New to EUCs and my brand new S18!

Unipsycho

Congratulations! I almost killed my RS yesterday. Found myself decending a very steep mountain bike/ hiking path. I was almost at the bottom and the control board temperature spiked to 75°C. The nice silent forrest was interrupted with the temperature alarm. I have been trying to ride the mountain bike paths near my house every day. Trying to build my euc legs. I can still hang fairly well on the normal unicycles but with my advancing arthritis I don't have the sustained leg strength I once had. For me I have no shame in walking the regular unicycle when my legs have had enough. With the euc I will try just about anything. I have already decended several questionable trails.

• Like 1

Nice unipilot69 that you can still ride the classic uni at times, but I can see how I'll be doing both, likely ride the pedals first and then hop on the EUC for some cruising as well.  I certainly know the leg burn when descending steep terrain on my muni, no brakes, I'm old school! haha

Thanks Guys, and ya Scottie, I plan to rip some of the trails in fish creek and along bow river maybe in calgary sometime, I'll probably ride in okotoks here too as its closer.  Once the snow melts in mountains though, that is where I'll be going, even if just on the edge of kananaskis.  This thing is already a LOT of fun with just 1hr practice, hope to do some more tonight and get tuned in to its needed balance.  Gotta get me some protective gear still too, for now I'm just keeping it below 25kph, but looking forward to some better trails.

• Like 1

Congrats Unipsycho! I am making the transition too..."regular" unicycle to EUC, after 50 years of "analog" unicycling;) I chose the S18 also for the ease on the knees, hopefully.  It is pretty nice to get on and ride right away. I still have tons to learn and looking forward to learning from you all! Enjoy

• Like 2

ya nice Beck, I pushed it out tonight and did a few km of backward riding in rough grass, and a few kms of idling and even got some one foot practice, all pretty great so far.  Just working on gaining my reflex and instinctive balance on this thing. Still surprised how quick these can go, I'm still only pushing 25kph, feels fast coming from pedal land.  lol

• Like 1

Yeah, my V10F can do 45kmh when unlocked with the EUC World app but I hardly ever go faster than 22-23 kmh.  I only wear a bicycle helmet so I wont attract unnecessary attention from the police (EUCs are highly illegal where I live) and that lets you really feel the speed.

So many people wear full face motorcycle helmets that totally decouple you from the sense of speed you're going and are then totally surprised when they faceplant and get banged up badly.

• Like 1

Hi mhpr262, ya makes sense, I've been just getting used to riding mine around that speed too, and well, even 25-26kph feels fast (especially coming from pedal unis, where my top speed is more like 10kph and a lot of work to achieve that, haha).  I spent about an hour on it tonight again, running the dog, showing some friends and doing a lot of backwards riding and tons of quick turns, fwd to bwd to fwd to bwd again.  I find I need that a lot in the terrain I ride on my uni, so figure it will help on the euc as well once I get on tougher stuff.

I'll probably just bike helmet too but can totally understand the need for a full face if you are using higher speeds on pavement.

Can someone tell me what the S18 will do if you start reaching top speed? I know I can set the alarms, but they are hard to hear at speed and I don't know what actually happens if you go too fast, and how do you avoid ever hitting that top speed, do you just fall forward when the wheel can't keep up or what? Is that what tiltback is for and does that happen? I don't get that part yet or what all the settings in the apps are as far as operating it safely.

• Like 1

Set your alarms at a very slow speed.  you know, the speed you are currently going :P. The wheel will beep at you. If you continue, the wheel beeps and gently tilts pedals back. YOu can learn like I did and go full speed into a turn and hit the tiltback for the first time. Even at 27mph (ks top speed), accellerating out of a turn, the tiltback surprised me but didnt toss me off. Its really a non-issue and youll find you are worrying about nothing. Just set the speed low and hit thast tiltback. If tiltback is way below MAX, youll find it fun to ride the tiltback, just cuz. Of course, try not to do that much, you dont wqant to train yourself to ignore the beeps, as one day you may set them at a value that is near max and really matters. I've only hit tiltback once from battery being dead. Its also a non issue, it tilts back and then you just eventually stop and step off. Depending on your distance from the destination, you may also find yourself cursing a bit.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Ahh, of course, duh, I can just lower the speed limits way down to figure out how it feels and how it works.  It's been beeping at me, but I suspect my tiltback speed is still way higher than I am reaching, so yes, I'll give that a try to figure it out then and get used to it.  You are right, I want to learn how it feels LONG before it actually happens in a fast situation.  Thanks!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MetricUSA said:

The fastest first time rider in history....wow...

LOLs I guess that's how much of an advantage a good MUNI rider has over everyone. I'm sure others can also try to master MUNI skillsets 1st before jumping on EUCs but I have an idea how much total body coordination & dexterity are required. The sense of balance has to be extraordinary.

All that plus practise practise practise. Its more than fair that MUNI riders take to EUCs like fish to water. They probably go .... thats it to EUCs? Mehhhh

• Like 1

I can ride a standard uni, learned when I was young. After a yr on an euc, im still pretty bad. Maybe SOME people are good at transferring the skill over. I havent been.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Yaa I too learnt to drive a car at 16 & have been at it rest of my life. For whatever the hoos, I still can't drive like Ken Block🙄

From the coupla the pics of the background of Pyschodude on his muni, I think he's spent slightly more time honing his skills other than the guy on a parking lot. I've no doubt that helped lots.

Perhaps he'll be my guide this summer for some serious rides at the outdoor playground called Kananaskis. Never been so kinda looking forward to some exploring outside of the urban landscape.

• Like 1

Wow, what an amazing start!

