Riding a euc one-legged

John Eucist

I have no problems riding backwards and doing 180 degree twists to forwards and vice versa.  I do, however, have a problem with riding one-legged as naturally as some of you do.

For me when I ride one-legged I feel a huge OUTWARD force on my foot while standing on the pedal.  It almost feels like my foot is very close to ejecting from my shoe with that force.  INWARD force on the calf and OUTWARD force on the foot.  Is this a normal phenomenon for all of you who ride it so naturally one-legged?

I think this is totally normal what you experience. For me it's the same. It's physics. Wearing shoes with a high shaft, which stabilises the ankles and having a stiff sole helps.

This is normal, but it varies significantly with the wheel design.

Shorter fatter wheels make it more unconformable.  Taller, slimmer wheels make it easier.  Also, the padding and shapness of the edge at the top of the casing makes a difference.   This is my primary complaint against the MCM2, it is short and side with very little padding and a sharp edge, which makes one-foot riding much less comfortable than the solowheel.

For any wheel you can mitigate the pain by leaning the wheel over towards the empty pedel.  This reduces the forces and makes it feel less like you foot is going to slide out.  Leaning the wheel a little like this also makes getting on a lot smoother/easier (since mounting the wheel is essentially momentary one-foot riding). 

This is normal, but it varies significantly with the wheel design.

Shorter fatter wheels make it more unconformable.  Taller, slimmer wheels make it easier.  Also, the padding and shapness of the edge at the top of the casing makes a difference.   This is my primary complaint against the MCM2, it is short and side with very little padding and a sharp edge, which makes one-foot riding much less comfortable than the solowheel.

For any wheel you can mitigate the pain by leaning the wheel over towards the empty pedel.  This reduces the forces and makes it feel less like you foot is going to slide out.  Leaning the wheel a little like this also makes getting on a lot smoother/easier (since mounting the wheel is essentially momentary one-foot riding). 

Thanks for the info guys.  Guess I'll have to practice more (now that I know this is a normal phenomenon) and perhaps find a pair of tighter fitting shoes.  :D  And yes I do angle the euc towards the empty peddle side to mount (as would be the case with everyone, naturally, I guess).

Only problem then is because the wheel is over at an angle it's going to try to go in circles.

Indeed that can be a problem, but you can correct for it usually.

Having said that, I've been trying to lean to ride one legged on the outside pedal (left foot the right foot pedal) and while it seems reasonably easy to ride in a circle, the amount of lean required makes it very hard to ride straight like that.   I call this outside riding, BTW.

A lot of the videos show people swinging their free leg to counteract the turning effect of the angle but I've yet to see anyone do a smooth circle in the opposite direction to the lean. :)

A lot of the videos show people swinging their free leg to counteract the turning effect of the angle but I've yet to see anyone do a smooth circle in the opposite direction to the lean. :)

Are you talking about regular one-footed, or outside-footed?

Either way, as all the ones I've seen use the spare leg to swing in order to counteract the natural curve caused by the lean. This makes a smooth circle in the opposite direction to the lean very difficult to pull off.

Yes, I see what you mean.

I would say that circling the "wrong way" is much much harder when riding on on the outside of the wheel.     I guess this is because one has to lean the wheel much further over to counteract the fact that your whole body weight is on the outside of the wheel.   With normal one-footed riding its possible to ride without any lean as long as you have a EUC with reasonable leg padding.  This not true to outside riding, pretty much have to lean the wheel to stay on.

Yes, I see what you mean.

I would say that circling the "wrong way" is much much harder when riding on on the outside of the wheel.     I guess this is because one has to lean the wheel much further over to counteract the fact that your whole body weight is on the outside of the wheel.   With normal one-footed riding its possible to ride without any lean as long as you have a EUC with reasonable leg padding.  This not true to outside riding, pretty much have to lean the wheel to stay on.

What do you mean by "outside of the wheel"?  The leg on the pedal that is farther from the center of the circle you are making?  But that's the natural side to turn for one-legged?

What do you mean by "outside of the wheel"?  The leg on the pedal that is farther from the center of the circle you are making?  But that's the natural side to turn for one-legged?

I'm pretty sure Sam is referring to riding one legged with the euc at your side rather than between your legs. The right foot on the left pedal or visa versa.

Archived