most difficult hill in my neighborhood), it comes to a gradual stop. It does not faceplant or overheat. I live in a very hilly area, so my IPS 121 faces many challenges on every ride. That one hill I mentioned is the only one it has trouble climbing (and it succeeds most of the time even on that hill). I noticed I am significantly lighter than you, so it will be interesting to see what your hill climbing results will be when your IPS 121 arrives.

Hi @MaxLinux - I am interested in this, as I live in a very hilly area too. Though I am asking my IPS191 to carry 50-60 kilos more than yours...

When your wheel does stop on that hill, does it beep at all? Indicating that the battery drain has been too much? And are you able to start off again from there after a battery rest?

Also, have you noticed the battery level when it doesn't make it up? Does the battery have less charge in it on those attempts?

• 3 weeks later...

I did a steep hill test something like 12 degrees aprox.

I went up the hill for about 1/2 km

I did the test with a ninebot e+ and it failed gracefully it slowed down to a complete stop. The ks18a 1100w performed better than the ninebot but slowed down so much, less then 3km/h it was not possible to keep going up part of the problem are the tiny pedals. The ips121 which under the app shows as a T350+ did climb the hill but very slowly at about 8km/h and it was a cool day at 15C the temperature went up very quickly to 48. But I am surprised it is very good at climbing hills.

Next I will test on an 17 degree slope in Mexico, I do not think it will handle that.

The hill was in San Jose California, Sierra rd towards the mountains, the climb was successfull.

I weigh wight with clothing about 115kg.

I also did the test with a mountain bike 1000w and it failed.

The torque for the ips121 being 1000w it is excelent.

However on the ips the voltage sag it is huge at about 95% charge during the hill climb it dropped to 60% but it bounced back up after i stopped climbing, i have the 350wh battery, with a larger battery pack it would perform better, but a smaller battery pack would completely destroy its performance on hills.

The naming of the ips is very confusing the box says ips121, the pedal ips121w, the bar code says model 0557 ips 121 w, and the app T350+, so it appears the ips 121w is the same as the T350+.

Things that need improvement, the pedal are terrible not as bad as airwheel but almost as bad, it would be nicer if it had a wider tire. Overall a very good wheel highly recomended for hills. For a heavy person it will do 12 degree hills which is very good, and maybe a little more. 

It would nice if the app showed the amps but it does not.

Rating in torque:

Ninebot e+ < ks18a 1100w < ips121

Rating for speed

Ips121 < e+ <ks18a

The diference in speed between the e+ and the ips121 is very small.

I am personally waiting for gotway to release the msuper v3 high torque.

Conclucion: The ips it is a very good wheel it is very robust and has high torque.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:06 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

When your wheel does stop on that hill, does it beep at all? Indicating that the battery drain has been too much? And are you able to start off again from there after a battery rest?

Also, have you noticed the battery level when it doesn't make it up? Does the battery have less charge in it on those attempts?

No, it never beeps on that hill, or at any time, ever. That's right, my IPS121 AND IPS191 have NEVER beeped at any time, with just one exception: if stopped while upright and not rolling for 2 minutes or so, it begins to beep.

Yes, when it stops on a hill, I can start off again from there (after carrying it up the remainder of the hill).

I have not noticed the battery level percentage because I don't usually ride with my phone. However, the LED on the power button usually is steady green even when stopping on a hill (versus flashing to show lower battery level).

4 hours ago, checho said:

the bar code says model 0557 ips 121 w, and the app T350+, so it appears the ips 121w is the same as the T350+.

Yes, you are correct. I'm not sure about the w. Mine doesn't have w, or if it does, I did not notice. However, 121 and T350 are the same. The + means it has Bluetooth (earlier versions did not).

• 10 months later...

@MaxLinux, or should I call you Bryan BryanT, I love your YouTube channel. I now know your local street layout almost as much as my own, lol.
I sit at work entering data with your videos on the other monitor. I like that you comment on your IPS and how it does while showing off it's capability (and those awesome WalMart specials you call shoes).

You have inspired me to do the same thing when my IPS 121+ arrives tomorrow. Just wanted to say thanks and keep making videos as I like to watch them. :)

Cheers mate!

-Keegan "The Cacaoboy"

On 6/27/2017 at 6:53 PM, Keygun said:

You have inspired me to do the same thing when my IPS 121+ arrives tomorrow.

Great, I look forward to seeing some footage! IPS 121+ is a great wheel!

Archived