Miracle!!!! I cured my sciatica with EUC riding!!!

Paulo Mesquita

8 hours ago, Kekafuch said:

Just feel it coming and going if I sit too long on certain chairs. Using a tightening warming belt also help me lots.

That's exactly what was happening to me for years. Warm helps. 

8 hours ago, Kekafuch said:

Amazingly, I can ride the wheel and I feel nothing. I can squat and touch the pavement while riding! I can ride for 2 hours often and not have issues. But then if I pick the wheel up and extend, I can feel it still can trigger. Weird.

Your muscles' core training is compensating and holding, somehow, the weight of the body on the nerve. That's why my pain went away with the wheel... 

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I had sciatica years ago that was so painful I missed a flight to visit my son. I stretched the pirifirmus muscle 10Xs a day for a month and it has never return.

I still stretch daily as a prophylactic measure as I never want to go through that intense pain again.

Below is a good link that offers some easy stretching exercises. 
https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/sciatica-stretches-exercises-ease-pain-seniors/ 

50962416872_d22e922887_b.jpg

Great. Thanks! 👍👍👍

• Like 2

Just a side note: yoga is a pretty good complement to EUCs, you exercise balance, core muscles, and stretch. It is very approachable for people who aren’t much into sport 👌🏻

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I had sciatica years ago that was so painful I missed a flight to visit my son. I stretched the pirifirmus muscle 10Xs a day for a month and it has never return.

I still stretch daily as a prophylactic measure as I never want to go through that intense pain again.

https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/sciatica-stretches-exercises-ease-pain-seniors/ 

Have anything for a shoulder(EUC injury)?

As to sciatica, I started midfoot strike or toe strike running. Regular running shoes were part of the problem, I now wear Vivo Barefoot shoes exclusively (Ultra 3). They take a little getting used to, but I only have sciatica now when I have to wear "grown-up" shoes. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

Can't speak as an expert for the medical community but IMO (thru extensive experience I might add), shoulder hangs are excellent for rehabilitation & even better for overall shoulder health. Just grab a horizontal bar, spread you arms at least shoulder width, relax arms/shoulders & hang. For as long as you can.

Warning - it might be painful for some initially esp those with pertinent injuries. In that case, use a box or similar & do leg assisted hangs. Give it as much weight & hang as long as it feels safe & bearable. Work your way up to full body weight & increasing hang time.

Do as it as many times spaced out thru out the day as you can. If you do some homework, you'll find it to be a recommended shoulder therapy for general shoulder health.

Goodluck for a speedy recovery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yellowjacket said:

Rotator cuff injury or full blown plate and screws?

Shoulders injuries are haunting. Just when you begin to feel better after an impactful accident the pain returns with a vengeance. Stretching,  weight training and NSAIDs like Ibuprofen help me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Rotator cuff injury or full blown plate and screws?

Shoulders injuries are haunting. Just when you begin to feel better after an impactful accident the pain returns with a vengeance. Stretching,  weight training and NSAIDs like Ibuprofen help me. 

No plates or screws, bursa, & the muscles and ligaments that hold shoulder all together, and it might have made worse  a creeping arthritis. I also was a boy caddy at my home town golf course when I was 12 to 14, sometimes carrying two of those hideously large bags that recreational golfers used back then on that shoulder. Shoulder wasn't great before I fell off my wheel, but much worse since and to this day I don't know if it was direct impact or if I tried to catch myself with my right arm and "sprung" it.

Weight lifting does make it feel better, though it makes a lot of noise for the first few lifts of a set. Nose breakers help the most, and cable flys and medium weight bench press, not going below parallel. I looked at that site you sent for sciatica, Silver… and my routine is similar.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2021 at 2:17 PM, Rehab1 said:

The link is not working, would be interesting to see the exercises.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:21 PM, Yellowjacket said:

Weight lifting does make it feel better, though it makes a lot of noise for the first few lifts of a set

My right shoulder makes noise as well. Sort of a crunching sound when rotating it. The medical term in my case is crepitus where some of the cartilage has worn away and no longer protects the humeral head from friction. There is a plethora of exercises on youtube for shoulder issues. Best to keep staying active and use anti inflammatory meds if your stomach tolerates them. Always eat first. 

• Like 1

Crepitus? In my case, it might be decrepitus. (smile)

I think I have adhesions in that complex of tendons and muscle. The noise is from tearing them apart, and tht's why I'm better after the weight room. A nephrologist told me NSAIDS are prohibited for me. My kidneys are fine, so I don't know if that was related to worries about COVID and inflammation or what. I should revisit with him. Voltarin works well, as well as Rub535 from Canada, but I can't get there from here.

I took the advice of Scottie888 and started some shoulder hangs, as well as a couple of exercises from your Silversneakers. I think they are working.

• Like 1

I have a dislocated vertebra in my lower back, most likely from birth. It has never given me much trouble, but from time to time there were episodes, some days or weeks where it hurt a little. That has also completely stopped since I started riding EUCs.

Of course there was that incident where a dirt road I was riding ended in a dead end and i had to trolley and carry my V10F across 200m of half frozen, half muddy freshly ploughed fields and pulled a muscle in my back so badly I could barely walk for three days but that is a different matter ...

Edited by mhpr262

I started riding EUC's about the time I was getting foot pain (plantar fasciitis) , and it helped greatly in my ~1 year recovery, keeping my feet off the pavement.

BE CAREFUL though, I have had some minor calf strain after long rides, if my foot position is not good or I otherwise have not exercised much .

Some lunges or stretching may still be required. 

And yes, doing lots of turns left and right DOES help with back and waist. 

