Jump to content

Purchased a used mten3 and now I can't change any of the settings.


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, 

I just bought my first wheel (gotway 84v 512 mten3) used and I seem unable to adjust any of the beeps or "top speed" settings. (I assume the topspeed limit is tiltback?) I've been reading you have to change these settings from the previous owner's app before the wheel will allow a new app to adjust the settings?

If this is true, is there any way to factory reset the mten3? Currently the max speed is set to 20kph and the beeps start at 8kph. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to worry, the wheel can't even know which app is connected or whether you are the original owner. Other than remembering settings and mileage, it is stateless. Like new every time you switch it on.

You probably just use a shitty app (any of the official Gotway app versions). Use EUC World (Android) or DarknessBot (iOS). So once you find an app that works, that's it.

Tiltback is tiltback, which can be set freely. The top speed beeps (fixed speed) can't be disabled. There are the "1st alarm" and "2nd alarm" speed beeps (at fixed speeds) which can be en-/disabled.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Luffy that would never tiltback and never give speed warnings except the final 5 beeps near cut-off, no matter the setting or app I used. Also, I had a Gen.1 Mten3 that would never keep the "strong" setting in ride mode, it always defaulted to "weak/easy" every time I turned the wheel on, again no if I used Gotway's app, Darknessbot, or Wheelog.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was using EUC world, the app couldnt change the the 20kph setting, nor could it disable any of the beeps haha. I tried wheellog, and the new begode app to no avail. However, all the apps could switch the light on and off so i know theyre connecting. Strange behaviour. (also what does open all alarms mean? haha)

Link to post
Share on other sites

As @meepmeepmayer says, the "old" wheels (when wheels were a new thing) didn't save much to non-volatile memory. It was "the stone age" of riding a battery-powered unicycle. (a few years back... LOL )

EUC World has an option (Settings -> Wheel) to remember your preferences and send them to the wheel each time EUC World connects to the wheel.

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
Link to post
Share on other sites

Buggy board? I never heard of this before.

I'm out of ideas, other than opening the wheel, disconnecting the battery, switching the wheel on to drain the power, maybe see if there is a small battery on the board and remove it, and see if that does anything. But that's a long shot.

Scammed by the seller who knew this was going on? How much did you pay?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I had a Luffy that would never tiltback and never give speed warnings except the final 5 beeps near cut-off, no matter the setting or app I used. Also, I had a Gen.1 Mten3 that would never keep the "strong" setting in ride mode, it always defaulted to "weak/easy" every time I turned the wheel on, again no if I used Gotway's app, Darknessbot, or Wheelog.

@Michael TuckerDid you manage to sort out your Mten resetting the ride mode?

I've just bought my new Mten and it's only 2 days old but it seems to default to the medium riding mode sometimes (not always) although I prefer the hard setting.

I'm using just the EUC world app and it still says that it is in hard mode even though the wheel feels to be in medium mode.

Edited by Gasmantle
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Buggy board? I never heard of this before.

I'm out of ideas, other than opening the wheel, disconnecting the battery, switching the wheel on to drain the power, maybe see if there is a small battery on the board and remove it, and see if that does anything. But that's a long shot.

Scammed by the seller who knew this was going on? How much did you pay?

I paid $950 Cad. 

Adam says here that you need to turn off the tiltback on the gotway app? -->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJwTE7yRZV4%3D300

Could it be remembering the tiltback from the previous owners app?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Super B said:

Could it be remembering the tiltback from the previous owners app?

Not sure what's going on here.

The wheel only remembers any settings insofar that they stay when you switch it off and on again. There are no "previous owner" or "you" settings, just what is currently set.

If the previous owner could change settings, then you should be able to as well! There is no mechanism how the wheel could even discriminate between who is sending it commands (so any app should work, there is no owner lock of any kind, no serial number, etc.). The Gotway app communication protocol is extremely basic and dumb. An app can't even read which settings are currently employed because that info isn't sent back to the app from the wheel. All it sends is things like speed, current, voltage, mileage, etc.

