Did I make a huge mistake?

Leionar27

Hi guys,

I'm asking ur help, my ks 18L was really dirty inside the shell and I decided to clean up a bit.

So I followed this method in this topic

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7401-small-trick-for-cleaning-your-acm/

I attached a soft cloth to the wheel and started to move the wheel with trolley.

A lot of mud and dirt came out the wheel, so it was perfect until cloth started to come off the wheel, and it blocked totally wheel's spin.

But I forced with to move it with trolley cause im stupid, it cuts off 4 times  before I had the presence of mind to shut off manually...

It still turn on when I push power button  but Im a bit afraid to ride it now.

Do u think I damage something and it has more chance to fail me during rides now?

• Like 1

Sorry, I feel responsible for this! I added a big disclaimer to only do this kind of cleaning while the wheel is off.

If your wheel is still working, I think you're safe. The 18(X)L has fuses (I believe) for exactly this kind of situation (blocked tire level of stresses), so if the fuses didn't blow, that's a very good sign. The wheel just told you to stop early enough.

You can do a few pendulums (not too crazy, pendulums put a lot of stress on the wheel, just like 10 seconds) if you want to reassure yourself. If anything were close to failing, it would fail then, and with no crash to you. So you'd know.

But you should be good. Sorry again.

Also, this is what full face helmets are for. EUCs could always have a hardware failure, even if that virtually never happens in real life. The helmet is everyone's insurance for the tiny bit of uncertainty left.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Leionar27 said:

10 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sorry, I feel responsible for this! I added a big disclaimer to only do this kind of cleaning while the wheel is off.

If your wheel is still working, I think you're safe. The 18(X)L has fuses (I believe) for exactly this kind of situation (blocked tire level of stresses), so if the fuses didn't blow, that's a very good sign. The wheel just told you to stop early enough.

You can do a few pendulums (not too crazy, pendulums put a lot of stress on the wheel, just like 10 seconds) if you want to reassure yourself. If anything were close to failing, it would fail then, and with no crash to you. So you'd know.

But you should be good. Sorry again.

Also, this is what full face helmets are for. EUCs could always have a hardware failure, even if that virtually never happens in real life. The helmet is everyone's insurance for the tiny bit of uncertainty left.

Thanls for reply and dont be sorry, fault is mine. I just didnt attach well cloth on wheel...

I will try a few pendulums, thanks for advise

3 hours ago, Leionar27 said:

I just didnt attach well cloth on wheel...

It's not about whether the cloth was attached or not. It could have gotten stuck on some dirt, too.

The point is to never block the tire of a wheel when it's on. Because naturally that might fry the electronics as they try to counteract the blockage.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's not about whether the cloth was attached or not. It could have gotten stuck on some dirt, too.

The point is to never block the tire of a wheel when it's on. Because naturally that might fry the electronics as they try to counteract the blockage.

Yes, ure right.

On 2/19/2021 at 1:46 PM, Leionar27 said:

Thanks for ur reply and welcoming Scottie888.

Thats reassuring, I dont know anything in electronics and I started to read that mosfets ( and fuses ? )can be damaged when u overload a wheel in low speeds.

No worries bud. Just take it as you're Sylvester da puddy tat with nine lives. So far, you've only used up one of em so there's still a few left spare. That said, I would do my best to not repeat them😜

• Like 3