What do/don't you like to see in EUC videos?

WILSONEUC

What Elements to a EUC video matter to you?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What elements to a EUC video matter to you?

• All music
    • Short Videos
    • Long Videos
    • All Narration/ informative/how to's
    • dare devil /trick videos
    • First person only
    • All 360 footage (edited angles or raw 360)
    • Selfy Stick only footage
    • Mix of different angles (selfy stick, 360 footage, first person)
    • reviews/impressions only
    • Im not fine with bad editing (no transitions, effects, or the issue with hearing windnoise in videos)
    • im not fine with low quality resolution/bitrate
    • im not fine with long videos
    • im not fine with short videos
    • im not fine with lots of talking
    • im not fine with music in videos
    • Im not fine with elitism/bragging/unsafe behavior
    • Im not really into community based videos
    • im not fine with solo's only videos
    • im not fine with group ride videos

This is a poll to engage with the community what kind of videos they like to see (from the EUC community).  Hopefully people can use this poll at a tool to inspire  making content and/or  if they are having a lack of inspiration with their own videos.

If i did not include something, feel free to leave a comment below, and also we can discuss what its like creating/editing videos, issues we faced , and the successes making content.

Edited by WILSON-YT
clarification of post
  • Like 1

The Issues ive had is that filming solo kind of gets boring after a while, unless i have a new wheel or a new accessory. Learning to ride videos have been the most successful for me , especially in the beginning of my EUC journey. Editing content that feature other riders is the most enjoyable for me (but i dont have many friends or know many people in my state that ride, so this is a rare occurrence) .

Windnoise is a killer for my own editing preferences. It is hard to work around with and all that data is burned into the track that it is hard to remove with software tweaks.

Gopro cameras are the easiest and best looking action cams to edit with and film with, but switching between mounts is a hassle at times .

Insta360 One X cameras are easy to film with too, but there is a lot of time needed to edit the 360. Editing that content through the phone app is faster and more intuitive than on the desktop app. Very susceptible to wind noise which is not a good camera to offer narration while riding.

Insta360 Go 2 is by far the most friendliest vlog camera to capture multiple angles on the fly with very minimal setup, so easy to set up but you are at the mercy of the short battery life.

I think it works well (in my opinion) to have people ride along with you, and film, and it seems interesting to see people riding together and having conversations about the wheels, or about their daily life routine. 

If i was to continue making solo content, i think i would shift gears and come up with a list of things i want to learn on the euc and show off the practice in a non music format, just to show everything in a down to earth aspect. Maybe add more of a vlog aspect to my videos to add other interests.

• Like 2

I myself like a short exhilarating video with a mixture of different angles and music.

I do feel bad for members that spend days working on a production but never receive any positives.There was a time when members would be congratulated for their hard work. 

• Like 2

• WILSONEUC changed the title to What do/don't you like to see in EUC videos?

I believe I've mentioned this before, but I enjoyed your learning to ride series in spite of, or perhaps because of its lack of polish. Not to put you into a category or exclude you from others, I specifically liked seeing an ordinary person tackle the problem and win because that's what I needed to have assurance of before I hit buy-now. Your low key and very everyman approach was a nice counterpoint to the highly produced (and also very enjoyable in their own right) videos we see from the big 4-5 content creators. Some might not appreciate the falling off over and over and over, or the 'oh my gosh it's hot', but honestly that's how it went for me so having seen you do it set my expectations appropriately.

I love the studio quality stuff, don't get me wrong. I enjoy saying "those guys are nuts" and watching in wonder at their skill. But that's the entertainment part, I am never going to be Neo and duck bullets, or a 7 year old tearing up the jump line. I'll probably always be a person that rides for self entertainment, and videos that show me new ways to enjoy the whole experience are ones that I appreciate. I also like the travel-blog style videos showing different places to ride... not epics mind you, but again, ones that show the possibilities of places to explore. @ZenRyder just posted one of going to the M*A*S*H set, it's a great example. @Paulo Mesquita's  as-simple-as-it-gets (well, except for the 360 details) ride around his neighborhood has me scheming how to get to Portugal. Just don't mix 'teaching' in if it's a travel-blog story!

My biggest peeve is low resolution video though. We're a fifth of the way into the 21st century for crying out loud. If it's gone blocky or looks like it came from a phone that just shouted "DROID", I think it belongs on the cutting floor.

