Converting a Mten3 to tubeless operation.

On 12/3/2017 at 4:20 PM, Mrd777 said:

Just an update as the wheel is back together holding air. The short valve stem will hit the shell with the cap on, so make sure you cut/dremmel away a little of the shell.

01DEC213-A3B9-4F67-8FC2-E3507E50C92B.jpeg

Ah, interesting.  I think the dimensions of the shorty valve stems I bought are the same as yours.  But I don't plan to run them with caps, so maybe they'll sneak by the shell without impingement.  Now I'm kind of hoping for a blowout so I can get in there and go tubeless.  But only kind of :unsure:

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2018 at 7:34 PM, GQS said:

Have you guys seen these bent valve stems before?  Might they work for our tubeless conversion?

https://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-Accessories-5-802-Degree/dp/B00HYYNW5K/

71k9hUitijL._SL1500_.jpg

They might work fine, and thanks for pointing them out.  But personally, I'm tired of the angled valve stems that poke their noses out so far in the slipstream that they are just begging to snag on something.  I'll be doing the tubeless conversion soon with shorty valve stems.  You know what they say about how the nail that sticks up higher than the others is the first one to attract the hammer?  I think that's true.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/2/2017 at 5:47 PM, Mrd777 said:

Ok, I got tied of my mten3 tire going flat. Every inner tube I’ve ordered from China is the wrong size or the valve stem is not going in the right direction. I ordered some short tubeless valve stems and a puller. The stems are designed for a .453 hole, so I drilled out the valve hole a little less 13/32” which is .4063 around 10.5mm. I added two ounces of orange tubeless sealer and so far the tire is holding nicely at 35 psi. Once again getting this little tire back on the rim is a HUGE pain, it’s helpful to have someone help you brace the tire

These are the stems I ordered

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7ANTCB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the sealer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CS739KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

C2D72E94-9520-498D-85CE-7F31BCF9D705.jpeg

OK, some help needed @Mrd777

I have my Mten3 apart and I purchase the parts you linked to. I've drilled out the hole (11/32).

First, the valve puller won't work because it's too big? How the hell did you pull that GIANT valve thru that tiny hole? :blink1:

Any practical tips would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Hello @Marty Backe, the proper valve for Mten3 is the valve for Ninebot Mini pro, https://more4motion.com/collections/mini-pro-tires/products/valve-for-mini-pro-tire 

Tested!

Mine Mten3 came tubeless, but the valve was leaking between threaded brass part and the rubber. I replace it with the above mentioned. 

Edited by Ch.Eng.62
  • Like 1

Marty it’s been some time since I did this, however to this day that tire hardly looses air and I’ve been very pleased going tubeless. Yes that link is correct. I used dishwashing soap, and gave it a tug and it fit right into place. It worked. Heat up the valve stem also so it’s nice and flexible.   I hate to tell you to drill a larger hole... from what I remember my measurements are correct. Still love this little mten!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ch.Eng.62 said:

Hello @Marty Backe, the proper valve for Mten3 is the valve for Ninebot Mini pro, https://more4motion.com/collections/mini-pro-tires/products/valve-for-mini-pro-tire 

Tested!

Mine Mten3 came tubeless, but the valve was leaking between threaded brass part and the rubber. I replace it with the above mentioned. 

Yeah, I saw the smaller valve, but @Mrd777 posted links to what he used so that's what I bought.

1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

Marty it’s been some time since I did this, however to this day that tire hardly looses air and I’ve been very pleased going tubeless. Yes that link is correct. I used dishwashing soap, and gave it a tug and it fit right into place. It worked. Heat up the valve stem also so it’s nice and flexible.   I hate to tell you to drill a larger hole... from what I remember my measurements are correct. Still love this little mten!

I already drilled the 11/32nd hole. Sure seems small, but then again I don't think there's room to drill a bigger hole.

Do you happen to remember the mechanics of how you "gave it a tug". The valve puller that came in the kit from your link doesn't fit and I don't see any other method for attaching "something" to the valve to pull (tug) it through.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, I saw the smaller valve, but @Mrd777 posted links to what he used so that's what I bought.

