How light could be the S18?

Yellowjacket

It’s almost an axiom that you can’t create a vehicle that’s fast, light and affordable, but can pick two out of three. Riders of EUC’s have mostly chosen fast and affordable. 

But what if we chose fast and light, instead …?

Assuming current technology, it doesn’t seem we could shave much weight off an 84 volt or 100 volt cell array. Same with motors, I’d guess. The new hollow core motors are actually heavier, and have issues. 

The King Song S18 actually grew heavier between prototype and production. Because KS switched down-tubes from aluminum to steel? Increased the type and thickness of plastic housings, claddings, paddings, and inner fenders? Tires are designed to last, as opposed to being light, but most of us accept that trade-off?

Is there weight to be found? Would going to a higher grade of aluminum in the down-tubes save a kilo or so?  How about suspension linkages? Pedal assemblies?  Perhaps battery cases could be designed to do double duty as structure?

If we went looking for every possible gram, it might be fun to see just how light an S18 could be built with the most advanced materials available. That's my fever dream of the day.

Edited by Yellowjacket
  • Like 1

With the usage of carbon fibre & titanium & other such exotica, it can easily shed 10lbs if not more IMO. Only problem's the wheel will cost $10k+ like all the high road/mtbs.

Sadly there's no market for such a machine unless one's willing to pay for all the R&D + prototypes which will then likely approach 6 figures. EUCs are still a cottage industry vs the bikes. Mass market production is the only way for costs to come down & I don't see EUCs becoming mainstream anytime soon.

• Like 1

I think the easiest (engineering) solution to improving EUC weight, generally speaking - is battery technology. The new Tesla batteries 4680, has 380 watt hour/kg, which is a significant improvement over existing batteries (18650 250wh/kg, 21700 300wh/kg).  No idea regarding their availability. 

In 7-10 years the community could have solid state batteries that will improve EUC's weight, power output, charging speed and relative safety (no flammable liquid electrolyte) - all significantly improved

Edited by Ben Hatfield

1 hour ago, Scottie888 said:

With the usage of carbon fibre & titanium & other such exotica, it can easily shed 10lbs if not more IMO. Only problem's the wheel will cost $10k+ like all the high road/mtbs.

Sadly there's no market for such a machine unless one's willing to pay for all the R&D + prototypes which will then likely approach 6 figures. EUCs are still a cottage industry vs the bikes. Mass market production is the only way for costs to come down & I don't see EUCs becoming mainstream anytime soon.

Not to mention periodic breakdowns to look for stress fractures and after every crash.  MTBs you have the benefit to visually inspect for damage after every crash.  Carbon can fail catastrophically if not inspected for integrity periodically.

• Like 1