Outside Charging Only

gon2fast

I have shifted away from charging my wheels in the garage in favor of a concrete pad in my back yard.

I realize this is not an option for all, but it makes sense for anyone with the option (IMHO). Not too worried if my wheel goes up in flames in the middle of my back yard. Combustion in the house or garage is a different story that puts my family and neighbors at risk. 

Next addition is a big pile of sand next to my charging spot and maybe a welder's blanket. 

Old news lol.

• Like 3

Basically, your wheel will be safe when California goes up in flames this year, as it does almost every year? Excellent! Maybe put a cooler full of beer next to it and a lawnchair. :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I have shifted away from charging my wheels in the garage in favor of a concrete pad in my back yard.

I realize this is not an option for all, but it makes sense for anyone with the option (IMHO). Not too worried if my wheel goes up in flames in the middle of my back yard. Combustion in the house or garage is a different story that puts my family and neighbors at risk. 

Next addition is a big pile of sand next to my charging spot and maybe a welder's blanket. 

Old news lol.

I was thinking about doing the same thing even consider getting a job box(metal container the sell at Home Depot for tools) and just leave them in there charging and all. We have dogs so that’s what freaks me out the most is not being home and something happening.

• Like 1

I had to come to the reality that if a wheel caught fire in the garage it would be situation critical by the time someone knew in the house (everyone is wearing headphones via covid plus the logistics of the former charging spot in relation to our living areas come into play). A wheel can burn in my backyard with minimal risk, plus I have I have access to a hose and soil in real time. 

Makes so much more sense, but I am lucky/fortunate to have the option.

At the end of the day if the darn thing catches fire I don't want any additional worries other than watching my investment go up in smoke.

• Like 2

YOu do know that a REAL euc enthusiast would cry over the euc burning and laugh at the house, right? Cmon man, I expected much better from you! :furious:   Headphones due to covid... learn something new everyday. What you guys doing out there in the west? Nevermind, I dont need to know...  Storing a wheel outside isnt a bad option, if you live in some wierd place that its always mild temps. RocyTop and I get to enjoy rain a measely 350 days a year. The other two weeks are simply snow...

• Like 3

Is there really a greater risk of combustion while charging? It seems to me all the incidents seem to occur either while riding or while stored. I cant say i have heard of many fires resulting from the charging process. Notabley the most recent incidents all happened to wheels that where stored (the monster pro in the dudes car, the gotway in the storage container, the wheel in someones apartment, my buddys board caught flame during a ride etc.)

4 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Is there really a greater risk of combustion while charging?

Yes, GW and Veteran chargers are not well made and have caused issues in my garage. Don't let your guard down friend...

16 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

YOu do know that a REAL euc enthusiast would cry over the euc burning

I have back-up wheels and home insurance, no need for tears, I am covered LOL

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Yes, GW and Veteran chargers are not well made and have caused issues in my garage. Don't let your guard down friend...

I have back-up wheels and home insurance, no need for tears, I am covered LOL

Stock up on marshmallow and beer.... you got it made in the shade with chances for HI-heat to temper your fade ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

Is there really a greater risk of combustion while charging? It seems to me all the incidents seem to occur either while riding or while stored. I cant say i have heard of many fires resulting from the charging process. Notabley the most recent incidents all happened to wheels that where stored (the monster pro in the dudes car, the gotway in the storage container, the wheel in someones apartment, my buddys board caught flame during a ride etc.)

GoGeorgeGo - you are correct. Charging is not the only culprit. Maybe my 250lb butt hops off a curb one too many times and loosens some internal connections which cause a short...

Resko727 - you are on the right path, I am planning contained outside storage as well. My only concern is humidity control, but that can be easily addressed. 

I stand corrected. Charging is a fire risk, but it is not the only fire risk associated with our wheels.

• Like 1