I already drilled the 11/32nd hole. Sure seems small, but then again I don't think there's room to drill a bigger hole.

Do you happen to remember the mechanics of how you "gave it a tug". The valve puller that came in the kit from your link doesn't fit and I don't see any other method for attaching "something" to the valve to pull (tug) it through.

Marty the valve puller screws directly on the brass threads of the short valve. I’m not sure what you mean that it doesn’t fit? Put the valve through your drilled hole, attach the puller by screwing it on, use a small block of wood ( I know you have) for leverage and pull it up through the hole.

maybe they sent you a wrong valve puller?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Marty the valve puller screws directly on the brass threads of the short valve. I’m not sure what you mean that it doesn’t fit? Put the valve through your drilled hole, attach the puller by screwing it on, use a small block of wood ( I know you have) for leverage and pull it up through the hole.

maybe they sent you a wrong valve puller?

The valve puller (I"m positive it's the same one that's in the picture of the product that you linked to) is too big to fit down close to the hole where the valve stem comes through. And the valve stem doesn't come out of the hole far enough to clear the rim so that the puller can be attached.

But I just realized that I can attach a smaller 1-inch valve extender to the valve and then I can attach the valve puller. Thanks for the tips of heat and soapy water. Will be trying again shortly.

I'm filming everything so you'll get to see in my frustrations :)

On 4/22/2019 at 11:42 AM, GQS said:

I bought the larger car tire stems and tried to shave them but they ended up being much too large still.  I didn't feel like drilling the hub hole.  I bought this micro-stem (ebay link), and it fits the stock hole perfectly.  This micro stem is the same one that Gotway uses at the factory I believe.  Just get this to make your life easier. It is significantly shorter and thinner than even the short small car valve. 

I actually pulled it through the hole with a string. 

1136245280_stempullstring.thumb.jpg.a40751599e7846609f32128c91a2ea05.jpg

Thanks. I completed the work a couple of days ago with the large valve. Just had to soak it in hot soapy water and it snapped right in. Didn't want to wait the 2+ weeks to get the smaller valve.

I filmed the whole exercise, which may be of interest to a few people.

Edited by GQS
updated quoted link

I genuinely tried my hardest to shave down a automobile tire stem, boiled it in hot water, lubed it up and still I was not strong enough to pull it through the original hole.  I suspect enlargement of the hole is necessary to use a stock automobile stem.  This is what forced me to find the micro-stem.  The micro-stem snapped right in without any hard work, no heat, no lube, just a gentle consistent tug of the blue string and it snapped through the stock hole.  Here is my shaving efforts on the automobile tire stem.  Still not good enough. 

20180609_234431.thumb.jpg.4dc1d7ac653212c9225524d0eff718a6.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GQS said:

I genuinely tried my hardest to shave down a automobile tire stem, boiled it in hot water, lubed it up and still I was not strong enough to pull it through the original hole.  I suspect enlargement of the hole is necessary to use a stock automobile stem.  This is what forced me to find the micro-stem.  The micro-stem snapped right in without any hard work, no heat, no lube, just a gentle consistent tug of the blue string and it snapped through the stock hole.  Here is my shaving efforts on the automobile tire stem.  Still not good enough. 

20180609_234431.thumb.jpg.4dc1d7ac653212c9225524d0eff718a6.jpg

I do want to make it clear that I followed the original instructions, so I drilled out the hole with a 11/32nds drill bit. Then with hot water soaking, soapy water, and a big heave-ho, the slipped in. It's been holding air great.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

After 6 days and 20 miles of use my Mten3 has developed a puncture :(

It is a currently fitted with an innertube  but I've heard others say removing the tyre is difficult and I should convert it to tubeless - can anyone please point me toward the valve I need please? I'm in the UK so ideally a UK seller would be preferred

Do I need to do anything to the tyre / wheel in order to convert it to tubeless ?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

something like these perhaps? Google led me to ebay which led me to realize its uber common. My guess is Gotway wouldnt waste money in using something uncommon. Looks like standard short scooter valves. You may have to drill to the perfect size, but I wouldnt see that being an issue into this cheap aluminum. Be aware that youll more than likely need to drill 2 holes to ensure proper shoulder depth/size. Shoulder would need a squared tip bit and cooling perhaps, MAYBE the right step bit could get the shoulder good enough. I dont know if tubed versions are drilled as such. Dial/vernier caliper would be mighty usefull. How you like the litte bastard so far btw?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Thanks Shane but I'm not prepared to drill a brand new wheel with 21 miles of use.