One last thing... many people only have one wheel and it's not a Sherman. It's refreshing to see that there is fun to be had even on my run of the mill middle of the road doesn't go very fast and looks a bit dated 16X. Seeing a constant parade of videos that feature only the biggest and baddest wheels is giving me a complex. Being able to relate to the content creator is an intangible, but it's ultimately important.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

After watching a bunch of tutorials on creating YouTube videos the bottom line is content. If you love what you do and don't mind shooting 4 takes of something important and cutting 8 hours of video down to 10 minutes, then it's for you and your channel will grow. 

Editing is a huge part of successful videos. "Nailing the highlights" is huge. Most people don't want to watch an hour of someone explaining each point 4 times (though some people do like it when others keep driving the point home). Editing is a skill, the more you do it the better videos you shoot.

Humor. Whatever kind of humor you have, use it. People that want to follow what you do will appreciate it, generally, with time. 

Stick to it for 2 years. If you haven't "made it" after 2 years you're probably not going to. It takes that long to perfect the art of video making and grow a channel enough for it to suddenly take off. If you're still struggling for viewers you have to learn what people aren't liking, what they would like, and make that change. Growing a channel is a huge investment of your time, making videos has to be a passion to be successful.

Best of luck, there aren't many EUC video creators, so the field is open!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I believe I've mentioned this before, but I enjoyed your learning to ride series in spite of, or perhaps because of its lack of polish. Not to put you into a category or exclude you from others, I specifically liked seeing an ordinary person tackle the problem and win because that's what I needed to have assurance of before I hit buy-now. Your low key and very everyman approach was a nice counterpoint to the highly produced (and also very enjoyable in their own right) videos we see from the big 4-5 content creators. Some might not appreciate the falling off over and over and over, or the 'oh my gosh it's hot', but honestly that's how it went for me so having seen you do it set my expectations appropriately.

Indeed, i just let the camera roll in a certain spot and practiced away, cut and edit later.  It is more freeing to just put a camera on a tripod and let if film while being hands free and let the point(s) across. The down to earth aspect is good for certain situations. If anyone is learning how to ride, i highly recommend this method if they are wanting to share their learning. I took inspiration from Ustrides learning how to ride  video, where he basically did the  same thing, put a camera in a spot and taught us how to ride. Some people will pick up learning how to ride faster and may not relate to my frustrating struggle at first. However when you start learning and get better, the next challenge is : "how do i film something when im moving, that requires balance and safety". But I admit, i got carried away with the editing and didnt really show more or explain the continuing struggles and successes of riding. Do we film the ride or do we ride to film? unfortunately i rode to film and not the other way around lol

I love the studio quality stuff, don't get me wrong. I enjoy saying "those guys are nuts" and watching in wonder at their skill. But that's the entertainment part, I am never going to be Neo and duck bullets, or a 7 year old tearing up the jump line. I'll probably always be a person that rides for self entertainment, and videos that show me new ways to enjoy the whole experience are ones that I appreciate. I also like the travel-blog style videos showing different places to ride... not epics mind you, but again, ones that show the possibilities of places to explore. @ZenRyder just posted one of going to the M*A*S*H set, it's a great example. @Paulo Mesquita's  as-simple-as-it-gets (well, except for the 360 details) ride around his neighborhood has me scheming how to get to Portugal. Just don't mix 'teaching' in if it's a travel-blog story!

I really enjoy the studio quality style stuff too, and although it only shows part of the story of the EUC journey, i give high respect to those who have  to multitask controlling the wheel, doing the tricks, narrating, filming, flying drones, and doing their thing. (eVX, wrongway, thablackcobra, Hsiang) . Travel blogs are great too, i agree.(@isthereanyfood does a good job with that showcasing sweden and the riders there) .  

My biggest peeve is low resolution video though. We're a fifth of the way into the 21st century for crying out loud. If it's gone blocky or looks like it came from a phone that just shouted "DROID", I think it belongs on the cutting floor.

One last thing... many people only have one wheel and it's not a Sherman. It's refreshing to see that there is fun to be had even on my run of the mill middle of the road doesn't go very fast and looks a bit dated 16X. Seeing a constant parade of videos that feature only the biggest and baddest wheels is giving me a complex. Being able to relate to the content creator is an intangible, but it's ultimately important.

