Learning to EUC on Vancouver Island...

VikB

Just now, Tawpie said:

I forget the name of the organization, but they (used to) hold a learn to ride event in Las Vegas where folks off the street have a chance to try their legs on a wheel. They had an interesting technique where their helper/teacher would walk/trot/run beside the learner and hold a broomstick or other light weight pole for the learner to hang on to. It didn't provide "support" as much as assurance and appeared to be pretty effective at allowing the learner to get the feel of movement on the wheel. I have no idea how they got people going but suspect that was when the helper provided support. It reminded me a little bit of the way ski schools were teaching kids the last time I was on the piste: both poles held horizontally in two hands, out front, chest high, practice turning down the bunny slope.

It's great there's some possibility you'll have a riding companion!

Good idea. I was thinking I'd be able to walk/run next to her on the basketball court as a intermediate step between riding along the fence and going free range on her own. 

2 hours ago, VikB said:

Thanks to folks that post YT videos showing all sorts of different people learning and riding EUCs. For people that are not 100% confident/stoked about the idea seeing someone who looks like them learning and then being skilled at riding is very helpful at generating the motivation/confidence to try themselves. :clap3:

YouTube is one of the greatest things to come along in the digital age ... if you don't mind be a little selective.

That was a nice mind game you played on your GF, and I mean that in a good way ... gentle persuasion ... very gentle!

I love your writing style; the way you round out a story is a pleasure to read. Looking for lots more words from you! :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VikB said:

If I did need to head downtown when things were busy I'd ride my bike probably as it fits in with the flow of traffic best

I think that once you're rolling on the EUC this may change. The EUC is a shark on the trail, and super versatile. You can go walking speed, or slower, it's small and maneuverable, or you can lean in an run away from nearly anything except very fastest ebikes. My RS will hit 50 in a blink, and climbs grade incredibly well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

found the video 

Nice, I've seen the stick method with a person on each side, good to see it works with only one assistant.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scottie said:

YouTube is one of the greatest things to come along in the digital age ... if you don't mind be a little selective.

That was a nice mind game you played on your GF, and I mean that in a good way ... gentle persuasion ... very gentle!

I love your writing style; the way you round out a story is a pleasure to read. Looking for lots more words from you! :)

I do a pretty good job only watching what I set out to watch on YT. The algorithm punishes me when I stray. I hate it when I watch one video on a fitness channel and suddenly my YT home page is 50% body building videos! Really? It motivates me not watch any click bait videos for sure.

Ha! I have learned there is no point pushing a lady towards anything like riding EUCs. It will end poorly. Making the activity accessible? Sure. Supporting them if they show some interest? Sure. But, it's just too hard an activity with too much potential risk for her to really get into unless the stoke is coming from her. Besides we can ride bikes together, hike together, skateboard/kickscooter together, she dabbles in kiteboarding & surfing as well so it's not like we need to ride EUCs together or I'll never see her. If she really gets into the Pint she'll just buy her own and we'll ride One Wheels together, which is a lot of fun and she doesn't need to go more than 15kms on a charge.

Thanks for the kind words regarding my writing style. I figure I'm never going to be doing amazing tricks or breaking speed records or anything like that. I'm also not interested in making YT videos. But, I think it's good to contribute back to any community you are part of so I thought documenting at least the first few weeks/months of learning to ride an EUC could help some people thinking about getting into the hobby. There are lots of Day 1-3 videos on YT and lots of Pro level EUC ride videos as well. I didn't find so much newbie EUC rider content online so I'll add my own. If I was a video guy I'd make videos, but I am a writing guy so I'll post here.

Edited by VikB
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, UniMe said:

I think that once you're rolling on the EUC this may change. The EUC is a shark on the trail, and super versatile. You can go walking speed, or slower, it's small and maneuverable, or you can lean in an run away from nearly anything except very fastest ebikes. My RS will hit 50 in a blink, and climbs grade incredibly well.

I'm sure my EUC riding will change as my skills grow. I do love biking and skateboarding plus I am a bit of an endurance sport junkie so I need to do a fair bit of exercise or I get grumpy. I'm just going to let things happen and see what sort of riding/missions I use the EUC for.

