The slippery slope to multiple wheels....

So I’m a new rider. Started the beginning of this month (March,2021). Bought the KS 16s because it was middle range in price and performance. First four sessions I spent pushing a shopping cart around the far end of the local WallyWorld parking lot. I mention this because I thought it might be useful beta for other noobs. It worked well for me.

I’m a shop-aholic . For me, shopping is often more fun than owning. However, this EUC thingy is more fun than I imagined from watching the vids. Now, three weeks and probably 50 miles in, I find myself lusting for the next wheel. I was thinking suspension wheel, because I’m already trending off road, but the price point of the two available at this time is a bit much.

I have an opportunity to buy a “as new” 18L not too far from me for a pretty fair price.

pros: More power, bigger wheel, bigger batts, only ten pounds heavier than the 16s.

Cons: ?  

And of course the nagging question - Do I really need another wheel ?

Answer : Not really, but.....

Thoughts ?

TIA.

• Like 2

Thanks to you both for the input. The opinions I’ve read/ watched tip me towards the V11, but I may wait to see what the next suspension offering will be before going there. In the mean time, run what I have and maybe try the 2.5 tire mod when this tire needs replacing.

Keep the rubber side down !

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 1:39 PM, OldFartRides said:

Thanks to you both for the input. The opinions I’ve read/ watched tip me towards the V11, but I may wait to see what the next suspension offering will be before going there. In the mean time, run what I have and maybe try the 2.5 tire mod when this tire needs replacing.

I agree with Hsiang's hypothesis (https://youtube.com/user/OWGAC) that we are unlikely to see new suspension offerings this year, and that all focus will likely be on refining production on the current suspension offerings. (Edit: excepting Veteran which is a complete wildcard.)

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AtlasP said:

....focus will likely be on refining production on the current suspension offerings.

Probably a good thing given some of the shortcomings I’ve read about. Seems they all have some.

Sometimes the 16s lift switch doesn’t work. Going to watch some of that fellows vids. Hadn’t seen his yet.

Boy O Boy, 50miles in & the itch is unbearable. This might be amongst the records for upgraditis if it so happens.

Seriously though, we all want newer & better wheels all day all the time. Most of us however do the learning phase & then the get comfortable phase next before even thinking about it. But if one's sure this isn't a shiny new toy syndrome & if the budget's there, hey why not!

I say do like NIKE.....Just Do It😁

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AtlasP said:

I agree with Hsiang's hypothesis (https://youtube.com/user/OWGAC) that we are unlikely to see new suspension offerings this year, and that all focus will likely be on refining production on the current suspension offerings.

I commented on this video, and he actually replied that the exception is that Veteran is rumored to be coming out with a suspension wheel this year so...stay tuned!

• Like 1

My 18L is my favorite wheel. I have often pondered on "upgrading" to an 18XL, but when something is just right, DONT replace it. I rarely ever run my 18L out of battery and its dead ass reliable. However, its more a swiss army knife wheel, than master of any one thing. It is refined and perfectly content on street and mild off road. I dont think I would choose it if I were primarily off road, as its smooth as hell but not much torque.  I simply love mine and ride it quite often. Its comfort class in my book. I just rode it today picking up 'golf' balls in a cow field. Fun stuff.

Im not surprised you want another wheel. It was about 50 miles in, when I bought another wheel. I recall it was a 14" and I sent it back unridden. It was just too damn small and I was too damn green. Ffw 1000 miles and I now own a tiny mten, a great 18L and a monster of a sherman. No one wheel rules them all. I am currently waiting on a suspension wheel that is worthy of my $$. I hope the current offerings are seriosly reworked for a few versions, as I may be in the market. For now tho, my 3 hard tail wheels keep me quite content.

• Like 1

Interesting story there Wilson. I checked out a couple of your vids. Good work. Yeah, that 18L sold. That’s ok. Like I said, I’m trending off road. I did 5+ mi. on a fire tower road yesterday. I really enjoy picking my way through the obstacles on the trails and not having to be worried about cars. Were it not for the known issues with the current off road offerings straight out of the box, I probably would have ordered one already. Now the rumors of a Veteran suspension wheel...well. We’ll see.

• 1 month later...

Today is day four with no wheel, and the replacement board I thought was in stock was not. Looking at a couple of weeks.

The wheels I was considering are all sold out/ on back order. I guess if it gets real bad I can get an Mten3. They’re back in stock.

• Like 1

bummer dude. eWheels is shipping a 64V mTen in black for just over $600. Mine is awaiting my arrival in FL, getting itchy even though I just got off a little jaunt on the 16X. (I am NOT rubbing it in… well, maybe a little?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

bummer dude. eWheels is shipping a 64V mTen in black for just over $600. Mine is awaiting my arrival in FL, getting itchy even though I just got off a little jaunt on the 16X. (I am NOT rubbing it in… well, maybe a little?)

Mine's sitting here. Tis a solid choice.  NOW it comes with REALLY big pedals. The carbon fiber black look is neat, along with black pads. Sounds like a fan was upgraded inside tho its quiet. Top speed of a verified 18mph, and a ton of headlight settings.  Soft and medium mode are WAY soft too. Im not unhappy with it so far.

The sickness is too deep now. I'd panic if all my wheels quit. Whoa is thee who finds themselves back to the pathetic task of walking everywhere...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

:whistling:“ Too many wheels, what’s that mean? ... It’s like too much money there’s now such thing. ...Like a girl too pretty or a car too fast. ...No matter what they say I have  .. I ain’t never had too many wheels :whistling:  ( country music) 

I think I have 5 wheel now working on 6. The 16s is my smallest and it comes in handy. I keep it in my van and use it to get around school campuses. I was using the s18 for that. The 16s is easier to carry up stairs. I should not go over 22 mph on campus anyway. I still have love for my 16s. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guilty of multiple (other)wheels, meself. At some point, had 7 bicycles, 5 skateboards, 3 pairs of rollerblades, etc. I guess, as long as you actually use them, then it's justifiable. For me it's a variety for work/commute, errands and weekend ventures.

