Best Travel Unicycle

alexbot

I recently got a 12 inch ips (130WH) that I really like for small trips or when I know I will have to carry my EUC inside somewhere. What are some other compact and lightweight eucs that would be good for traveling? Lets stick to whatever the airline limit is supposed to be for battery, which i believe to be 130WH.

The 12 inch ips it is the A130 also sold as 113 it is a cheap and fun unicycle, but it is extremely under powered.

The battery pack it  is around 130Wh, and it has about half the power of an Airwheel Q3 or X8.

I have seen this IPS advertised as a 450W motor and as a 650W at iamips.com, but if the airwheel is officially  800W it is impossible for it to be 650W unless if they are advertising peek power instead of rated power, since most people think the airwheel is around 600W this ips it is probably like  300W.

The good it is good for learning, it is most likely OK at airlines, and if you get 2 of them you can build a hover board, it is great for fun, but useless for commuting or traveling, the small wheel requires good roads, not good for bad roads.

The problem is that any electric unicycle that qualifies for flying will not be good for traveling due to the lack of power and battery size.

The X8 which is fairly light and has a small battery, does not qualify for flying since for that purpose it is too heavy and the battery pack is too big, if the X8 which is a mid power unicycle does not qualify, the ones that qualify  will have a tiny motor since the motor weights a lot, and a larger motor needs a good battery pack.

1 hour ago, alexbot said:

I recently got a 12 inch ips (130WH) that I really like for small trips or when I know I will have to carry my EUC inside somewhere. What are some other compact and lightweight eucs that would be good for traveling? Lets stick to whatever the airline limit is supposed to be for battery, which i believe to be 130WH.

You will see tons of opinions in this thread which will be outside of the intent of you inquiry, unless you define the parameters better. You should clarify what you mean by travel? I feel you are asking about lightweight and those with small battery so you can take it on a plane and ise it for quick errands rather than comfortable for long commuting.

Yes, currently its 160Wh limit when traveling by air. Although the airlines themselves can set their own rules. it will be hard now to get your EU on a plane due to those hoverboards. Please post if your able to board a plane with your EU from now on. I'm sure there will be a mixed response.

9 hours ago, checho said:

The 12 inch ips it is the A130 also sold as 113 it is a cheap and fun unicycle, but it is extremely under powered.

The battery pack it  is around 130Wh, and it has about half the power of an Airwheel Q3 or X8.

I have seen this IPS advertised as a 450W motor and as a 650W at iamips.com, but if the airwheel is officially  800W it is impossible for it to be 650W unless if they are advertising peek power instead of rated power, since most people think the airwheel is around 600W this ips it is probably like  300W.

The good it is good for learning, it is most likely OK at airlines, and if you get 2 of them you can build a hover board, it is great for fun, but useless for commuting or traveling, the small wheel requires good roads, not good for bad roads.

The problem is that any electric unicycle that qualifies for flying will not be good for traveling due to the lack of power and battery size.

The X8 which is fairly light and has a small battery, does not qualify for flying since for that purpose it is too heavy and the battery pack is too big, if the X8 which is a mid power unicycle does not qualify, the ones that qualify  will have a tiny motor since the motor weights a lot, and a larger motor needs a good battery pack.

My main wheel is a bit bigger, I mainly got the 12 inch for fun. It took a while to feel comfortable on, because of the size, but I feel that it has made me a much better EUCist overall as it forces proper technique. I am relatively light -160lbs, so I dont feel the motor struggling much, only over steep ramps and such. 

Unfortunately, when picking  a travel EUC, we are stuck with the airline battery requirements so it will ultimately be a less powerful machine. 

10 hours ago, Cloud said:

You will see tons of opinions in this thread which will be outside of the intent of you inquiry, unless you define the parameters better. You should clarify what you mean by travel? I feel you are asking about lightweight and those with small battery so you can take it on a plane and ise it for quick errands rather than comfortable for long commuting.

Exactly! I am asking about lightweight units that have batteries around 160WH or less. Ideally, it would also be inexpensive as its a secondary wheel. 

4 hours ago, Gimlet said:

The new uniwheel looks like it may be promising as it seems to be designed precisely for this scenario but it is fairly expensive and not on general release or tested yet.

This looks perfect, but probably a bit expensive as a second wheel. Is the weight of the uniwheel listed yet?

Hi 

I own an Ips zero 130wh. I have ?on it aprox 300KM in the past couple of months. According to SAS I had it 1 time around the globe ? :) 

It weights with protective rubber on, aprox 9.8kg ( including the dirt in it) this are the pros and cons:

- pro: weight and looks ( everyone ask me if is a vacuum cleaner) so it's safe for flight

- pro: top speed 30kph, good average 24kph. 

