Learning to EUC on Vancouver Island...

VikB

@VikB Your plate sounds like it’s jammed full, it’s good to hear how you’re getting along—I’m hoping things calm down a little for you though.

Since your wheel has reached the “utility” point, why not try taking the V10 on one of your off road trails? Not as much cardio as being self propelled but much more than you’d expect. It’s definitely not passive. And you get an entirely new perspective of your running and biking haunts. I don’t know if it’ll melt your butter, but I only ride pavement if there’s no dirt to be found (and group rides).

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Tawpie said:

@VikB Your plate sounds like it’s jammed full, it’s good to hear how you’re getting along—I’m hoping things calm down a little for you though.

Since your wheel has reached the “utility” point, why not try taking the V10 on one of your off road trails? Not as much cardio as being self propelled but much more than you’d expect. It’s definitely not passive. And you get an entirely new perspective of your running and biking haunts. I don’t know if it’ll melt your butter, but I only ride pavement if there’s no dirt to be found (and group rides).

The dedicated MTB/hiking trails are not for motorized vehicles so I wouldn't take an EUC on them. I've spent enough time working on trail access/maintenance to not shit in my bed so to speak. I also would rather be on my mountain bike or running if I was on those trails so it's not even that tempting to take an EUC on them.

We do have a bunch of "unauthorized"/"unsanctioned" dirt trails/connectors in the area around my house. I wouldn't have a problem riding those on my EUC and that wouldn't cause any issues. Mostly I'll stick to roads and multi-use paths around town. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 2:33 PM, VikB said:

it really highlighted for me one of the things I didn't like about riding an EUC/PEV...just how passive it is. I guess I am an exercise junkie.

I feel the same way. Perhaps, the active lifestyle similarity is on point.

But yes, good to keep the V10 for errands and such that you already do. I use the mten3 or MCM5 (added last Aug.) for errands/work depending on the distance. The 16x is a weekend cruiser and those late night rides was a summer treat. But I have to admit, the miles on the bike lanes gets boring. I really want to keep only 2 eventually. It's getting cooler now, done with surfing but mountainbike season is back. 

Very sorry to hear about your dad and your cat. If anything, trail running is apparently, emotionally therapeutic and great for counter-stress. I don't run but I'm sure you can attest. Good to hear from you. It's roller coaster life ride but just keep rolling...

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, VikB said:

The dedicated MTB/hiking trails are not for motorized vehicles so I wouldn't take an EUC on them. I've spent enough time working on trail access/maintenance to not shit in my bed so to speak. I also would rather be on my mountain bike or running if I was on those trails so it's not even that tempting to take an EUC on them.

I'm in the same club. Was actually at a Bike festival today. Did a sweep duty on an advance group ride - rock gardens, rollers, chutes, punchy slab climbs. My quads was cramping after 2 hours. I like techy trails and I don't think for a minute that I'd enjoy riding my EUC on them even an s18. Rock gardens ain't tire-friendly and God forbid getting a flat out there. 

Maybe fun on pump-tracks or flowy trails but I'd also recommend EUC riders helping on trail advocacy/maintenance if they ride off-road. Great community service for sure.

• Like 1

check and check. The flowly downhill stuff... I can't go nearly fast enough so I'd present a risk to someone coming up from behind. Nobody is expecting a slow moving conveyance on a downhill run and besides, I really don't want to fall and mess up a berm. So I just don't go there. Doubletrack and other "multi use" trails I have no qualms about riding, and anything that allows gas powered vehicles is totally fair game. The single track I ride is either green or blue—I'm not a speed hazard on those trails and at my skill level blue maxes me out. I also put myself at the bottom of the right-of-way totem and stop for everything. Where I ride we have way more trails than riders because most of the trails are used for hiking, so it's actually rare to see anyone else when I'm out—maybe 1 or 2 souls. So far, even though I ride in a land where even the great grandmas wear spandex (and are in far better shape than I am), I've yet to receive a negative comment. Mostly: "that's really cool" and "your core must be granite". I think because I'm noiseless (no music, just bear bells) and so unusual I get a pass. We're relatively live and let live 'round these parts, as long as you're not powered by dead dinos.

