Nearly impossible to get a 2nd hand wheel shipped (US)

I've been trying to buy a starter wheel for a couple of weeks now, and I've seen some good deals, but no one wants to ship.

I get it, there are a lot of scammers online who have ruined it for everyone else, and now no one wants to take a chance shipping.

I've contacted 4-5 people online (Facebook Marketplace, mercari, etc.), and none of them will ship, local pickups only. One guys said he just didn't trust anyone online.

I miss the good ol' days, before all the scammers ruined it. Back when you could buy anything, get anything shipped, even buy off Craigslist without the fear of being robbed or murdered.

Anyway, if anyone has a starter wheel they're willing to sell for $200-300, that works. I'm looking to buy one. I've pretty much looked all over the net.

• meepmeepmayer changed the title to Nearly impossible to get a 2nd hand wheel shipped (US)

Where are these $200-300 rideable euc’s of which you speak?  I’ve yet to see one listed on here for anything that low that is rideable, much less 4-5 of them. Shipping an euc costs up to 50% of the top price you’re willing to pay. It’s a matter of economics, not trust, as you claim.

Edited by Treatz
Typo

On 3/2/2021 at 5:40 AM, Treatz said:

Where are these $200-300 rideable euc’s of which you speak?  I’ve yet to see one listed on here for anything that low that is rideable, much less 4-5 of them. Shipping an euc costs up to 50% of the top price you’re willing to pay. It’s a matter of economics, not trust, as you claim.

I've seen a few Ninebot E+ wheels on facebook and Mercari. Another guy had an Inmotion v5 for $300. 

Most have a lot of miles, but I don't  mind that too much since I'm looking for a beginner wheel to learn/beat-up.

Here's a snapshot of 3 NInebot E+ from this week.

kmiriIj.jpg

Edited by GeneralZod
combined pics
  • Like 1

Just my two cents:

im especially wary of ads that use stock photos to add more photos to their ad. A lot of scammers do this to add more photos to make their ad seem more credible, and copy/paste a single photo of a real wheel from google, one that they obviously don’t have.

the only wheel I have experience I’d recommend as a started is a used V5F. But for 300 bucks even they’re sold pretty fast. I sold one that was scuffed to hell, but mechanically sound for 450 locally (Bay Area). It was gone in two days. I wasn’t impressed by the s1, it had quite a lack of pedal stiffness that made learning harder. Dunno about the s2 or e1. 

Edited by Denny Paul

On 3/2/2021 at 12:47 PM, Denny Paul said:

Just my two cents:

im especially wary of ads that use stock photos to add more photos to their ad. A lot of scammers do this to add more photos to make their ad seem more credible, and copy/paste a single photo of a real wheel from google, one that they obviously don’t have.

Obviously the sellers in this case aren't scammers because they're insisting on only in-person exchange and won't sell to this buyer online. If they were scammers they would gladly accept his money online and he would just never receive anything. (If anything scammers would *only* be willing to sell online/wouldn't be interested in in-person exchanges.)

Edited by AtlasP

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Obviously the sellers in this case aren't scammers because they're insisting on only in-person exchange and won't sell to this buyer online...

More than one way to cheated out of your money. The most common you see now is yeah doing it remotely.

Even still, I’ve has someone have a photo of a 800wh 84v Mcm5, and when I showed up it turned out to be the 67v version with half the battery. Wouldn’t be easy to pick up for someone not familiar with them. That was on OfferUp. This kind of scammer wouldn’t want to deal with an electronic payment like PayPal; they’d lose the money if the buyer got wise. 

Getting mugged isn’t out of the question either. a) The buyer is the one who meets the seller more often than not, so the seller can choose a location he knows best. b) The seller can be reasonably confident the buyer will be holding a substantial amount of cash. Similarly, a mugger wouldn’t want a electronic payment; they’d stick with what they know.

I’ve done lots of deals on the forums here, all without a hiccup. Don’t get me wrong, I think the overall the risk is low so long as the posts seem reasonable. A niche hobby like this on a small forum is certainly a very low yield way to scam people. Just not enough traffic.

But you should still be careful with in-person meets made through OfferUp, FB marketplace, or Craigslist. A post with a stock photo doesn’t mean I’ll automatically rule it out as a possible deal, but I’d assert it should absolutely raise an eyebrow. Why wouldn’t they just take photos of what they’ve got?

Most sellers post both...stock photos, and actual photos of the wheel.

I actually just ended up buying one from a guy who was willing to ship. 

I combined the pic posts.

kmiriIj.jpg

Edited by GeneralZod
text edit
  • Like 1