-pro/ con:  în good weather conditions it runs 7km straight in cold weather in rounds of 4km since the voltage drop . Brakes of max 10min needed for voltage to come back up 

-pro: charging time 1 hour, charger weights 50 grams

- price: cheap depending on vat and transport

- batteries are close to shell and displayed in series. It means that through the scanner in the airport security it shows as batteries cells wrapped separated and shows with blue (good thing- Orange illegal/ dangerous  and needs to be seen/ checked: Good luck with orange) also the airport security will stop you and not the airline - because are so many ways to cover it  

- pro: perfect ⚡ modes and brakes lights can't be turned off. Whatever the light mood you choose if stopping it will show the battery level: full green, half green, half orange or a quarter orange and red: you walk

- when running out of battery the wheel will tilt pedals so high that you will slide off. It also drops the speed gradually to a full stop. 

- pro: 14" wheel so it's perfect for city ( construction, cubic stone, potholes- a bit of practice ahead required, cement platforms and grovel) there is no environment I didn't try. For woods is good as long as you can keep it under you over branches and roots- with practice

- con: It fails miserably in deep sand since the skirt/shell is low and it sinks. But was expected 

- pro: low shell, it gives rides free of splashes and it's high enough to allow sharp corners

- con: accelaration must be done gentle and not sprinting fI'll power : you over lean, and the wheel can't produce the power to catch up = face plant ? +? this is specially true with half batery or uphill. You get used to feel it. 

- con: battery: drains fast in high slopes/ uphills and high speed. Faster you go, faster the battery voltage drops. You need the charger with you. Stavanger as city is a battery killer. Max 5 km there with short stops. At trafic lights you will see that the battery voltage grows quite fast and you will love the traffic lights on long runs around the city 

- con: the phone app, is hard to get for Android : we can give it to you upon request. It needs to be reconnected automatically when the unit powers off. Every god damn time: so I don't use it frequently. 

- you have 2 riding modes: sport- good for uphill and super sharp corners and saves a lot of battery. Comfort : great for flat terrain or cubic stone or parks 

This is my feedback after 300 km on it. 

You don't feel the nice and powerful accelaration of a ninebot but that is expected from this size and weight. 

I love it and for my trips is the perfect fit. But for the city of Copenhagen I need to get one with a proper battery size and that would be all to get. 

1 hour ago, Paul Panait said:

you have 2 riding modes: sport- good for uphill and super sharp corners and saves a lot of battery. Comfort : great for flat terrain or cubic stone or parks

I would have expected that the sports mode is more aggressive and producing higher currents and is hence tougher on the battery. Any thoughts? 

2 hours ago, Niko said:

I would have expected that the sports mode is more aggressive and producing higher currents and is hence tougher on the battery. Any thoughts? 

That's what I have also thought at the beggining but same as when you have the tires with less air it takes more energy to go ahead. Also it's tougher so it requests less resistance. It's tested :) 

11 minutes ago, Paul Panait said:

That's what I have also thought at the beggining but same as when you have the tires with less air it takes more energy to go ahead.

I don't see that it is the same as with a less inflated tire: I can well understand where the energy gets lost with a less inflated tire, but I can only see energy gains with a less aggressive riding mode, unless the rider behaves significantly differently. 

Also it's tougher so it requests less resistance.

I don't understand what you want to say (EDIT: neither what "it" refers to, nor how resistance can be requested).

It's tested :) 

More specifically? 

Let me rephrase: 

The sport mode makes the wheel to act more as a fix unit so it gives less balance and faster reaction on the commands. 

The comfort mode makes the unit to respond slower to the comanda and give the feel that is softer on corners and on acceleration. 

The difference that you feel in between the modes it actually feels like having more, respectively  less air in the tires of your bike. 

If you try to go uphill with the sport mode, you will make it all the way to the top with no problems, while trying to do the same with the Comfort mode on, you will notice that the engine will require more power will struggle all the way there and the battery will drain faster. 

Also if you will look on the app while riding , you will see that the battery level drops significantly faster in comfort mode than in sport mode when used uphill. 

That's how I tested it. Took the same long hill upwards on the same day with battery fully charged. With comfort mode I made it to the top and had no battery left. The wheel struggled all the way. After 5 min brake the wheel continued as normal. 

În sport mode I still had 40% battery left when I was at the top and the wheel showed no problems on keeping up. 

Archived