To be honest I'm pissed of with the whole scenario, I can't find an adapter to convert it to tubeless and can't get an inner tube either.

Edited by Gasmantle

I agree its total BS if you cant simply find a tube to fit. I don't know if I'd bother to convert it, until maybe a noticed flats becoming too common. Surely theres a tube out there to fit, it aint like shipping batteries. Apologies I cant point in the right direction for a tube for you.  Fwiw, brand new and 21 miles are vastly different. I feel your pain tho. YOu prolly aint even knocked the new off it much yet. Let alone given up on warranties. WHen you do find a tube, buy two :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I agree its total BS if you cant simply find a tube to fit. I don't know if I'd bother to convert it, until maybe a noticed flats becoming too common. Surely theres a tube out there to fit, it aint like shipping batteries. Apologies I cant point in the right direction for a tube for you.  Fwiw, brand new and 21 miles are vastly different. I feel your pain tho. YOu prolly aint even knocked the new off it much yet. Let alone given up on warranties. WHen you do find a tube, buy two :)

I'm messaging an ebay tyre / tube seller who may be able to help, if I can get a tube and get the tyre off I'd prefer to do that rather than go tubeless. I'm told it's a pain to get the tyre off though.

If the worst comes to the worst I might be able to go to a car tyre fitter and see if they'll remove it for a few quid.

I know it's not the end of the world but I was looking forward to using it so I'm now a bit deflated (pun intended ha ha)  :D

Maybe I'm missing something here but why can't one find a 10x3 tube? Maybe its not available in GB but there definitely lots on Ali stores. Its gonna take some shipping time as all so you might wanna order a few spares.

Personally I wouldn't do a conversion unless one is pretty handy with this kinda thing. Nothing wrong with tt tires as it gives more tire options incl knobbies. Just make you slime it on your new install though.

Btw I thought all recent Mten3's come tubeless. I know mine is. Anyways @Marty Backe has a conversion vid on it & I linked it below. You can shoot him a msg for more details as well

Edited by Scottie888
  • Like 2

@Scottie888So far the only I've been able tube I've been able to find ships from China - I'm currently waiting a reply from an ebay seller who has what I think I need.

Like an idiot last week when I got the puncture I ordered what I thought was the correct tube but it is 10" internal diameter and obviously doesnt fit - I accept that is my stupidity though.

Just a FYI but have you considered patching the leaky tube? Any bike shop will have tube repair kits & its super easy to do. You won't even have to remove the entire tire to pull out the tube. Just a thought ya

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Just a FYI but have you considered patching the leaky tube? Any bike shop will have tube repair kits & its super easy to do. You won't even have to remove the entire tire to pull out the tube. Just a thought ya

Thanks, I did consider that but the valve stem has now completely withdrawn itself into the wheel rim so I think unless I can convert it to tubeless then the tyre will need to be removed.

2 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Thanks, I did consider that but the valve stem has now completely withdrawn itself into the wheel rim so I think unless I can convert it to tubeless then the tyre will need to be removed.

O well ya gotta go what ya gatta do. If you're gonna do the tubeless conversion, I'd recco you sandpaper the outer interior rim to remove any oxidation & unevenness & use bead sealer to help prevent slow leaks. Otherwise, pull out the tube & try a repair. The Mten3's 10x3 tire is somewhat of a biatch to remove/install but hey, take it as a good learning experience. Not that I'd wanna try it meself mind you 😅

Goodluck brah

• Like 1