First wheel for a heavy rider

Hi! I'm looking for a way to get into this hobby and I've been trying to figure out what would be a good first wheel to start with that will work with my weight.

I'm kind of a big dude and a bit overweight so i weigh in at 130kg.

What would be a good wheel that i could learn on as a beginner and continue to use after that? What kind of money will I have to spend to get a good range & acceleration with my weight?

• Like 1

I would suggest the Kingsong 18xl. The Kingsong wheels have strong pedals and can take a beating. You should be able to pickup a used one fairly cheap. The V8 and V10 are not going to like your weigh but you could learn on them. I am not a fan of lnMotion but they are inexpensive. The Kingsong 16s is also an option if not a bit slow. Still good for the first year. 

Edited by RockyTop

• 1 month later...

If you want more headroom (safety cushion), I'd say RS torque, sherman, or 16x.  18x only if you are going to buy used and looking for a cheaper road cruiser.  RS will have way more torque and has fatter more versatile tire than 18x (16x too for that matter.  Smaller tire equals more torque).  If you can find a used MSP, that could also be a good choice.  There is a guy in our group here in Chicago who is about your size and absolutely rocks the MSP HS...drops, jumps, trick riding, trail riding, high speed, etc.  I haven't tried a sherman yet, but I understand that it has noticeably less torque than an RS.  Not an issue if you're on smooth roads, but something that might be more limiting for other types of riding for a bigger dude.  

I am 250 and live in a very hilly part of the bay area. I have a Tesla and a Nikola 84v. I have yet to find a paved hill they can't carry me up. Even offroad where cars could never go they do quite well; traction becomes the issue, not torque.