My first faceplant on borrowed Ninebot 1 E

I met up today with another Kingsong owner to flash a new bin file to his wheel to fix a flaw in the bluetooth module that prevents the settings app from working correctly on some of the early 800watt units.I have the KS-18A and mine was one of the units with the flaw.I was unable to successfully flash my unit so I had to replace the control board and now all is well with my wheel.I am also helping anyone near my location with the same problem so today I met up with a 14C owner to flash his unit and it worked perfectly.After a 3 mile ride to the local Starbucks with my new found riding companion,he let me try is his Ninebot 1 E that he had brought along with his Kingsong.I own a 12in wheel,2 14in wheels and the KS-18A ,but have never been on a 16in wheel so the opportunity to try a 16in.Ninebot one E was a no brainer.My first impression was that it felt stiff and very responsive and I liked the ride and power.I rode about 200yrds. down the street and then u turned and headed back up the street towards my house.Since the street in front of my house is inclined at 6 or 7 degrees I wanted to test the Ninebot's uphill acceleration and thus proceeded to accelerate back towards the house.As soon as I was passing the house doing maybe 10-11 mph bam,the One E through me off like a bad habit.Except for a little road rash on my kneecaps and elbows I am unscathed.I am also probably not going to get a Ninebot.It was at the top of list for my next wheel since a 16in model is one size which I have yet to acquire.I hope Kingsong releases their 16in model soon!

3 minutes ago, playdad said:

@jrkline

Out of curiousity, do you feel there's a huge difference in how well a 14" or 16" would take on a speed bump?

I can only really comment on the 14" vs. 18" since the Ninebot didn't afford me much riding time on a 16" platform and I don't have a 16" wheel yet.But I can tell you that an 18" platform handles obstacles like speedbumps and the like much easier than any 14" wheel I've been on.

Hi @jrklineI have no problems riding over speed bumps on GTS 14 or lower powered GTX 174Wh 14 inch, 18 inch definitely handles all changes in surface better than the 14 including speed bumps, riders just need to judge the safe speed, and not have a low battery for the most safety.

The 16 inch is released and can be pre ordered for February delivery, details are here http://www.milbay.com.au/SBV/MB16GTS

After being used to kingsong  trying ninebot can be a disappointment. It was for me at least.  Ninebot is not as agile, you cant accelerate as fast. But it is a 16" wheel after all, so its supposed to be different. I hope kingsong 16" can live up to the expectations but i wouldnt be surprized if there were some disappointments there too. One cannot expect a 16" wheel do certain things a 14" can

Sorry to hear about your fall, you've been lucky to escape relatively undamaged. 

You didnt leave quite clear the cause of our faceplant. Owing some broken bones to  my beloved Ninebot One E+, everytime I read about faceplants it makes my hair stand on end.

Can you explain what happened? Did it shutdown? Do you think you were overleaning? What firmware is the ninebot on?

59 minutes ago, ToniG123 said:

Can you explain what happened? Did it shutdown? Do you think you were overleaning? What firmware is the ninebot on?

Since it wasn't my wheel,I have no idea about the firmware.The wheel remained powered on even after it through me off and I was not overleaning.Whatever the malfunction was,I think it was a flaw in the wheel,and apparently it had thrown off it's owner earlier that same day.

On 12/22/2015 at 10:05 PM, playdad said:

@jrkline

Out of curiousity, do you feel there's a huge difference in how well a 14" or 16" would take on a speed bump?

@jrkline there's a decent difference between 14 and 16 inch wheels in taking bumps. You have to be much more vigilant on the 14. You still have to watch out on a 16 though. On an 18 you only have to watch out for big potholes.

@logos122

Thanks logos122. When you say "more vigilant", it means you just have to be aware of the speedbump's presence but the 14" wheel will still roll over it easily, right? As long as you keep decent balance to cope? The 14" won't actually have real difficulty?

I have no experience on EUCs - only 10" hoverboards which can't take on "sharper" speedbumps - hence my question! The speedbumps in  China are not the smooth "big" broad humps (depth 30++cm) like in some countries but instead are the "small" narrow (depth approx. 20cm) ones that go very quickly up to 2-3 inches in height. Hence my "sharp" descrption!