One thing I am pretty sure I'll do with the EUC is explore new places. Back when I first moved to Van Isle I wanted to ride my mountain bike down the whole island [~800kms] on logging roads. I got burnt out scouting out the route on a bicycle since it took so long to get places and riding up a mountain for 3hrs only to find the road ends was kind of soul crushing. I had a dual sport motorcycle at the time so I switched to doing recon on the moto and it was perfect. Not only was it fun to ride the moto, but I could easily check out any possible roads and if they didn't work out I didn't care all that much as I still had a great day on the moto. Eventually I had a route down the whole island from Cape Scott to my house with only 5kms on paved roads. That was super fun to ride a bike down and camp along the way. :clap3:

I can see myself picking lakes for fishing or beaches to see on the map then ride there on the EUC. Maybe do some fishing? Maybe bring my kindle and a thermos of tea and hang out? Maybe go for a hike? Then head home. If I find some really sweet spots I can add them to my biking routes and bring some friends along.

Edited by VikB
  • Like 2

maxresdefault.jpg

Day 6 Practice

I've been busy building and repairing the fences on my property so no EUC riding for a couple days. It's zero fun, but I like my privacy so fences are essential for good relations with the neighbours! We had a low fence at the back of the yard, but there was a nice thick row of bushes behind it on the neighbour's property that blocked all the sight lines until last fall when they decided to tear the bushes out. Then it was a straight shot into their house and I could watch them pick their noses. WTF?!?! Anyways a few trips to Home Depot. Some hole digging and concrete mixing and the problem is solved! 

I had in mind I was going to work on my free mounting during the next EUC practice session. Currently I do a two hop process that works, but looks a bit goofy. So I wanted to refine that to 1 push off and stepping on the pedal right away. However, after a couple days of messing with fences I just wanted to have some fun so instead I just cruised around the hood. Nothing too spicy. I stayed on quiet side streets and cruised the park a bit to practice staying on the narrow pathways. I'm in that weird space where I can ride the EUC, but I am not super solid. So I guess just more wheel time and allowing myself to tackle challenges without going overboard is the path forward.

I had my first police encounter. They were in and around the park doing something. I gave them a wave and they ignored me. I'm good with that!

I'm able to ride pretty much to/from my door so that feels good.

51078973487_ce1b6a793a_o.jpg 

Day 7 Practice

I woke up early this morning and it hadn't started raining yet so I thought it might be a good time to hit the bikepath for the first time. With a wet forecast and an early start I figured I'd have a mostly empty path to ride, which seemed like a smart idea. It was a little before sunrise when I left home so in addition to the lights on my V10F I had a red flasher on the back of my helmet and a high power flashlight in my hand. I like the flashlight as it's bright enough to light up the ground a decent distance away from me and I can move it around to get people's attention if I need to. 

This is a pretty standard route I use to get to downtown or if my GF wants to get outside for a cruise without doing anything too epic I'll take her on this route. It's ~10kms mostly on bikepaths, but there are some surface streets to contend with at either end. In terms of riding the EUC the only real issue I had was this 300m long wooden bridge in the middle of the route. It's really rough. On a skateboard I just walk. On my bicycle I ride it, but it's a good test to see if anything is loose on the machine. I had no idea what it would be like on the EUC. The flat section wasn't too bad, but there is a "hump" at one point so boats can go under the bridge and coming down that on my way back I started going pretty fast [GPS says ~30kph where my normal cruising speed was ~16kph]. The bumpiness was a challenge as was trying to slow down and both together were feeling intense. I since I knew the downhill slope was limited and it would be easier to slowdown when I hit the flat again I just worried about not crashing and steering the EUC where I wanted it to go. That went okay. Once on the flat it was easier to lean back and get my speed in check.

It rained on me most of the time. I'm glad I picked the V10F as wet conditions are frequent here on BC's left coast. I won't normally head out on the EUC when it's raining, but getting caught in the rain is going to happen. Aside from the rain there was strong wind from various directions along the exposed sections of the route. It wasn't too bad, but I did have to adjust to compensate for it.

