eWheels contracts outside company for custom battery packs

EUC Addict

Wow, what happened to the Gotway battery packs? Gotway's 18650 packs were the best of all!

How can they even f**k this up by only using different cells when nothing else changed? Or is it the cells themselves?

What changed?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wow, what happened to the Gotway battery packs?

This is eWheels' response to the Monster Pro that burst into flames in the back of someone's Subaru and eWheels' cargo container fire. These custom batteries appear to be only for the Monster Pro and EX and they don't use 18650 packs as you probably already know.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EUC Addict said:

These custom batteries appear to be only for the Monster Pro and EX and they don't use 18650 packs as you probably already know.

Monster Pro and EX have the same bog-standard 900Wh packs as every other wheel Nikola-sized or bigger, do they not? Is there something different about the packs in the Monster Pro/EX?

And I meant that Gotway's 18650 packs were basically flawless, so I'm surprised the change to 21700s (while everything else presumably stayed the same) produced the current mess.

• Like 1

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Monster Pro and EX have the same bog-standard 900Wh packs as every other wheel Nikola-sized or bigger, do they not? Is there something different about the packs in the Monster Pro/EX?

And I meant that Gotway's 18650 packs were basically flawless, so I'm surprised the change to 21700s (while everything else presumably stayed the same) produced the current mess.

I believe its not the quality of the individual cells that are in question, but the safeguards installed when hooking up the banks.  I.E. no over current fuse.  Nothing to stop fire if short condition occurs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I believe its not the quality of the individual cells that are in question, but the safeguards installed when hooking up the banks.  I.E. no over current fuse.  Nothing to stop fire if short condition occurs.

Did the Nikola and MSP/RS have any extra protection the Pro/EX do not have?

There must be something different. Gotway has been making 900Wh 21700 packs for a while now, but only with the newest wheels the fires started.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Is there something different about the packs in the Monster Pro/EX?

Not that I'm aware of at the moment. My opinion is that there really isn't a battery issue at all. There are reasonable explanations for how those wheels caught fire that have nothing to do with the batteries and more to due with water ingress issues and poor packing/wheel transport.

Fear is real though and it affects sales and when you're sitting on a $400,000 order you have the weight to throw around to do something to alleviate your customers' fears.

• Like 3

From the perspective of preventing battery fires and the news provided,  I would like to hear all they are changing myself to see.  I heard from a few Begode open wheel reviews on youtube that sometimes the battery packs are not sufficiently isolated by compartments and\or circuitry i.e. fuses.  It could also be the wires at which they use may not have the sufficient gauge for the amperage pull causing excessive heat on a hard push.  Just guessing without knowing what eWheels is doing.

2 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I would like to hear all they are changing myself to see.

eWheels is being mum on the nitty gritties right now, but I did hear they are currently testing the batteries and plan to test the rest of this month, which is why EX and Monster Pro shipments are being pushed till May.

For Begode's part they did add a 150A fuse between the battery packs and control board on the Monster Pro. They also added a fuse to the control board and cover to help protect from dust etc. These updates are on the 3rd gen of the control board. This 3rd gen also releases more power in the Monster Pro.

• Like 2

The only component of Gotway wheels i truly find to be superior are their motors/firmware. 

If i could pay a 3rd party company to manufacture my battery packs preferably with better cells and construction, another to manufacture a more beefy control board (somehow containing Gotway firmware), another to 3d print a superior shell out of more durable material fitted with a veteran type roll cage, and yet another to create a piezo that is very audible at 50+ km/h i'd die happy.

That does seem more like a dream than something that might happen so i'd settle for a hollow bore veteran wheel for now... Preferably with a good piezo.

But i am happy to see ewheels do this - the less Gotway has to do with the production of their wheels the better lol.
If somehow they could just supply motors/firmware to the other companies and forgo making actual eucs we'd be close to living in a perfect (euc) world.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 5:54 PM, EUC Addict said:

Electric unicycle online communities have been vigorously discussing best practices for EUC storage in light of recent reports of wheels bursting into flames. Fire blankets being the most widely discussed method of protection. Begode even issued a letter to help alleviate public fear. YouTubers sponsored by eWheels began making calls to temporarily boycott Begode until the company addressed its quality control issues.

However, Begode’s efforts weren’t satisfactory to eWheels owner Jason McNeil. According to Marty Backe, who runs the fourth most viewed YouTube channel about EUC’s in the U.S., eWheels has contracted with an outside facility to make its own battery packs for the Monster Pro and EX. Some of the upgrades will include... (Read more)

site is down @EUC Addict

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, MattDeamon said:

Any new information since the last post ?

AlienRides is now offering 3 choices for batteries in the Master.

https://alienrides.com/collections/electric-unicycles/products/begode-master-electric-unicycle?variant=42485917516030

NibzBVQ.png