It’s clear that you have your core physique and balance in pristine order for riding. But you are still a rookie EUC rider, and unfamiliar to their specific traits. I think you could greatly benefit for a few tips.

13 hours ago, Unipsycho said:

It's been beeping at me, but I suspect my tiltback speed is still way higher than I am reaching

No matter the situation, if the wheel beeps at you while riding, it’s trying to warn you. You are either going to fast, accelerating too fast, braking too hard, out there is a danger in the wheel hardware. Overheating, overvoltage, and a long list of other technical issues that may occur. If the wheel beeps at you, take it downa few notches immediately! If you don’t, the danger of a technical failure or the wheel shutting off is getting near, fast.

Don’t idle (forward, backward, forward, etc) hard for long. This move heats up the wheel more than anything else.

As a unicyclist you can probably estimate quite easily how much force acceleration and riding uphill requires. Even moreso the higher the speed. The EUC’s ability to provide this force has a limit, and if you ask for more than it can deliver, it can no longer balance, throwing you to the ground. Be mindful about how much power you request!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Unipsycho said:

Can someone tell me what the S18 will do if you start reaching top speed?

Slower speeds have resulted in a bunch of bad falls.

Uni example:

Cutout is something EUCs face:

WrongWay explains why cutouts happen:

Riding the beeps:

Also:

"My wife is going to be so mad at you..."

Group Ride (and, uh, fire):

And one more max speed:

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 2

Here's a video on what seems to happen to many of us: over-confidence, wobbles (or a stick, pothole, bump), and crash:

The repair bill was similar to our own @Rehab1 experience:

Here's a behind-the-scenes look at one of @Kuji Rolls videos:

and the edited version (plus gravity-related situation):

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Wow, what an amazing start!

It’s clear that you have your core physique and balance in pristine order for riding. But you are still a rookie EUC rider, and unfamiliar to their specific traits. I think you could greatly benefit for a few tips.

6 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

The fastest first time rider in history....wow...

5 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I can ride a standard uni, learned when I was young. After a yr on an euc, im still pretty bad. Maybe SOME people are good at transferring the skill over. I havent been.

Hey guys, thanks! We all learn different things at different rates right?  I've always been good at transferring sports/balance skills and it seems especially in this case on the EUC. I'm probably an exception in the muni world too, as I've ridden munis for 33 years now at up to 1000km/year, so balance has never been a problem for me, plus 100% of my riding is in technical terrain and lots of trials style riding as well.  From that, I've always had great core balance, plus did years of parkour training, more balance skills... 

That said, you are right @mrelwood, I know nothing about EUCs yet (in the practical sense) as a noob and don't care to get injured so am asking questions and learning as I go, and keeping it relatively slow (top speed I've done is 25kph), which still seems fast.

Thanks for the tip on not doing hard idling either, or at least to check the heat generated.  It is literally freezing temps here right now, so probably not heating too much, but I'm pretty balanced already idling, it doesn't seem to strain the wheel's motor much as its a very subtle forward/back, but I will start looking at the temp to get a sense of normal/high temperatures, especially once I start riding up some of the mountain trails.

2 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

Here's a video on what seems to happen to many of us--over-confidence, wobbles (or a stick, pothole, bump), and crash:

Thanks for the videos, those are scary and I certainly plan to avoid those results.  The one of the classic unicycling face planting after a no pedal ride, I've done that a handful of times myself and I've had my share of BIG falls in the mountains too, over ledges, into trees from ledges, down rocks, etc.  I've never been injured on it, always geared up and thankful for that.

Anyway, I'll be playing with low speed limits in the apps I guess and see what happens when you reach those and yup, I fully intend to do fall training as well in a nice grassy field (some already by accident, haha) that way when I start taking falls in rough terrain unexpectedly, I've already done dozen of falls to know how to send that wheel away from me, as I don't really care to be hit by a 50lb battery bomb either...haha

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

Here's a video on what seems to happen to many of us--over-confidence, wobbles (or a stick, pothole, bump), and crash:

The repair bill is similar to our own @Rehab1 experience:

Nightmares.....again:wacko:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

From the coupla the pics of the background of Pyschodude on his muni, I think he's spent slightly more time honing his skills other than the guy on a parking lot. I've no doubt that helped lots.

Perhaps he'll be my guide this summer for some serious rides at the outdoor playground called Kananaskis. Never been so kinda looking forward to some exploring outside of the urban landscape.

Thanks Scottie, ya man, hope to ride together some for sure... As to practice, it certainly helps to intentially put time in on either a muni or now the EUC with intentional practice plans, last night I worked entirely on mounting goofy foot and mounting to a backwards start and some one foot riding.  Its getting much more comfortable after a few hours on it already, and I'm liking it more and more as I get more agile on it.  It's gonna be FUN!

Edited by Unipsycho
spelling
  • Like 1

Thank god this is a EUC forum. I shudder to think the vids @WI_Hedgehog can find on motorcycle wipes!!!!

Anyhoos there's accidents & injuries (ya even deaths) in most all outdoor strenuous activities esp when involving >walking speeds. Gear up & learn the skills before taking on 3-4000lbs metal behemoths on public roads is all I can say.

No need to dwell too much on it or otherwise, might's well stay home. Wait....don't most accidents occur at home?? 

@WI_Hedgehog Having bought my 1st Kawi Ninja 750 at 21, this vid really reminds of my misspent youth. 12 or so bikes (owned & sold with a 2004 KTM 640 Supermoto remaining) later with a separated shoulder, hairline ankle fracture, bum knee & other misc to show for it, I kinda missed it really. Had a blast for sure!

Your custom blue lightning Hog looks awesome! Did you build it yourself?

Btw here's my 2 wheeler...

KTMlc4.jpg

Edited by Scottie888