Anyway, if you can find suitable locations I heartily recommend adding trails to your list of riding venues. It really is a whole different game, every outing is learning and it's a fabulous way to explore the world. Besides, it helps keep the old man from moving into your head.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Surfling said:

I feel the same way. Perhaps, the active lifestyle similarity is on point.

There are people who look at high exertion activities like punishment/work and there are people that look at them like fun/entertainment. Both groups think the other folks are nuts! :blink1:

So it makes total sense that enjoyment of riding PEVs varies quite a bit. The part of EUCing I like is the challenge of learning/doing something I am not great at. Once it becomes easy it's not all that entertaining to be standing on an EUC rolling along. 

That said there are times when I definitely appreciate the EUC....like those short trips to the grocery store or if I am tired/injured from something sporty it's a way to get out that's restful. Plus the EUC is just different.  :clap3:

Edited by VikB
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tawpie said:

We're relatively live and let live 'round these parts, as long as you're not powered by dead dinos.

Anyway, if you can find suitable locations I heartily recommend adding trails to your list of riding venues. It really is a whole different game, every outing is learning and it's a fabulous way to explore the world. Besides, it helps keep the old man from moving into your head.

Yes the key is to know your area and what's acceptable/unacceptable. Not talking about you, but I have definitely seen people that are setting back the EUC cause by how/where they ride. Nothing happens right away so it's easy to tell yourself there isn't a problem, but as people in the community have more and more negative experiences with EUCs that ends up causing problems down the road and once that starts happening it's hard to turn the clock back and change opinions.

So I make sure when I am out on my EUC I leave good vibes everywhere. And to be fair I do the same whether I am riding my mountain bike or trail running or skateboarding. Running pretty much can't be restricted banned, but all the rest certainly can be affected negatively so I keep that in mind.

• Like 1

81IAYGe4QIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I have a pedal powered unicycle I got as a trade for some other bike gear a while back. I haven't put any time in on it, but I want to give it a shot. It could be a fun way to cruise the neighbourhood. Plus it looks hard to learn so that's right up my alley! :thumbup:

• Like 1

onewheelgt.jpg

I just saw that One Wheel updated their products. The 50km range on the GT is excellent. That puts it into the same ballpark as my V10F, which is a very useful amount of range for a PEV that's more than just a toy.

https://onewheel.com/products/onewheel-gt

No I am not rushing out to buy one. Although the upgrades make a GT a lot more competitive to an EUC than before. 

The GT solves a bunch of the OW community's issues with the XR so that's great. :clap3:

Edited by VikB
  • Like 2

EaUgHEHXgAA_b_u.jpg

My GF and a friend wanted to stop at a local brewery post-MTB ride. We went there and the parking lot was full so I volunteered to drive home put the bikes in the garage and come back to the brewery. Getting back there I was thinking either EUC or ride a bike with a lock. Since I can roll the EUC inside I went that route as it saved a step and I just did a solid bike ride so I didn't need more exercise.  I still had the 25kph speed restrictor on the V10F and it was annoying me so when I got to the brewery I turned it off and set the max speed to 40kph. I won't be riding the beeps at that speed. No worries.

I wasn't 100% sure about riding back after a pint of beer, but I am ~185lbs these days and I had a plate of food as well so I figured I'd be okay to drive a car. I got on the EUC in the parking lot and gave it a shot. It was okay so I rode home. No issues. Based on that experience I'll keep the EUC in the mix for a 1 pint outing, but I think 2 pints [my usual max] or 3 pints [holiday party max] I'd be walking the wheel home or more likely I'd just leave it home to begin with as I might forget it!

Edited by VikB
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Surfling said:

^^^ Venice beach?

I say, a few more psi should straighten-out the carrot raptors limbs. 