Try the old Gotway app as found in the Download section of this forum: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=11932 (needs a manual install of the .apk). Maybe it works.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not sure what's going on here.

If the previous owner could change settings, then you should be able to as well! There is no mechanism how the wheel could even discriminate between who is sending it commands (so any app should work, there is no owner lock of any kind, no serial number, etc.). The Gotway app communication proocol is extremely basic and dumb. An app can't even read which settings are currently employed because that info isn't sent back to the app from the wheel. All it sends is things like speed, current, voltage, mileage, etc.

Try the old Gotway app as found in the Download section of this forum: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=11932 (needs a manual install of the .apk). Maybe it works. I hope it does, because otherwise it looks (to me) like the board is acting funky and you could never change any settings.

 

The "no load" speed seems to be limited to 25kph with no app connected, even after a reboot. I think it should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 if im correct? If i calibrate the wheel do you think that might do anything? If all else fails, ill do the power cycle mentioned above. I'm going to meet with the previous owner to see if we can get it to "unlock" via his app. Also there's ~300km on the machine.

 

Also, that app's language is stuck in sanskrit or something lol. I am however able to change soft/medium/hard modes, but just not the top speed. It does sound like a power/board issue though as the no load speed is exactly half of what it should be on the gotway website. 

 

 

Edited by Super B
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Super B said:

The "no load" speed seems to be limited to 25kph with no app connected, even after a reboot.

What happens at 25kph when you lift the wheel?

Rapid speedup to max speed and beeping, then shutting off? Then that's a tiltback set at 25kph.

Other than setting a tiltback speed (or switching tiltback off), there's only two other settings. Enable/disable the 1st alarm (2 beeps at a fixed, unchangeable speed) and enable/disable the 2nd alarm (3 beeps at a fixed, unchangeable speed).

7 minutes ago, Super B said:

I think it should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 if im correct?

Yep.

7 minutes ago, Super B said:

I'm going to meet with the previous owner to see if we can get it to "unlock" via his app.

If that works, I have no idea how it could work. There is no "his" or "your" app. Just commands sent via Bluetooth.

Maybe somehow it's your phone? Restart your phone maybe. Can you try someone else's phone?

Try the old app first if you haven't already.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

What happens at 25kph when you lift the wheel?

Rapid speedup to max speed and beeping, then shutting off? Then that's a tiltback set at 25kph.

Yes this is the problem, but it seems that I'm unable to change it so far in the begode app, euc world, and the wheel log app. (also unable to silence the first or second alarm although it beeps as if its received the command)

Under normal operation does the wheel store the tiltback/alarm settings? 

 

27 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Try the old Gotway app as found in the Download section of this forum: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=11932 (needs a manual install of the .apk). 

This app is stuck in what I believe is sanscrit and pressing anywhere on the screen or powering up the wheel doesnt do anything. I'll dig out an older android phone and give it a shot.

Edited by Super B
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Super B said:

Under normal operation does the wheel store the tiltback/alarm settings? 

Yes.

The behavior is totally normal, you just have tiltback set to 25kph. And can't change it, apparently.

1 hour ago, Super B said:

Yes this is the problem, but it seems that I'm unable to change it so far in the begode app, euc world, and the wheel log app.

Cool, I just learned that Wheellog can change settings now!

Btw the wheel beeps twice when an app connects to it, and when it receives a command to set a specific setting.

1 hour ago, Super B said:

This app is stuck in what I believe is sanscrit and pressing anywhere on the screen or powering up the wheel doesnt do anything. I'll dig out an older android phone and give it a shot.

