Smart watch for V8F without phone?

• Rodo changed the title to Smart watch for V8F without phone?

lemfo works standalone with eucw. Its a full android device. There are a few android 'watches' that can handle the task. I dont own a cell phone, so its what i use.

• Like 1

Agreed. The LEMFO LEM-T is a tiny smartphone with a wrist strap. You can (if you want) put a cellular SIM chip in and use it as a phone. It has Wi-Fi and [weak] Bluetooth, GPS, heart rate monitor, pedometer, and works with the Google PlayStore to install apps. However, it's a hacked version of Android with most security features disabled, so know that before using it with private stuff like email.

The battery life is "great" because CPU speed is "good," not "great" (it doesn't defy the laws of physics, chemistry, or time-space). 

The price is excellent at $120 delivered from BangGood. 

I disabled the heart rate monitor, pedometer, and radios (when not needed) to extend battery life, which is now about a week--depending. Using EUC World, GPS, a few other apps and leaving the screen on reasonable amounts (in other words "heavy wheel use") and turning it off at night, the battery lasts about two days.

3 minutes ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

Agreed. The LEMFO LEM-T is a tiny smartphone with a wrist strap. You can (if you want) put a cellular SIM chip in and use it as a phone. It has Wi-Fi and [weak] Bluetooth, GPS, heart rate monitor, pedometer, and works with the Google PlayStore to install apps. However, it's a hacked version of Android with most security features disabled, so know that before using it with private stuff like email.

The battery life is "great" because CPU speed is "good," not "great" (it doesn't defy the laws of physics, chemistry, or time-space). 

The price is excellent at $120 delivered from BangGood. 

I disabled the heart rate monitor, pedometer, and radios (when not needed) to extend battery life, which is now about a week--depending. Using EUC World, GPS, a few other apps and leaving the screen on reasonable amounts (in other words "heavy wheel use") and turning it off at night, the battery lasts about two days.

I dont think it is capable of full use like a phone. Maybe the mic doesnt pic you up, or something. It can take a sim and do texting as a phone would. I definitely wouldnt use it for anything data sensitive. I 'hacked' into mine and removed all that heart rate and pedometer crap. Bluetooth is somewhat weak and I'd give ita bout a 5' range to my wheels. I think there are other less expensive alternatives, but its all relative. I can say that the lemfo does NOT like being smacked into the ground, as it has a glass screen.

Use a Bluetooth headset for good phone, headphones or earbuds for good audio, and it has the largest screen of any watch so yes its more breakable, though with an added layer of tempered glass and covered with a second layer of self-healing helicopter blade film it's pretty tough. 

I didn't hack it as I only use it for EUC related stuff and the hardware security is more suspect than the software. 

I designed and printed a tpu cover for mine to protect the bevel. I installed a glass protector to hold my broken screen in place. SO far so good. I dont wear it tho, i hang it from clothing or attach to my wheels. It hold and plays my music, eucw and when it quits working I'll buy another. Half the reason I'd buy another is that I dont want to have to figure another stupid damn device out...again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I dont think it is capable of full use like a phone. Maybe the mic doesnt pic you up, or something. It can take a sim and do texting as a phone would. I definitely wouldnt use it for anything data sensitive. I 'hacked' into mine and removed all that heart rate and pedometer crap. Bluetooth is somewhat weak and I'd give ita bout a 5' range to my wheels. I think there are other less expensive alternatives, but its all relative. I can say that the lemfo does NOT like being smacked into the ground, as it has a glass screen.

Can you share how you hacked it? I'm an apple fanboi and this is my first android device. I'd like to get rid of essentially everything except EUC World.

1 hour ago, MurseMGV said:

Can you share how you hacked it? I'm an apple fanboi and this is my first android device. I'd like to get rid of essentially everything except EUC World.

I honestly dont remember. Im an avid apple hater, so it was definitely done on a windows operating system. I THINK I found a version of droid and installed it. It was such a mess of new stuff for me to learn and I honestly dont recall what I ended up doing. Kind of sucks as I'll have to refigure it all out once this one breaks. Im pretty sure it wasnt too tough, or I would have royaly failed. Im thinking that I went into the os files and removed a TON of crap I didnt want. I installed a new dash for it and pretty much wiped it out but for the stuff required. I wish I could tell you exactly, as then I would have a post to refer to in the future. I can tell you this.. it must not have been tough. Of course, Im used to mucking in operating systems from decades of windows computer builds. I honestly have ZERO idea how it compares to a typical apple users knowledge and ability. The lemfo does enable 'developer' unlocking. So you can file transfer and update via usb if you have the proper mediator software.  I was just happy I got it to do what i need and hold all my music, w/o being full of useless crap like most devices contain. Bothering with the lemfo is just about beyod my likes of messing with electronics for an euc ride. Sometimes i think it could make a damn fine rifle target instead.. much easier and mo' fun. If it werent for tours, i wouldnt bother atall on the sherman. I NEVER bother on the mten. :)

DSCN8256.jpgDSCN8257.jpg

I made 2 variations. The other has openings for the buttons. In the past Ive seen the buttons fall out of cheap devices, so I elected to cover them. Harder to get to, but i dont fancy touching them much anyhow. SO far, the case has kept my broken screen from getting worse and I've dropped it on concrete face first more than once since.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

InMotion makes a dedicated watch that connects directly to their wheels. Overall looked quite good with absolutely fantastic battery life, but apparently less-than-stellar screen visibility in sunlight. Not sure if available for just anyone to purchase quite yet.

• 2 weeks later...

A warning about the Lemfo LEMT - do not attempt to remove the wristband. It has two pins inside holding the band on. If you try to get them off to get the band off it is very difficult (you'll need a hammer) and you have a very high chance of damaging the pins and causing your GPS to no longer function (apparently the two pins are used as GPS antennas).

• Like 1

There are toolkits made to disassemble watches. They have several different sized pry-bars for retracting spring pins (called spring bar removers). 

(there are also punches for roll pins found in metal watch bands)

(note this has nothing to do with getting drunk at the bar and getting rolled... @ShanesPlanet

13 hours ago, Tryptych said:

A warning about the Lemfo LEMT - do not attempt to remove the wristband. It has two pins inside holding the band on. If you try to get them off to get the band off it is very difficult (you'll need a hammer) and you have a very high chance of damaging the pins and causing your GPS to no longer function (apparently the two pins are used as GPS antennas).

How odd. I have had my bands off one or twice. My wwatch came with the allen tools and they pushed right out and back in. I musta been lucky. Good info about the antenna, I had no idea.