I really havent seen any low resolution EUC videos that much, but if i do i try to see if there is a message in it. But at the end of the day, if people want to share low quality, ill give them a watch (thats just me)

I admit, i got hyped on the newer wheels last year. It was so crazy and cool to see this innovation.I love tech and EUC riding is a great interactable tech experience.Even though i have the Sherman now, my lust for new wheels has been put to an end now. Too expensive, wheels need more updates and resolving of issues. Now IMO, a new wheel that comes out should not be bought until at least 6 months to resolve some issues. I understand your stand point on this too, and people want to relate to what they already have. There are plenty who ride older wheels and in reality are the most practicle, powerful enough, fast enough for common everyday riding . My vote still goes to 16X for best wheel. It may not be the fastest but it is great at e verything. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

After watching a bunch of tutorials on creating YouTube videos the bottom line is content. If you love what you do and don't mind shooting 4 takes of something important and cutting 8 hours of video down to 10 minutes, then it's for you and your channel will grow. 

Yes consistency is also key. 

Editing is a huge part of successful videos. "Nailing the highlights" is huge. Most people don't want to watch an hour of someone explaining each point 4 times (though some people do like it when others keep driving the point home). Editing is a skill, the more you do it the better videos you shoot.

Yes editing is skill. Skill in learning the software, learning your filming equipment . Although for me, a challenge that requires some forethought is what kind of message in my videos am i planning to edit later? Im not one that is super talkative or great with narration so it requires a lot of thought to think it out. So some videos may need careful planning before even pressing recording.  Again im going to reference isthereanyfood. He always has a message in his videos, and for me, his videos are addicting because he shares a message or two in his videos that i seem to find interesting.  Again to editing, editing is fun but it can lead some to get carried away with it (***Wilson raises his hand**)lol

Humor. Whatever kind of humor you have, use it. People that want to follow what you do will appreciate it, generally, with time. 

True...humor is key (shout out to EUC VIBES lol) . Very good point you made there!

Stick to it for 2 years. If you haven't "made it" after 2 years you're probably not going to. It takes that long to perfect the art of video making and grow a channel enough for it to suddenly take off. If you're still struggling for viewers you have to learn what people aren't liking, what they would like, and make that change. Growing a channel is a huge investment of your time, making videos has to be a passion to be successful.

Best of luck, there aren't many EUC video creators, so the field is open!

Yes, if you like what you do, keep doing it and learn what works and doesn't work for your channel.

I am interested in the results of your survey. Nice job on capturing what people want/like. I wish I had done this earlier. To summarize the results I see so far:

1. There is the most interest in seeing many different angles in a video. In other words, people like seeing views of the rider, the view they see, the wheel, etc. I think 360 cameras are the best at variety of views. However, a 4k standard view is higher resolution and allows for slow motion effects etc. The time required to reframe and then edit the 360 footage is the biggest time suck. But editing slow motion of other high quality footage can take a lot of time too. In the end, the type of footage that most people like to watch takes time to generate.
  2. They like narration and informative videos. I personally do voice over commentary because of quality issues while filming. I'm already riding and filming and trying to be witty and informative while riding adds another dimension. Along with that there are often things you don't know during a ride that you can add after the fact. It takes more time to add voice over afterwards, but the quality makes it worth it. This also covers informative videos and people do really seem to like those, so the more detailed info you provide, the better it seems to be received.
  3. There is definite interest in "daredevil/trick videos" which is not unexpected. However the quality of said videos is usually not that good from what I've seen. So there may be opportunity for well done videos in the genre. The problem is that you have to risk life/limb in order to get the actual footage. 'Nuff said.
  4. Low quality videos are a turn off for the discriminating viewer. Yes, good quality footage and hopefully bitrates and codecs will make a difference on all videos.
  5. Finally, there is not a lot of patience for bragging and unsafe behavior, which I find ironic since there is a lot of interest in daredevil/trick videos. This seems to be at odds with what people want to see and what they say they are not ok with. So, it looks like some viewers like their unsafe/dangerous content and others are put off by it. You can't please all the people all the time.

In general, I try to edit my content to keep the viewers attention and change the angles regularly. I've also found that voice over commentary maintains the viewer's interest. My content with constant engaging commentary winds up having double the average watch time over those videos that don't. 

This video for is over 9 minutes and has an average view duration of almost 4 minutes which I think is pretty good.

• Like 3

It depends on my mood as to what I watch. I dont really care much for "how to's" as much as I did in the beginning. I kind of am enjoying self discovery and all the total fails that come with. Im in no hurry to become a great rider and I am fine with the fact i may never even get very good. The technical how to's are okay sometimes. However, it REALLY kills me when I see non-tech type people try to give technical information. Or people who think a hammer and a flat blade screw driver is the most used tools. I try not to give tech information, as I realize its a huge undertaking and I'm too uninformed to bother. Much kudos to those that do.