I kept doing my shoulder checks to practice looking behind me. I bought a wrist mirror, but I haven't used it yet. I want to get a solid shoulder check on both sides first. That's going pretty well. I'm able to do that without the EUC moving off my intended direction of travel. There were a few people out and about. Enough that I had to keep an eye out for them, but not so many that it was hard to maneuver around them. 

My average speed was 16kph which is about the speed I ride my longboard at. I could ride faster if the ground is smooth, but when it gets rough 16kph seems like a good speed that I can deal with bumps. I'm not in a rush to go fast and mixing with bikes and pedestrians cruising at a slower speed blends in better. I said hi to everyone I met along the way and made sure not to shine my lights into their eyes. So far I only have had good reactions from people. I'm trying to be a good ambassador for EUCs since they are not legal where I live so we don't need any extra heat/attention from the cops/By Law Officers.

I rode to/from my door again which was nice. I also rode some of the busier streets around me since they were quite in the early morning. The rain is pretty steady now and we are getting high wind warnings so I am going to chill inside for a while and then head out for a hike later.

Edited by VikB

Nice! Good miles (kilometres) there, @VikB. I said it before , boss-level is just a few rides away :0. Soon enough you'll get comfy and naturally increase your speed.

I bought a wrist mirror too.' tried it once and never used it again. 'found it too fiddly and defeats the safety purpose but YMMV. Now I'm just comfy looking back. I like minimal gear.

I got the 16X last week and finally took it out last night. Initially, rode in the back private alley but felt comfy enough and took the bike lanes to a nearby park. Was butter-smooth up to 25 kph then safety bells and tilt back engages. Tried the BT speakers as well for some background tunes. Rode for about 10 miles+. Enough to unlock the limiter.

Didn't feel foot fatigue as on the mten3. Set the max to 27mph and 3rd beep at 25mph this morning. That's about my max zone with my other wheels. 

Soon enough, I'll be taking it apart for some weather proofing and a few mods maybe. I'll name her Sade (smooth operator). The mten3 is named (run around) Sue. I have this weird habit of naming my toys. GT Sanction is Mustang Sally. Go-to surfboard is Sunshine ...etc...etc.

Raining all day here so heading to Home Depot soon for a home project, too. Building an EUC ramp on the stair steps. That 16x is pretty hefty.

Safe riding to you, bro....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Surfling said:

Nice! Good miles (kilometres) there, @VikB. I said it before , boss-level is just a few rides away :0. Soon enough you'll get comfy and naturally increase your speed.

I bought a wrist mirror too.' tried it once and never used it again. 'found it too fiddly and defeats the safety purpose but YMMV. Now I'm just comfy looking back. I like minimal gear.

I got the 16X last week and finally took it out last night. Initially, rode in the back private alley but felt comfy enough and took the bike lanes to a nearby park. Was butter-smooth up to 25 kph then safety bells and tilt back engages. Tried the BT speakers as well for some background tunes. Rode for about 10 miles+. Enough to unlock the limiter.

Didn't feel foot fatigue as on the mten3. Set the max to 27mph and 3rd beep at 25mph this morning. That's about my max zone with my other wheels. 

Soon enough, I'll be taking it apart for some weather proofing and a few mods maybe. I'll name her Sade (smooth operator). The mten3 is named (run around) Sue. I have this weird habit of naming my toys. GT Sanction is Mustang Sally. Go-to surfboard is Sunshine ...etc...etc.

Raining all day here so heading to Home Depot soon for a home project, too. Building an EUC ramp on the stair steps. That 16x is pretty hefty.

Safe riding to you, bro....

Congrats on the 16X. I'm a little jealous. I like the look of that wheel. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to the point when I can ride the EUC and not think about controlling the EUC so much and have it just feel pretty natural. That said I am pretty happy to be riding it around feel [mostly] safe without having damaged the wheel or myself in the learning process so far! 

I have one more fence project I need to tackle this spring, but I am taking a week or two break before I head back to Home Depot start that one!

Edited by VikB
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Surfling said:

weird habit of naming my toys

ditto. Mine is named "Nellie". The learning process reminded me of breaking a horse (which I've watched, but never actually done—my bravery has always had limits). The thing did NOT want to be ridden, went where it wanted to go, threw me off several times, and required a lot of "whoa Nellie" coaxing to slow down. Now it's a gentle beast that loves both street and trail, needs only gentle nudging to tell it where we're heading, and reliably gets us there.