Ride safely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 8:34 PM, Paulo Mesquita said:

Guys, it's true! I'm 61 years old, I have 16 days of EUC practice (WITH AN EXTRAORDINARILY GREAT HELP FROM A FEW FRIENDS HERE AT THE FORUM)...and by driving...just 16 times with my KS 16X...my ten year and daily pain sciatica is totally gone!!!

So there you go! Tell your friends with sciatica to buy EUC's, get rolling... and get cured! No pills, no doctors...just wheels!!!!

Yes I have had huge benefits for Sciatica too. The posture you have to take (straight back, bent knees) and the strength you have to build in various parts of the legs or core are hugely beneficial - has many parallels with the daily routines my physio gets me to do to keep the pain under control, or Alexander technique.

My routine evolved to do 20 mins of floor exercises in every morning - part space building in the discs, bit much leg and torso strength building routines. And in the evening its 20 mins EUC ride each day (it tends to be hard to motivate yourself for floor exercises later in day, but not for a EUC ride).

No accident it helped, and if you have Sciatica is a real alternative to cycling which creates torsion in the back so therefore doesn't always help. there are a handful of things that make a real difference (someone mentioned Skiing, not surprisingly similar posture and strength building that helps too). 

So yes EUCs have medical benefits.     

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 7:20 AM, Yellowjacket said:

...started some shoulder hangs, as well as a couple of exercises from your Silversneakers. I think they are working.

Awesome! Very glad to hear that!! You'd be pleasantly surprised how you shoulders will progress as you do more hangs. Its one of easiest but most beneficial exercises/stretches one can do for overall shoulder health. Keep it up bud

On 2/26/2021 at 6:01 PM, GothamMike said:

My lower back is sore after long rides.

That's a sign of a less than optimum core. If there's no equipment available, try doing sets of burpees. If possible & can afford a kettlebell (or 2) start with swings & goblet squats. In due course, that should firm up the abs & posterior chain. The benefits are much more than just not having a sore lower back.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 10:59 PM, Scottie888 said:

Awesome! Very glad to hear that!! You'd be pleasantly surprised how you shoulders will progress as you do more hangs. Its one of easiest but most beneficial exercises/stretches one can do for overall shoulder health. Keep it up bud.

Okay, this is amazing. I took Scottie888’s advice about hangs, and then went to an acupuncturist/ massage therapist who put cups on my back and told me to drop my shoulders. I was wondering if surgery was my only (dreaded) option.

A week ago I was putting away dishes, and reaching outward while rolling my wrist from palm down to palm up.

“POP!”

Loud noise and pain that brought out a few words that I reserve for special occasions. I thought I’d really hurt myself. I contacted a PT, who suggested a surgeon/ orthopod.

But the next day, I was better, and have been getting better every day. My shoulder now is literally the best it’s been in the year and a half since I fell off my wheel. I think the “Pop!” was the bicep tendon snapping back into the groove where it belongs at the front of my shoulder.

Still makes noise when I lift weights, but I can live with that. Thanks, Scottie888. Why do you know this stuff, BTW?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yellowjacket said:

Okay, this is amazing. I took Scottie888’s advice about hangs, and then went to an acupuncturist/ massage therapist who put cups on my back and told me to drop my shoulders. I was wondering if surgery was my only (dreaded) option.

A week ago I was putting away dishes, and reaching outward while rolling my wrist from palm down to palm up.

“POP!”

Loud noise and pain that brought out a few words that I reserve for special occasions. I thought I’d really hurt myself. I contacted a PT, who suggested a surgeon/ orthopod.

But the next day, I was better, and have been getting better every day. My shoulder now is literally the best it’s been in the year and a half since I fell off my wheel. I think the “Pop!” was the bicep tendon snapping back into the groove where it belongs at the front of my shoulder.

Still makes noise when I lift weights, but I can live with that. Thanks, Scottie888. Why do you know this stuff, BTW?

So happy for you to hear hanging out is working out (hey I just came with a rhyme😋)!!!

As for hows & whys, you mighta guessed that I ain't no spring chicken but instead more like Wile E Coyote that's been around the block more than once with a lot mileage under the belt. I'm an ex life long motorcyclist & even raced motorcycle club series (Yammie FZR400) for a few years (where I learnt more in a few races than I ever did in my entire life casual road riding & even saved my skin on a number of occasions besides having a blast).

Along the way, I picked up a separated shoulder, ankle fracture, bum knee & other miscellaneous so make a long story short, I started working out & also reading material pertaining to alleviating injuries. I read about shoulder hangs & after spending time with it, I find that its a great shoulder stretch & relaxation if nothing else. Ofcos my shoulders never gave me any problems either.

I very happy for you that it works. Just keep doing it as many times a day as you want. Remember not to force anything that can cause injuries as all. 

Happy Hangin'🤩

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, Kekafuch said:

Amazingly, I can ride the wheel and I feel nothing. I can squat and touch the pavement while riding! I can ride for 2 hours often and not have issues. But then if I pick the wheel up and extend, I can feel it still can trigger. Weird.

I think it's because when we're riding all the micro movements we do with our muscles "compensate" the sciatica nerve effort. What I mean is that the muscles around it take over to deal with the effort. At least that's what I feel happens...

One thing that I know that is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT is to stretch calmly and for about 10 to 15 minutes after riding a lot. I'm currently riding almost daily and in an average of 30kms on a mix Portuguese good and lousy roads. So if I don't stretch I won't be in shape the next day and the sciatica pain might kick in....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Terra Leone said:

I’ve had a pinched nerve in my hip for the last 2 weeks and I haven’t ridden in a while. I did a leisurely one hour ride on my King Song today and hip feels perfect fine! 

Yep. The waist movement strengthens the muscles and relieves the nerves💪💪💪💪

• Like 1