  • Switch wheel on (normal balancing, upright, etc.), then start the app.
  • After you start the app, select the wheel from the list of your Bluetooth devices to get the app to connect. It's going to be something like "GotWay_12345".
  • Then in the middle tab (select at the bottom of the screen), the last/lowest menu option is "language".

image.thumb.png.a594039da64ab3786527542aaee972d2.png

This app is actually the easiest to use/not accidentally mis-use, so try it (I don't trust these slider type settings - the old app has a list of tiltback options to choose from).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yes.

The behavior is totally normal, you just have tiltback set to 25kph. And can't change it, apparently.

Cool, I just learned that Wheellog can change settings now!

Btw the wheel beeps twice when it receives a command to set a setting.

  • Switch wheel on (normal balancing, upright, etc.), then start the app.
  • After you start the app, select the wheel from the list of your Bluetooth devices to get the app to connect. It's going to be something like "GotWay_12345".
  • Then in the middle tab (select at the bottom of the screen), the last/lowest menu option is "language".

image.thumb.png.a594039da64ab3786527542aaee972d2.png

This app is actually the easiest to use/not accidentally mis-use, so try it (I don't trust these slider type settings - the old app has a list of tiltback options to choose from).

So I was able to install the gotway 1.0 on an older android phone and connect to the wheel. However, even with a "send successful" message on the app and the double beeps confirming the wheel received the tiltback settings, it still alarms/cuts out at 25kph. 

I guess I'll try a power cycle and see if that works? I wonder if reflashing the firmware or something could help. Other than that, it probably sounds like a board replacement unfortunately.

 

Edited by Super B
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Super B said:

So I was able to install the gotway 1.0 on an older android phone and connect to the wheel. However, even with a "send successful" message on the app and the double beeps confirming the wheel received the tiltback settings, it still alarms/cuts out at 25kph.

Can't explain why it doesn't work.

To be sure, disable the 1st/2nd alarm too. But if it speeds up like crazy at 25kph, that's a tiltback there.

26 minutes ago, Super B said:

I guess I'll try a power cycle and see if that works?

I don't think it will do anything, but it costs nothing (except time and nerves) to try.

You can try a calibration, too. Not sure why it should help, but... well.

30 minutes ago, Super B said:

Other than that, it probably sounds like a board replacement unfortunately.

I guess.

Ask the seller if they could ever change settings. It would be extra strange if they could and you could not, but at this point who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Can't explain why it doesn't work.

To be sure, disable the 1st/2nd alarm too. But if it speeds up like crazy at 25kph, that's a tiltback there.

I don't think it will do anything, but it costs nothing (except time and nerves) to try.

You can try a calibration, too. Not sure why it should help, but... well.

I guess.

Ask the seller if they could ever change settings. It would be extra strange if they could and you could not, but at this point who knows.

Thanks again for your time! I'll post again if I can find a solution or a work around! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

@Michael TuckerDid you manage to sort out your Mten resetting the ride mode?

I've just bought my new Mten and it's only 2 days old but it seems to default to the medium riding mode sometimes (not always) although I prefer the hard setting.

I'm using just the EUC world app and it still says that it is in hard mode even though the wheel feels to be in medium mode.

Na, it was so long ago. I didn't even understand these wheels very well. I thought that it was somehow my fault that I was just not "saving" the setting correctly so I just ignored rider settings. Gotway does so many weird things with their secret software. Because they include quiet upgrades and changes to each new batch of wheels they produce, I'm not even sure that what would have worked for me a few years ago would work for you now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Na, it was so long ago. I didn't even understand these wheels very well. I thought that it was somehow my fault that I was just not "saving" the setting correctly so I just ignored rider settings. Gotway does so many weird things with their secret software. Because they include quiet upgrades and changes to each new batch of wheels they produce, I'm not even sure that what would have worked for me a few years ago would work for you now.

Thanks, I think I may have cured it now. 

I didn't realise but there is a feature on the Eucworld App to lock the settings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello I guess this is a wheel originally sold in France, where speed is limited to 25 kph by the microcode.

If this is the case you need to find some reseller able to flash a new firmware/microcode or replace the board.

 

Jean-Louis

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...