Kingsong 16X Death wobble crash

ArieKanarie

51 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

On the topic of wobbles and my observations.  Tire pressure greatly affects wobbles.  I just got the itch to start learning small jumps, tire bumping up curbs, small drops etc.  So I upped my tire pressure from 35PSI to 40 PSI to protect my rim from damage.  40 PSI is much more agile feeling, but also more likely to wobble.  I don't get that concerned because when I feel it come on I just initiate a carve and its gone.  At 35 PSI I really never really had significant wobble issues, its amazing how much of a difference 5 PSI can make.

If you're uncomfortable with wobbles and you're getting them frequently you may want to consider lowering the pressure of your tire.

Zombie riding up a hill is more likely to introduce a wobble for me at higher pressures.  If I carve, even a slight carve I do not get wobbles.

I've started doing small bumps about a month ago up curbs (thanks to the V11 confidence that I now don't own) as high as no more than 3", and down curbs no more than 4". And what I noticed on my KS 16X today is that my Psi was down to 32 instead of the usual 35/36 psi I usually ride with. In a few weeks, with all the bumps, ups and downs, the 16x lost 3 psi. One really needs to be checking the tire pressure...

• Like 3

On 4/10/2021 at 11:36 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Riding padless requires you grip the wheel.

I don't want to sound contrarian or whatever, but I've never ridden with pads other than what came with the wheel, and I have never had occasion to grip the wheel, outside of a couple of experimental attempts to see whether I should change my style. In fact I ride with as wide a stance as the pedals permit. I experimented a bit with gripping a wheel because it seems that would be a pre-requisite for jumping curbs and whatnot, but the feeling of having a narrow stance with both legs contacting the wheel at once was just too strange and disquieting. I guess I'm heavier than most riders, perhaps if I lost 75 lbs I might find pads and/or gripping the wheel to be helpful.

Sad as it is, I have come to accept that I will never be able to jump anything at all with an electric unicycle. :mellow:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

I don't want to sound contrarian or whatever, but I've never ridden with pads other than what came with the wheel, and I have never had occasion to grip the wheel, outside of a couple of experimental attempts to see whether I should change my style. In fact I ride with as wide a stance as the pedals permit. I experimented a bit with gripping a wheel because it seems that would be a pre-requisite for jumping curbs and whatnot, but the feeling of having a narrow stance with both legs contacting the wheel at once was just too strange and disquieting. I guess I'm heavier than most riders, perhaps if I lost 75 lbs I might find pads and/or gripping the wheel to be helpful.

Sad as it is, I have come to accept that I will never be able to jump anything at all with an electric unicycle. :mellow:

On the better days and even work the pads once found myself riding with lens further or and for long periods not touching the wheel. It's quite relaxing... 

• Like 1

@winterwheel if it makes you feel any better, I've done all the weight losing for you and can attest that at least for my style of riding that does NOT involve stairs, gripping the wheel and pads haven't been necessary. Mind you, I have started clenching some when going up really steep hills in the dirt and pads would be nice for that, but since I don't want bulges defacing my Roll.nz, I'm happy enough to do without. For the present.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I've started doing small bumps about a month ago up curbs (thanks to the V11 confidence that I now don't own) as high as no more than 3", and down curbs no more than 4". And what I noticed on my KS 16X today is that my Psi was down to 32 instead of the usual 35/36 psi I usually ride with. In a few weeks, with all the bumps, ups and downs, the 16x lost 3 psi. One really needs to be checking the tire pressure...

Car tires typically loose about 1psi per each 3-4 weeks iirc. I know it is a gross generalization, but there once was a time that I could guess if you were WAY past an oil change, as your tires would be a tiny bit low. Since we checked pressure each change, it was pretty reliable. I dont think that jumps will have much to do with the amount you lose. However, if it makes you feel totally badass to see that you are down by 3psi and you think its from getting like 20' of air, well Pedro, more power to ya!

9 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

On the better days and even work the pads once found myself riding with lens further or and for long periods not touching the wheel. It's quite relaxing... 

You are coming quite along quite quickly. Being able to ride bow legged is handy for sure. Being comfortable riding on many positions, will only increase your distances and control over the wheel. Another reason to practice different styles..injury! I injured myself on one leg (glad I have two), and I am still riding around, tho my bad leg is now just barely touching the tip of my shoe on the pedal as I ride. Damn near one legged. Nope, I aint really been practicing, but its quite amazing how we just tend to do things when its neccessary. For now, I'm not gripping the wheel with my ankles very well, so my accel has suffered, along with the ability to stay planted on the pedals in treacherous bumps. Oh well, no time to worry about it anyhow...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I've paying close attention to what happens in wobble situations over the past week or so, on the EX. It's a heavy wheel, I ride it basically without pads, with an uneven stance as has been mentioned, so as it turns out I get baby wobbles quite frequently actually. This occurs most often during hard accelerations which I am doing more frequently as I get to know the wheel. When it happens I just ease up a bit on the acceleration and press in a bit with my dominant leg to settle things down. The non-dominant leg has no role in this. Works fine.