BTW, some of my YT viewing implied that off road was a way to quickly ramp up your skill level and I can concur. I spent half the winter on snow trails/snowpacked & icy rural roads and being on a sketch surface seemed to reinforce a lot of auto-balance in my body. Having the wheel slide a bit sideways or hang up on a small ridge while just letting the self deal with it (no time to actually think) was beneficial. And it's a lot more work than pavement, so the core and legs came out on the plus side strength-wise.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Tawpie said:

ditto. Mine is named "Nellie". The learning process reminded me of breaking a horse (which I've watched, but never actually done—my bravery has always had limits). The thing did NOT want to be ridden, went where it wanted to go, threw me off several times, and required a lot of "whoa Nellie" coaxing to slow down. Now it's a gentle beast that loves both street and trail, needs only gentle nudging to tell it where we're heading, and reliably gets us there.

Well, a lot of us think along the same lines. When I 1st started learning to ride, it was on the 16X. That felt like a long negotiation with a Tasmanian Devil that finally befriended me and has taken care of me ever since.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VikB said:

Congrats on the 16X. I'm a little jealous. I like the look of that wheel. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to the point when I can ride the EUC and not think about controlling the EUC so much and have it just feel pretty natural

Thank you @VikB. I'm looking forward to doing some explorations on it this summer. The NY Empire State Trail was opened last year. It's a 750-mile trail from NYC to Canada. Used to be railway tracks that was paved throughout. I've ridden portions of it on my bike but EUCs are a lot quieter and a less laborious ride. No fun pedaling in sticky-icky summer days and the bike's rear hub hum can be annoying at times.

With consistent riding, your handling skills on the EUC will or should improve dramatically in a short time. I definitely got better on the mten3 around the 100-mile mark. I can even ride it inside my apartment now. And no more holding on street poles waiting on a red light. So my first time riding the 16X was a cakewalk. It feels softer with the bulk. But a lot easier to mount and surprisingly nimble. It's well-designed IMHO.

As @Tawpiepointed out, riding trails is a quick way to ramp up skills. I never tried it on my EUC but can see how and why. Off-road terrain isn't exactly foreign territory to you, either. Also, ride settings on the wheel , from "hard to soft" can offer some challenges. Higher tire pressure can make it more responsive and squirrely. 

Btw, "whoa nellie" is a real good one @Tawpie!!

• Like 1

Haha. Yep, for me the panic stop (aka sh1tting position) was a long learning curve—always got wobbly so I’ve said that a lot. After 1.2 million meters I literally just figured out I need to deliberately press with my left heel to solve the braking wobble. I still do 2-3 panic stops as part of the pre-ride warm up... quick acceleration, fast stop, tight left circle, zoom, stop, tight right circle.

• Like 2

robot-unicycle-grocery-basket-humanoid-s

Day 8 - Grocery Shopping & Practice

Now that I can roll around on my EUC it's a bit tempting to find safe places and just cruise. That's fun, but I don't learn too much from that so I am forcing myself out of my comfort zone at least a little. Today I took the V10F for a quick grocery shopping trip. I usually do one car trip for groceries each week for bulky items and then a couple more bicycle or skateboard or now EUC trips for fresh fruit/veg or a few smaller items I need. So today I needed to hit the shops and I decided why not take the V10F?

Just getting to the store means crossing a few bigger streets and the store is in a mall with all the usual traffic/obstacles. I'm not trying to be a hero so when situations are legitimately dangerous I just walk/trolley the wheel. However, I did try to ride as much as I felt was reasonably safe and that was most of the way. Trolleying the EUC around the store was pretty easy. Nobody really cared or seemed to notice I had the wheel with me.

I ended up buying more than I expected so I had a 15-20lbs backpack to deal with on the ride home. It wasn't too bad. I was able to freemount and ride around pretty well. I mean it felt weird, but not so bad that I couldn't ride the same sections on the way home as I did getting there.

