Segway MiniLITE app support discontinued!?

Some friends got their young son a used Segway MiniLITE which apparently they claim had never had its initial super-low safety limit raised to max and they couldn't get the app to connect to the device to change it.

They contacted Segway and were told app support for the MiniLITE has been discontinued/the app no longer supports the MiniLITE (which they consider old/deprecated), which means any MiniLITEs in this condition are now just completely abandoned and unfixable!?

1. Can anyone else corroborate this?
  2. Is there a way to get an older version of the app before this functionality was removed? Trying to make their currently useless purchase at least usable.

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, Beth said:

I am in the same boat, anyone had any suggestions thus far?

In our case we eventually found one of our old iPhones that still had the old app installed from when my g/f and I owned a MiniLITE, made sure it had no internet connection (cell/wifi turned off), fired up the app, and were able to connect it to our friend's son's device and raise the limit. I still think anyone else in the same boat is essentially screwed unless the android APK of an old version surfaces somewhere (and there's likely no equivalent solution for iPhone users), but there doesn't seem to be a community of any kind to find this sort of thing. (To most people it was just another 'hoverboard'--not something that sparks an enthusiast community where people would have or share things like that.)