4 minutes ago, playdad said:

Thanks logos122. When you say "more vigilant", it means you just have to be aware of the speedbump's presence but the 14" wheel will still roll over it easily, right? As long as you keep decent balance to cope? The 14" won't actually have real difficulty?

Depends on the speed. Cant be too fast and cant be too slow. Each bump angle/heigh will demand its own speed range to take one. 14 will be fine over the large speed bump if you practice enugh to know what your speed should be

14 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Depends on the speed. Cant be too fast and cant be too slow. Each bump angle/heigh will demand its own speed range to take one. 14 will be fine over the large speed bump if you practice enugh to know what your speed should be

@Cloud

Thanks! Which is why I revised my post because there's more than one type of speedbump!

53 minutes ago, playdad said:

The speedbumps in  China are not the smooth "big" broad humps (depth 30++cm) like in some countries but instead are the "small" narrow (depth approx. 20cm) ones that go very quickly up to 2-3 inches in height. Hence my "sharp" descrption!

I was in Shenzhen back in October and was riding around the city on both a 14" and an 8" wheel and had little trouble negotiating the obstacles common to EUC riding including the common Chinese speedbumps.The smaller wheel requires more attention to the surface you're riding on and more of the jumping technique when addressing speedbumps and the like,but even the bigger wheel merits some caution especially on the walkways which are comprised mostly of brick pavers laid atop a bed of sand which tend to buckle and become uneven as opposed to concrete sidewalks.

@jrkline

Thanks! Sorry to sidetrack your "faceplant thread"! I'll probably be going for the 14" IPS Zero hence my concern if it would handle the speedbumps well enough. When you said "smaller wheel", were you referring to the 8" wheel or the 14" wheel?

If you meant the 8"... an 8" wheel can go over speedbumps? Wow. Wait.. did you really mean to type 18"? LOL

2 hours ago, playdad said:

@logos122

@playdad For 2 reasons. The first, is a really big bump can always throw you off. But second, it helps to know a bump is coming to adjust your body to it (bend your legs or jump just before hitting the bump). You'll have to this for smaller bumps on a 14" that a 16" would handle with less adjustment on your end. However, if you are overpowering the wheel, or have a generic 14 inch with little power reverse, even a small bump/increase in incline with result in a faceplant.

56 minutes ago, playdad said:

If you meant the 8"... an 8" wheel can go over speedbumps? Wow. Wait.. did you really mean to type 18"? LOL

Edited 52 minutes ago by playdad

No typo.I was riding the gotway M8 and I could easily manage 3" curbs or speedbumps as long as I employed the jump technique-momentarily jump just before the obstacle so that when the wheel makes contact,only the wheel's own weight has to make the jump since the rider jumps up to remove his weight from the wheel.

6 minutes ago, jrkline said:

No typo.I was riding the gotway M8 and I could easily manage 3" curbs or speedbumps as long as I employed the jump technique-momentarily jump just before the obstacle so that when the wheel makes contact,only the wheel's own weight has to make the jump since the rider jumps up to remove his weight from the wheel.

@jrkline

Ahh wow that sounds really nice!

I guess you can sorta grab the wheel and jump so you go over in sync. I couldn't do the on with my "hover"board. I would probably look like the silly cowboy in the shows where they end up missing the horse.

1 hour ago, playdad said:

@jrkline

Thanks! Sorry to sidetrack your "faceplant thread"! I'll probably be going for the 14" IPS Zero hence my concern if it would handle the speedbumps well enough. When you said "smaller wheel", were you referring to the 8" wheel or the 14" wheel?

Enough thinking. Hit the buy button already! Spend that cash in your vault. Don't let the New year pass without you having an EUC. :lol:

39 minutes ago, SlowMo said:
39 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Enough thinking. Hit the buy button already! Spend that cash in your vault. Don't let the New year pass without you having an EUC. :lol:

@SlowMo

:D You got me! I'm hoping to click the buy button in the next 2 days. That said... I do think quite a bit and research lots before I buy something that costs more than $300. While it kind of kills the quick buy gratification... it has saved me lots of disappointment across a wide range of products. On this forum itself, I've now ruled out the Gotway MCM4 (pedals don't do well in tight turns), Ninebot One (recent firmware issues and heavier weight) and the Inmotion V5+ (low top speed confirmed). If it hadn't been for this forum and the great value its provided, I would probably have grabbed the Ninebot One 2 months back and maybe even got hurt on the bad firmware versions. So the process of elimination has led me to the IPS Zero seeing that the Lhotz, Msuper and KingSong are beyond my "beginner wheel" budget. :P

