The slippery slope to multiple wheels....

I think 4 wheels is the Magic number. You got a tiny one like the mten. You got the daily rider like an 18xl. You got the long range speed wheel like the sherman. The fourth would be a suspension wheel, WHEN they make one that works and is worth buying... If it makes you feel less spoiled to divide the # of wheels you own by the number of familiy members you have, go for it. You aint foolin nobody. :)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I think 4 wheels is the Magic number. You got a tiny one like the mten. You got the daily rider like an 18xl. You got the long range speed wheel like the sherman. The fourth would be a suspension wheel, WHEN they make one that works and is worth buying... If it makes you feel less spoiled to divide the # of wheels you own by the number of familiy members you have, go for it. You aint foolin nobody. :)

Looks like you've already slipped on that slope...there's no reason why a Sherman can't be a daily rider (many people use it for such) and if you don't need the performance or range, the V11 can be a 3-1 (daily + group ride + offroad) :). Truly the magic number can only be  n+1 as many have said :D

As a shameless owner of 8 bikes (beater, bmx, trials, beach cruiser, ss/fixie, gravel, dirt jumper, full sus) I can absolutely explain why each one is needed for their specific purpose (and that actually I'm missing a road bike), but to anyone who isn't a bike nerd this is all the justification needed label me the typical financially irresponsible millennial :eff01bbbfc: 

Surprisingly I find EUC's so versatile that a solid commuter cruiser with enough range for group rides +  offroad/technical riding specific wheel will keep me busy for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conecones said:

Looks like you've already slipped on that slope...there's no reason why a Sherman can't be a daily rider (many people use it for such) and if you don't need the performance or range, the V11 can be a 3-1 (daily + group ride + offroad) :). Truly the magic number can only be  n+1 as many have said :D

As a shameless owner of 8 bikes (beater, bmx, trials, beach cruiser, ss/fixie, gravel, dirt jumper, full sus) I can absolutely explain why each one is needed for their specific purpose (and that actually I'm missing a road bike), but to anyone who isn't a bike nerd this is all the justification needed label me the typical financially irresponsible millennial :eff01bbbfc: 

Surprisingly I find EUC's so versatile that a solid commuter cruiser with enough range for group rides +  offroad/technical riding specific wheel will keep me busy for a while.

Not much fun riding a sherman along my wife walking. No music and its 80lbs of $3k+ wheel. I COULD make one wheel do most things, but it would be a compromise on most as well. I have yet to see 'the one' wheel that tickles my fancy in multiple areas. Just like your bikes... you COULD get one to passably do most things. However, the truly spoiled get to enjoy less compromises and own multiples. Ask the Mormons, sometimes more than one makes a happy home ;)

I have slipped and fallen down that slope. I currently have too many wheels and need to sell one. I'm over the magic number atm. Does having a duplicate to toss at unsuspecting newbies, count towards the total?

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If it makes you feel less spoiled to divide the # of wheels you own by the number of familiy members you have, go for it. You aint foolin nobody. :)

When my wife wife asks how many wheels I have: "ohh...I really just have 2 wheels...see, that wheel is our daughter's, that one's our son's..."

Any other time: "They're allllllllll mine. My precious wheels...."

• Like 3