No idea. Random V10F image from net with slight connection to Halloween, but Venice seems like a reasonable guess. 

funny thing, I haven't done it much at all (like once or twice) but the EUC **AT SLOW SPEED** is pretty manageable after 2-3 drinks. That is, if you have a bunch of hours on one already and the skill is fully procedural and automatic. I remember being kinda surprised how easy it actually was.

I think the saying goes "show me a man who says he likes a cold shower in the morning and I'll show you a man who might lie about other things as well". YMMV!

Edited by UniMe

If I needed to get back from a pub after a few drinks not by taxi/bus I'd ride a bike. I've got decades of bike riding experience so that's a safe way for me to travel given the challenges of that situation. 

• 4 weeks later...

Battery storage question. My new place has an insulated garage. We keep it pretty cold, but not below freezing. My V10F is in the garage. Anything to worry about? 

I could store it inside the house at warmer temperatures, but I would prefer it to stay in the garage.

Edit - found a EUCO video suggesting storing at room temperature not colder temperatures. I'll keep looking for more information to confirm this advice. 

Edited by VikB

• 3 months later...

Today is my one year EUC anniversary. Nothing overly exciting to report. I'm still rocking the V10F. It's a fine wheel and given my sporadic EUC riding it meets all my needs. 

I bought a OW Pint and the V10F about the same time. I thought I would like the OW a lot more as I ride skateboards and snowboards with some dabbling in surfing. But after a bit of use the bigger wheel and side by side stance of the EUC won me over. I will say Future Motion does a great job marketing their devices. They had me hooked just with the videos of people shredding OWs. Even now I would rather watch a OW video than an EUC video from a purely action/cinematic point of view. 

I had the V10F in my office over the winter as I wanted to keep the batteries at a more moderate temperature. Now that it's warm outside on Vancouver Island I put it back in the garage. Might just be in my head, but it feels safer there since smoke wouldn't fill the house and I can open the double garage door easily to vent the garage and maybe even get the EUC out to the driveway if I notice the battery has an issue.

I've been watching the S20 videos on YT with some interest. As a lifelong mountain biker anything with a shock/suspension looks cool. That said I'm not tempted to spend the money on one. I have better uses for $4K CAD!

I still need to get out and learn to ride my pedal powered unicycle. Hopefully that'll happen this spring.

Edited by VikB
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Posted in the Inmotion sub-forum, but figured someone here might have a suggestion.

Until recently my V10F's pedals would stay up when I put them up and trolleyed the wheel around. Now one pedal will open on its own, which is annoying. I checked the tightness of the mounting bolts/axle and everything seems to be tight.

Any suggestions for restoring the friction in the loose pedal so it stays up?

Edited by VikB

Found the answer! There is a small bolt under the hanger that adds friction. It had come loose. I didn't notice it until I had the V10F on my work bench ready for surgery!  

I moved to a smaller town 3hrs north of Victoria on Vancouver Island last Aug. Yesterday I saw my first wild EUC sighting in the area. I was mountain biking and a guy rode past on a logging road on his EUC.  I've seen a few kids on One Wheels and e-skateboards, but this is my first EUC sighting besides the one in my garage!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2022 at 9:05 AM, VikB said:

I moved to a smaller town 3hrs north of Victoria on Vancouver Island last Aug. Yesterday I saw my first wild EUC sighting in the area. I was mountain biking and a guy rode past on a logging road on his EUC.  I've seen a few kids on One Wheels and e-skateboards, but this is my first EUC sighting besides the one in my garage!

I grew up on the island in Victoria. Living in Toronto now. Where did you end up moving to? 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 6:49 PM, Hellkitten said:

I grew up on the island in Victoria. Living in Toronto now. Where did you end up moving to? 

I moved from Victoria to Comox. About 3hrs north. The Victoria metro area is something like ~350K people. The Comox Valley is about ~65K people. So a lot quieter and more chill.

• Like 1