Just now, playdad said:

:D You got me! I'm hoping to click the buy button in the next 2 days. That said... I do think quite a bit and research lots before I buy something that costs more than $300. While it kind of kills the quick buy gratification... it has saved me lots of disappointment across a wide range of products. On this forum itself, I've now ruled out the Gotway MCM4 (pedals don't do well in tight turns), Ninebot One (recent firmware issues and heavier weight) and the Inmotion V5+ (low top speed confirmed). If it hadn't been for this forum and the great value its provided, I would probably have grabbed the Ninebot One 2 months back and maybe even got hurt on the bad firmware versions. So the process of elimination has led me to the IPS Zero seeing that the Lhotz, Msuper and KingSong are beyond my "beginner wheel" budget. :P

Your the man! I would have been rich by now if I was like you. :D

54 minutes ago, playdad said:

@jrkline

Ahh wow that sounds really nice!

I guess you can sorta grab the wheel and jump so you go over in sync. I couldn't do the on with my "hover"board. I would probably look like the silly cowboy in the shows where they end up missing the horse.

Yes could do it with a hoverboard. I saw a video a while ago where a guy installed an L shaped angle, or a bracket if you will, to the inner side of the wheel casing on each side in such a way that his feet would fit under the long side of the L shaped angle and when he jumos he can lift the hoverboard with him. This has allowed him to jump over sidewalk curbs and such. It can be done

of course you will then have to be careful in case the board gets stuck in a pothole and you have to jump off. The bracket may stop you from easily jumping off the board. But you can go around this too. You can keep your feet closer to the center normally, ( not under the bracket) and right before the jump you can move them apart so that they get under the bracket and can lift the board when jumping,

5 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Yes could do it with a hoverboard. I saw a video a while ago where a guy installed an L shaped angle, or a bracket if you will, to the inner side of the wheel casing on each side in such a way that his feet would fit under the long side of the L shaped angle and when he jumos he can lift the hoverboard with him. This has allowed him to jump over sidewalk curbs and such. It can be done

@Cloud

Wow! Really? Do you still have that link somewhere? I'm not quite sure I want an L shaped bracket on my hoverboard though.. oh wait... I bought it for my wife. :P Still, it sounds really useful!

@SlowMo

You sound rich enough to me.. all those EUCs! But you would have been richER. :lol:

13 minutes ago, playdad said:

@Cloud

Wow! Really? Do you still have that link somewhere? I'm not quite sure I want an L shaped bracket on my hoverboard though.. oh wait... I bought it for my wife. :P Still, it sounds really useful!

@SlowMo

You sound rich enough to me.. all those EUCs! But you would have been richER. :lol:

I will try to look for it right now but not sure how to find. It was posted on youtube about 4 months ago, a guy was doing a review of his hoverboard. Even if i cant find it i can describe how to install it, actually id attach it a bit differently from what he did

11 minutes ago, playdad said:

@SlowMo

Being in China ought to make it alot easier.There are shops that sell wheels where you can go and ride before you buy.The M8 I was riding in Shenzhen I got at the "Smartride" store in the Luoho district near the Hong Kong border and they had no problem letting me test drive it.I believe they have stores in other cities too.

10 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I will try to look for it right now but not sure how to find. It was posted on youtube about 4 months ago, a guy was doing a review of his hoverboard. Even if i cant find it i can describe how to install it, actually id attach it a bit differently from what he did

Ok, i cannot find it, there are million hoverboard reviews on youtube now. But anyway he just got an L shaped steel angle, and attached one side of the angle bracket to the vertical facia of the casing at the wheel on the inner side ( on each side) , he attached it with screws. Id be careful screwing it in . You can even epoxy it to the plastic casing ( even if the epoxy doesnt hold over time and the bracket detaches while jumping, nothing terrible should happen, i assume one would be jumping at a relatively slow speed).

the other side of the angle bracket will project inward from the wheel towards the center horizontally and " hover" over part of your foot ( on both sides). When jumping the foot will engage the bracket and lift the wheel

Archived