I try to always watch my friend's videos. Mike makes long ass videos that are just random as hell. I consider him a friend and sitting in on his vids is as close to hanging out with him, as I can. GoGeorge is a damn boston nutjob and I totally enjoy riding along with him. To be honest, I could care less what he's even conveying. Then theres the videos from members like Marty. Relaxing, unoffensive, thought out videos. Those are fun to watch as well.  There are many others that make random videos and they just film themselves being themselves. It takes guts to just let it ride and do your thing while letting others watch. I enjoy opinionated videos, even if I think the opinion is completly wrong. Ranting videos can be entertaning too, even if i could care less what the rant is about.  I quite like to hear music and talking in the videos. Musical tastes vary and its part of the joy. I'm kind of on the fence about overdubbing or voice over. I dunno, unless theres specs or an agenda, it seems like voiceover is kind of meh.. =

I'm not a big fan of the MEGA channels. I liked them in the beginning and am in awe of the production value. However, some of them seem to have TOO much an agenda. I think some are getting WAY too much credibility and it hinges on their production skill, rather than actual data or experience. Big kudos tho, as production and marketing is a skill in itself!

I dont mind less than uber high quality. Phone and shaky video is offputting. But I run such bad internet that I cant even upload my own in High definition. With download speeds so bad, I sadly dont get to watch anyone else's in stunning 4k either. First world problems! So, lower definition but decent quality is fine by me. You freaking hurt me with your audio levels tho, and I will mute it and not give a sh*t about anything you say as I can't hear it.

I do wish I would see less films with obvious law violations. Im not a cop, but damnit, dont advertise it. Audacity should be reserved for when you are NOT creating evidence that could harm you. Tired of seeing vids of people telling me what to do, especially to see them do it themselves. What im really bothered by is... in the time you read this bulls**t post of mine, you could have watched/skimmed someone's video....:popcorn:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

Zenryder- had not seen any of your vids yet. Good work. The underside of the bridges @ 7:30 was a nice effect/visual.

Only thing I don’t like is the “canned” elevator Muzak. 

Re: the poll, the only two boxes I checked were narration and mix - which are in the lead by far.

also, I’d have to say I’m partial to the scenic/ off road variety.

OK, time to step away from the desk, gear up, and go for a morning ride !

Best,

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

@ZenRyder, @WILSON-YT, @Tawpie, @ShanesPlanet, I actually did that 1st video (never done 360º) and honestly it almost wasn't worth the trouble. As someone mentioned here, the processing time sucks, and even just passing the data onto the laptop and learning to work with the Insta360 Sudio App was a real pain in the ass. So much that I only uploaded the raw footage just for you guys to see where I ride. That was all :D

I'm not even sure if I'll do others...or even any more. You see, for 30 years, as an advertiser I had my share of filming, post production, video editing, soundtracks, voice overs, jingles, etc....in the thousands...:efef895ddd:

and that's all folks....:clap3:

Yup, i kinda assumed it took a lot of processing. I feel for ya on how long it takes. Im out of ideas for decent content and I'm more worried about enjoying my rides. For me at least, its a juggle to enjoy the ride AND film. Hell, this is when im just random filming. I could imagine that filming with an agenda would totally harsh the vibe. Some people video for the benefit of others. Some of us are just filming while we ride for ourselves ;)

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 9:21 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Yup, i kinda assumed it took a lot of processing. I feel for ya on how long it takes. Im out of ideas for decent content and I'm more worried about enjoying my rides. For me at least, its a juggle to enjoy the ride AND film. Hell, this is when im just random filming. I could imagine that filming with an agenda would totally harsh the vibe. Some people video for the benefit of others. Some of us are just filming while we ride for ourselves ;)

Im in the same boat, out of ideas for EUC content. (Unless i ride in a different location or ride with people who have a PEV). 

1 hour ago, WILSON-YT said:

Im in the same boat, out of ideas for EUC content. (Unless i ride in a different location or ride with people who have a PEV). 

There always something new to capture. Every ride has something unique about it. Get creative, use different angles, different terrain, reframing can be very dynamic (just don't overuse), write your own music or lyrics or poetry. 

Just go for it and put it out there. 

• Like 1