Sherman for a heavy rider in hilly / mountainous area?

null

My father is looking at replacing his Monster V3 whose logic board failed. (not diagnosed)

He's on the heavier side with 110Kg / 240pound, and lives in a hilly / mountainous area. (around Nîmes in France)

Could a Sherman be suited? It is not the most torquey EUC, being oriented toward speed, but has a confortable ride and a large battery. Begode is excluded due to before mentioned failure. KS16X could be an option but he'd rather have a larger tire for the confort. The suspended EUCs are limited in battery and probably won't have more torque than the Sherman. (on top of having kinks that are still not ironed out)

Any insight / experience?

The Sherman sounds pretty good. If your father (cool!) didn't complain about the Monster torque, he isn't going to complain about the Sherman torque.

Though I'd get over the Gotway-exclusion and also consider an RS HT or HS. Lighter and more easy to maneuver, but also very powerful. It's the Sherman if the Sherman is just too heavy. Just tell him it's a Begode, not a Gotway;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The Sherman sounds pretty good. If your father (cool!) didn't complain about the Monster torque, he isn't going to complain about the Sherman torque

Thanks, yes its nice he cared about EUC, he's always been into motorcycles and alternative vehicles, so it came naturally.

Yes I would think it should at least have the torque of the Monster, the diameter is smaller and most if not all the specs are higher. The weak point seems to be the logic board as it got fried by Martys overheat hill test (which the Monster survived) That was the prototype though, and while the board havent been redesigned (at that area) the firmware handling the power pull / delivery has.

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

RS HT or HS.

Yes a HT EUC would have been fit, and the hollow bore good for the weight. But they stil have issues with the bearings and worse, Gotway / Begode has seem to have worse quality check than ever.. ( While Hsiang's video might have been a bit overdramatic, they still have more issues that everyone else. Starting with bad conception..)

Overall I believe the Sherman should be fine, and if anything better than the monster. The alternatives are the current Begode (EX could be interesting) but they are just too much of a gamble right now.

Edited by null

The Sherman is good for distance  road riding and easy trails.Its a heavy stable  cruiser (if u get one that has a tyre that fits properly).Its not one for tricks,jumps or riding over logs.Good road cruiser but theres more to riding Eucs than on the road!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your experience @jammen , good to know. I'll forward.
@DangerDan Yes having an current / temperature alarm would be usefull, AFAIK he has an apple watch which could do the trick 👍🏻

Edited by null

My Sherman copes perfectly well with forest trails and hills. I’m 110kg. I ride the Surrey Hills every day. The last frame in my Instagram post shows it going up a hill that is about as steep as a staircase. The ride I did here wasn’t particularly challenging, there are many other locations I ride which are and the Sherman has never let me down. I will post again soon showing it in steeper, more technical single track terrain which it is also good at. 

I occasionally have to dig some mud out from inside the wheel case. 

I think comments around it being a street wheel, maybe you all live in places that are far more extreme?  For me, I have steep hills, clay and sand mud, rocks... no problems here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/16/2021 at 5:11 PM, DangerDan said:

Enable current warnings in EUC World and use bluetooth speakers. This should help to avoid burned up boards from over load....

This is a must. I use some aftershokz bone conduction headphones so I can still hear the world around me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dominic Winsor said:

My Sherman copes perfectly well with forest trails and hills. I’m 110kg. I ride the Surrey Hills every day. The last frame in my Instagram post shows it going up a hill that is about as steep as a staircase. The ride I did here wasn’t particularly challenging, there are many other locations I ride which are and the Sherman has never let me down. I will post again soon showing it in steeper, more technical single track terrain which it is also good at. 

I occasionally have to dig some mud out from inside the wheel case. 

I think comments around it being a street wheel, maybe you all live in places that are far more extreme?  For me, I have steep hills, clay and sand mud, rocks... no problems here. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. Its for my dad, he's about your weight and live in a hilly area. Its not about being able to do crazy mountain off-road, just riding around without burning the board at every slope :) Good to get to confirm it holds for normal heavy use, its what I suspected. Its not a HT EUC but plenty of EUCs have done hills before this one, so there.

• Like 1