What would be a good 2nd wheel to pair with a Sherman? 16x vs Mten3 vs MCM5v2

I currently own a 16x because it seemed the most versatile wheel for me at the time (2019)- I could ride it to work from home and back, or throw it in the car and use it as a last mile commuter when I traveled into the city. Now I'm looking to get a Sherman since I'm a relatively large guy (235 lbs and 6'2") and planned on using it as a commuter wheel- the 16x gets the job done between work and home but I am frequently being passed by cars doing 30+ mph making the 16x a bit dangerous considering traffic (while I've hit 31mph on it, I don't feel comfortable sustaining anything above 28mph on the 16x).

With the Sherman, I'd use it to keep up with the flow of traffic while I'm commuting from home to work. Unfortunately, the Sherman is not a wheel I'm going to throw in the back of my car for a last mile commuter wheel. Since the 16x probably won't get much use comparatively, I don't know how much sense it makes to keep it as just a last mile commuter. I was looking at a 2nd smaller wheel to pretty much throw in the car and screw around at the destination- ideally something with a lot of low end torque that I can safely cruise at 20mph if I needed to travel that last mile. I am torn between keeping the 16x for this, or trading it for the MCM5v2 or MTen3.

So my question really is what would pair well with the Sherman? Should I keep my 16x or sell it and get a MCM5v2, 84v 460wh Mten3, or 84v 512wh Mten3? (Or another option that I haven't considered)

Edited by HumbleHusky
Grammar and spelling
  • Like 3

I've only had my Mten3 for 2 days so I'm probably not the best person to offer advice but I think if you are wanting to cruise at 20mph it probably isn't the wheel for you.

It's a great little wheel to keep in the back of the car or put in a rucksack for a quick commute of a few miles but personally I wouldn't want to ride it regularly at 20mph. Owing to it's small size it seems to magnify the effect of speed so that 20mph will feel incredibly fast, because I've only just bought my wheel and still getting used to it I've probably not exceeded about 12mph yet and even that feels fast.

I've no doubt once I've gotten more used to it I'll try it at 20mph occasionally but I don't think it would be ideal for regular use at that kind of speed.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Keep the 16X. I have the smallest version of mten and its meager top speed of 12mph(i think) is still damn fast. 

Shane, I thought all Mten's had the same top speed of 24mph?

I could be wrong but I thought the 64v ones just had a smaller battery and slightly slower acceleration. 

• Like 1

Vee is a freaking beast! She doesnt just 'claim' things, she freaking DOES it! Be sure and subscribe to her channel, she is elloquent, intelligent and just amazing. If only I had nutz as big as hers!

• Like 2

@HumbleHusky it depends on what your car destinations are and what kind of last mile traveling you would be doing. If you primarily intend to mix it up in pedestrian areas ... then the Mten3 wins. If you plan to do some light general touring of an area and mix it up with bicycles then I like @RetroThruster MCM5 suggestion. But if you really want to do some miles when you get there, keep the 16X. So it all depends on where your car ends up. But the MCM5 sounds like it would be the best wheel for all of that kind of stuff ... more flexibility. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would keep the 16X. I have an mten3. It's fun and can propel my 250 pounds at a sustained 15 mph. I have to tread very lightly through. I have to worry about cutouts and breaking the axle. I have the 67 volt version. I purchased it not knowing I would receive an RS a few weeks later. I still ride the mten3. The 67 volt version was the best value. What the asking price for the 84 volt version is I would rather get the mcm5.

• Like 2