I dropped the shopping at home and since I was geared up I figured I might as well do some more riding. I headed to the park with the basketball court as I wanted to do some technique work. I practiced freemounting with one push off and then stepping onto the pedal vs. my previous hop hop step on. That worked fine and I think feels/looks better. I also practiced doing some Kuji-esque accelerations and hard braking. I'm sure if I shot a video it would look quite pathetic, but it felt EPIC fast/hardcore and I was smart enough not to shoot any video.

A lady was asking me a lot of questions about the EUC while I was at the park so I let her ride it along the low fence so she could see what it was like. She thought it was cool and said she was buying one. I think the cost may change her mind, but I figured I should be a good Wheel Ambassador.

One benefit of riding the EUC with a heavy backpack is that once I got rid of the pack I felt much stronger on the wheel. 

Eventually I got HANGRY so I rode home and I'm having lunch now. Today was a solid day of riding. Some good challenges and improvements. :thumbup:

Edited by VikB
  • Like 3

51092152029_5a0dab6683_o.jpg

Day 9 - Cargo Run

I've been thinking about heading further afield on my EUC to build skills/confidence on new terrain. There is only so much neighbourhood roaming I can do without getting bored. On the other hand I am realistic about my current EUC abilities so I didn't want to go crazy. My buddy wanted to borrow my post hole digger so I offered to drop it off at his place across town. I figured I could drive over, skateboard over or EUC over with the tool. So yeah I decided to ride my EUC across town. I wasn't sure that would work out well, but I thought there were a few challenges between me and the first section of bikepath so if it was feeling too hard I could just turn back. Mounting the EUC with the digger was pretty hard so used a post or a car whenever possible. Once I was riding it wasn't too bad. Not super fun and it did throw off my balance in turns, but I felt more or less safe riding with it.

Silverline-GT41-Post-Hole-Digger-1560mm-

Post hole digger ^^^... 5' long and 10-12lbs of weight. So not bad. Just awkward to carry.

The route I took is one of my frequent skateboard rides so I know every part of it well and that helped since there was no guessing what was coming next. I had a few people give me strange looks. Not sure if it was the EUC, the digger or the combination. I lucked out on the lights and the 4-way stops so that I didn't have to get off too many times. I can ride pretty slow when I need to so that the light changes or a car cleared the intersection. I sped up a few times to make a green and hit the beeps on the V10F...mind you they are still set for 25kph so that wasn't me being too daring. I started ~730am so traffic wasn't too bad.

Once I dropped off the tool it felt so easy to ride the EUC. I could free mount again and just riding it around was a lot more fun. I guess a cargo ride is great for making normal riding feel easy! I went home by cruising along the water. That part of the route has more pedestrians, dogs, cyclists, etc... than the inland part of the route, but it's got great views and riding loops is more fun than an out and back. 

51092210696_16a5f22378_h.jpg

I did have to ride with cars a lot more than in the past. In some areas on the street without a bike lane. I'm feeling okay about that. My shoulder checks are decent and I can hold a fairly steady line. I do think I need to add air to my tire so I'll do that today. Riding off camber sections of the road felt a bit weird. I also had some foot numbness so I stopped a couple times to walk around and get the blood flowing again. I've been riding in high top skate shoes which have great pedal feel, but maybe they are too soft. I'll try some light hiking boots and see if I like them better.

I did ~26kms today at an average speed of ~18kph so just chill cruising. It started raining lightly as I got close to home so my timing was perfect. Battery went from 100% to 66% so my expected/desired range from this wheel of ~50K seems possible.

Edited by VikB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottie said:

Keep the adventures coming. Don't leave me hanging! :D

Ha! Working on another fence project that required 2 days of demolitions first. No wheeling or dealing. :blink1:

I've got a nice route in mind for the next big ride. :thumbup:

• Like 1

51109439848_4b7e327e65_h.jpg

Day 10 Practice

A lady posted on FB that her hubby was enamoured with One Wheels and it was his birthday so she wondered if anyone would let him demo their OW and give him a quick lesson. I figured why not? So I met them on Saturday at the school parking lot and gave him 5mins of lessons then let him roll around on the Pint. I rode the V10F and stopped to give him tips as required. They both seemed happy and it was only an hour of my life and she gave me a six pack of beer for my troubles. I practiced free mounts and that went well.

