Difficult to believe how far cell cameras have come

Tawpie

I haul along a G7 Play purchased expressly for EUC World, it's a fine thing and you simply can't beat the pricing!

But since I now seem to have a steadycam, I'm tempted to try a Smooth 4 gimbal on a stick as a heavy but lower cost way to include the wheel in the shots... however I'm not a storyteller or videographer so I should funnel the money to a hextech pedal. It's just that the tech available today is so cool it'd be fun to spend some time fiddle farting around. I could do a dolly zoom on approach to a pile of road apples in 60 FPS 4K HDR Dolby Vision.

The ultrawide lens on the iphone actually does not have OIS (optical image stabilization) unlike the regular and tele lens. You don’t really need it on ultrawide, with that lens your shot is naturally more stable. 

• Like 2

Very impressive Tawpie!  Yes Iphones have the best cameras for cell phones I believe.  I'm shocked at the photos and video my wife's IPhone takes.

12 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I wonder if the sensor shift stabilizer is in play on that lens?

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-12-pro-max-camera-review-big-and-beautiful/

So that link has the specs for each camera. Doesn’t look the ultrawide has any stabilization, which makes sense as usually you don’t need it with a lens like that. 

• Like 1

image stabilization is voodoo magic! I am also shocked at how all us euc riders seem to float without bumps in our vids. :) Grab you one goto selfie stick with tripod built in and call it a day. Spending more on unicycles than cameras just makes perfect sense. I do keep a cam mounted to the front of my cycle, but the static view gets boring fast. Pretty much just keep it there for when I get run over or in a badass crash. NOthin worse than road rash, hospital bills and no damn footage to enjoy during recovery! I always shoot as wide as possible. Always easier to crop later than to add what wasnt captured.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I wonder if the sensor shift stabilizer is in play on that lens?

The sensor shift OIS is only on the primary camera. For video, it's probably not even used. I'm not in the smart phone camera business any more (and I haven't received much insider information recently either), but most phones turn off OIS in video and switch to EIS. That's in large part because OIS only works for very small angles (typ. ±0.5°). I've only heard of Google doing hybrid OIS+EIS stabilization.

From the look of that video, it appears Apple has taken a leaf out of GoPro's Hypersmooth book.

• Like 2