Then early last year, I got a Ninebot C and found EUCs very practical. So, l sold most of my other wheels last summer. There was a general shortage during the lock-down, so demand was high. I sold fair and quick and cleared up lotsa space in my apartment.

Now, I'm down to 3 bikes and 1 rollerblade. There's funds for other stuff. I'm contemplating a 3rd EUC with the MCM5. I think it'll fill "that" gap between the 16X and the mten3. Not sure about getting into EUC with suspension (maybe, not yet). I still like riding my other wheels for a good workout. The EUCs are amazingly stealthy.

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Surfling said:

I'm contemplating a 3rd EUC with the MCM5. I think it'll fill "that" gap between the 16X and the mten3. Not sure about getting into EUC with suspension (maybe, not yet). I still like riding my other wheels for a good workout. The EUCs are amazingly stealthy.

Do it! For me, my MCM5v2 not only fills the gap, its superseded the Mten3 as well. Far's I'm concerned, the only thing the Mten3 wins is ultimate lightness (& hence portability) & form factor makes it the ultimate last mile commuter as well. Everything else, the MCM5v2 wins handily so much so I sold my Mten3 cos it wasn't gettin any attention. Don't say I didn't warn ya😋

Far's suspension goes, I can easily rocket past my buddy's RSt on the rough stuff with much less wear & tear on my back & knees. But I lose out in power & range ofcos.

• Like 1

I hear that @Scottie888Tho, I'd safely say, stature dictates preference. I'm on the tiny side and a good fit on the mten3. Just super nimble for City errands but def not comfy on longer rides. For such a package, it's a keeper for me. 

The 16x is a caddy, still feels heavy to ride & def cumbersome to lug around in comparison. So yes, I feel there's a "gap" for the MCM5 to fill. But for now, I'm planning to ride the 16X to the 100th-mile mark first. See how much my handling improves and if that "gap" still persists. Trying the "less is more" lifestyle.

For suspension and techy terrain, my mtn bike still heads that department. It's a different challenge and feel that I can't give up yet. I have an eye on a bike upgrade as well. When quads get sore, EUC gets the day.

• Like 1

I never really had the urge to have multiple EUCs.. Well back in the day sure when battery capacity was a joke along with charging times, back then the idea of having two wheels made a lot of sense, but now that they have these battery sizes and fast chargers i don't see why i would ever need more than just my daily driver. 

Sure i see nice features in newer releases and become interested in attaining those improvements for myself but mostly these improvements are incremental and not really gamechangers. I would like to have the V12 after seeing the features but to me even if i rode 30-50km every day, like i used to, it just doesn't justify having two wheels. To me at least. 

My thinking is this: As long as my current wheel doesn't fall short in specs i desperately need like speed and mileage i don't personally see a reason to get a new model.
Currently i am satisfied with the RS because i don't need more out of it for now.
Next upgrade for me will probably be when we can safely hit 90km/h with no beeps as i am currently getting the range i want i only want more speed but not an incremental amount but rather a nice 20km/h upgrade to my current ~70km/h. 
Next wheel will also heavily depend on safety measures like waterproofing and shell toughness.

I'd rather throw my money into Doge but hey if you're already on the moon get all the wheels man :clap3:

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

I really like hearing the woods sounds as I glide along.

I like popping up out of nowhere in silence. Reminds me of that Mr. Deeds movie. You know, his butler that just happened to pop up out of nowhere... sneaky sneaky! Wearing all black and turning off all the lights, makes it even better. I like to ride at night in darkness too. Something about crawling around in the moonlight....   Must be part wolf or muskrat..

Multi wheel disease is still strong in my home. Each one has its unique flavor and it seems my mood chooses the victim each day.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This idea of having multiple wheels for multiple uses or occasions I can somewhat understand but there is no cure for “upgraditis” other than simply trying them all. No amount of logical thinking is going to get rid of that itch lol.

In the end most us only have one pair of legs and have a family life/job that demands a considerable amount of time so there is only so much riding to be done. Therefore it would make sense that over time most will end up with one primary wheel as their favourite/most used, which would benefit the most from an upgrade/replacement and one or two older special use wheels/loaners.

I see no point in keeping like 4+ wheels unless you are doing reviews and even so, keep in mind the batteries degrade whether you use them or not.

• Like 2

I’ve only been riding since the start of the year, but I already have 3 wheels (Tesla, Ninebot E+, MTen3) and have ordered a 4th, the Nikola+ 2700 Wh. Of these 4, I want to bring it down to just 2, a lighter, but decently performing commuter wheel (Tesla) and my longer range wheel (Nikola+). I agree that my time is pretty limited and I’m not sure I have that much to spend spread over too many different wheels.

• The MTen3 is ridden exclusively by my daughter, so technically it’s hers and I can drop it from “my” list of wheels. 
  • The Ninebot I’m looking to sell soon. I try to ride it at least once a week to keep the battery active but it feels more like a chore to do so. Best to find it a home for someone looking to take a cheaper plunge into EUC riding.
  • If/when my daughter outgrows the MTen3, I’ll upgrade her to the Tesla and my son can learn to ride on the MTen3. That’ll bring my wheel total to just 1, the Nikola. At that point, I can decide if I want a suspension wheel, or whatever tomorrow’s wheels will bring. These are exciting times!
  • Like 1