EUC life expectancy, total cost per mile of ownership

Understood. I too am a EUC enthusiast so no arguments on its pros & cons. However, I'm also not sure using disparate examples for comparo & using selective facts to skew the results also do much for the cause either.

@ShanesPlanet

No, I was not placing value on miles.  I wouldn't use an EUC to carry cargo nor go long distances.  I also did not include medical expenses (though that is of course something that occurs to me); there are many conditions that vary between riders, so I was trying to stick to just mechanical wear and maintenance of the devices themselves. 

It sounds like you live in an area where an EUC wouldn't be very practical, so I understand why it is purely recreational for you.  I do have a car, but much of my driving is almost as quick, more enjoyable, and with a good degree of safety by EUC, based on how I operate the EUC. Safety is of course debatable.  So again I am just looking at equipment costs here.

Thank you for your input.

@Scottie888

Yes, I had looked at a number of other transportation devices.  Due to the form factor, portability, etc. I chose the EUC.  Since I have a car, I am looking at equipment wear should I make a trip somewhere via EUC or car, when I have the option.

To all: If I really wanted to branch out to other factors, there's the embarrassment factor of the EUC. :)  Not everyone is a fan. 

• Like 1

TCO is entirely dependent on usage location/broader context. The TCO of the exact same car can be completely different whether you live in rural Idaho or the center of Manhattan.

EUCs also happens to be best suited for those locations/contexts where automobiles fair worst in terms of TCO--namely in cities with higher insurances, higher taxes/registration fees, higher parking fees, higher incidence of accidents requiring repairs, often better public transpo infrastructure (which EUCs synergize with), etc.

EUCs (particularly used in conjunction with public transpo infrastructure) can slaughter traditional automobiles in TCO as a daily commuter in urban environments, but which of course flips the other way the further you get from civilization.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tasku said:

I feel proud driving a EUC. Love it.

How much is that worth? Priceless!

OK, maybe embarrassment was a strong word.  There are definitely some awkward situations though.

15 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I run training sessions through the summer and rent the wheels out to people, as well as organizing group rides for folks in an effort to promote wheeling. A significant percentage of the people who ride in my city learned through my little school. One of the value-adds is to allow people to try lots of different wheels so they can pick a wheel that works for them rather than ordering something online and hoping for the best.

I actually have 20 wheels now, five are MTen3s for example, reserved  for indoor training over the winter.

That is awesome man ! I take my hat off to you. 
Best,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winterwheel said:

If you compare them to its strongest competition (bicycles) the possibilities to transport stuff is very limited, they are the more dangerous, harder to ride and less capable on and offroad. There isnt really much benefit beside the formfactor.

Excuse me, we're going off-topic here but I can't agree with that. For years, I rode bicycles in metro NY for work and errands up until I got an EUC. Sold those bikes last year for an EUC upgrade. Load handling is the same or maybe even better on the EUC , hands-free riding.

Dangerous and harder to ride? that IMHO, depends on user skills and sensibilities. On a side note, I ride a variety - Fatbike, Folding mini, SS roadbike, FS trailbike, Recumbent, Assorted skateboards, Assorted rollerblades. 

2 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Wheels are far more pedestrian friendly than bikes. Bikes are inconvenient to store on one or both ends of a commute. I've done commuting time on both bike and wheel, I'm much safer on the wheel.

Yes, and not to mention, EUC takes me to a client with zero sweat stains, not smelling like a locker room 

Of course, bikes have better health benefits like getting your heart rate up. Mines shoot up like a rocket every time I have to lock my bikes out on the sidewalk. 

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Winter wheel didn’t say that in the first quote. WW was quoting DangerDan.

Best,

Correct, I saw that, too. 'Don't know what I did and couldn't edit it properly. My apologies @winterwheel and clearly, I agree with you on this issue. Good looking-out and thank you @OldFartRides.

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 2