51108976142_25aa31d350_h.jpg

Day 11 - Coastal Loop

This morning I headed out on the V10F for a loop around the southern part of the Saanich Peninsula. This is one of my favourite bike/skateboard routes so I know it pretty well. The route offers a lot of varied terrain from quiet side roads, to gravel paths to wooden bridges and some busier roads downtown. There are also some steep hills to try climbing and descending. I had heard the V10F wasn't great on steep hills and I am 185lbs out of the shower so I was interested to see what happened. It's about a 40K ride so my longest to date.

All in all it went well. There was ice/frost on the ground and bridges so that was a first for me on the EUC. The gravel path was not too bad, but I'll definitely aim to get more practice on gravel/dirt. I got to ride bikepaths for a while at first to get warmed up then I headed out on some roads with lighter morning traffic. Cars gave me lots of room either because they were kind or I looked sketchy. I aimed for all the pot holes, bumps and rough pavement I could see just to get used to the feeling. Initially I had to stop fairly often to walk around and get the blood flowing into my feet, but as the ride progressed I was staying on the wheel for longer stretches. 

In addition to the usual cars, bikes, pedestrians, dogs for obstacles I ran into a lot of deer. Luckily they didn't mind the EUC and just kept munching away at the side of the road. I got to practice some slow speed maneuvering getting onto/off the sidewalk to access some sections of bikepath. That's something I'll work on as it's very useful to be able to slow to a crawl and do 90 deg turns. It was about 3 deg and a bit windy at times so I am glad I dressed warm. When I finally hit the steep hills they were a breeze. I had no issues climbing them nor keeping my speed in check on the way down. I can into some cops and just gave them a friendly wave like riding an EUC was totally legal. They didn't bother me at all.

I hit the 25kph speed limit quite a few times. I'll do another longer ride and then bump up the alarm to 30kph so I can ride at 25kph without making a lot of noise. I got back home with 47% battery after ~40kms at nearly freezing temperatures. That's great as I was hoping the V10F would be a 50km range wheel for me. If I ride a bit faster and the temps are warmer that should work out fine.

I've got more fence building to do as well as some report writing for work next week and I want to get out on my skateboard a bunch so my next EUC ride will have to wait until next weekend, but I have a nice route in mind. The good news is I should be done the fence stuff and all my work next week. So I'll have the rest of April and most of May with all my days free. That'll be sweet as the weather should get quite nice over that period. :clap3:

Edited by VikB
  • Like 2

Another great post ... I can't get enough of these! :D I like that you add in nice photos to set the atmosphere.

Sounds like your riding is coming along very well for your experience level. This summer you will own the town.

• Like 1

Speaking of projects, I finally got the stair ramp done and it works flawlessly - trolleying the powered wheels up or down easy-peasy.

Hey @VikB you prolly get a kick on these repurposed Conti TK's.  Guaranteed grip :)

IMG_9521.jpg

Edited by Surfling
  • Like 2

On 4/11/2021 at 9:51 AM, VikB said:

Luckily they didn't mind the EUC and just kept munching away at the side of the road.

I've had the same experience, they don't seem bothered at all by the EUC :thumbup: swish.... even within a few feet I haven't had any troubles. Out with our yapy, prey driven dogs, a totally different trip... one that often involves detours to avoid getting too close to them.

That's a long ride you did there! Even longer at the slower speeds and with the breaks you needed.

Last year, when the pandemic hit, I cleared a bunch of weed type smaller trees from our property, dug up all the ground and planted gardens. This spring I pulled a section of a 70's rock retaining wall and a few stumps and I think we're to a place of having enough open ground to generate a meaningful, and sustainable, amount of food. Good fencing is key and it took us a while to sort that part out -- the deer are persistent! especially when it starts to dry out later in the year.

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Surfling said:

Speaking of projects, I finally got the stair ramp done and it works flawlessly - trolleying the powered wheels up or down easy-peasy.

Hey @VikB you prolly get a kick on these repurposed Conti TK's.  Guaranteed grip :)

Wow. So much awesome right there. Nice work all the way down to the TK's! :w00t2:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...