Thinking of the Tesla v2, but looking for similar options to consider

Hi all! I've been having a lot of fun talking to folks about their wheels and researching potential wheels as my first major EUC purchase after my training Ninebot One E+.  I had intended to make a wheel purchase in the spring when the weather gets better but on a family ride yesterday, my daughter moved ahead on her OneWheel at around 15MPH, and my E+ didn't like it when I tried to push it beyond 12MPH to keep up. Time to get off this training wheel.

I had some great discussions and I really like the KS18XL for what it offers as a great all-rounder wheel that's stable and refined, which is the kind of EUC riding experience I'm looking for. However, I'm running into something I'm calling the "2k dilemma" where there are so many good wheels to consider that all fall in that ~2k price that I don't think I'm ready to make THAT purchase yet. 

So right now I'm looking to get my commuter wheel, i.e. one that I'd use to take from home, to the train station to take on the train, then go from the station to the company building, and back again. Also something to just keep in the car for family vacations to cruise around on site.

As a rider, I'm 6'1", and 225 lbs, more like 260 lbs probably after gear and a backpack of things.

I'm looking for something...

• Less than 50 lbs. to carry around
  • Can cruise at around ~20 mph
  • Decent amount of torque for moderate inclines on paved roads
  • I'd be happy with around 30 miles range
  • under that 2k dilemma price

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, there aren't a lot of wheels for this, the only two I saw offhand were the Gotway Tesla v2, and the Inmotion v10F. I'm leaning towards the Tesla v2 for the performance. I saw the Tesla v3 (or T3) was announced and I actually prefer the v2 based on the paper stats.

Any happy Tesla v2 owners out there who can confirm the "on paper" value of this wheel as a commuter?

Any previous Tesla v2 Owners unhappy with the wheel and suggest a different wheel for my situation?

I got questions for potentially putting a slightly wider tire on a Tesla v2, but I'll save that for the Tire forum.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by TheSlyGiraffEV
Miscalled Tesla v2 when I meant to say Tesla v3

I do like the speed, and weight of the MCM5v2! I am a little worried about getting a 14" wheel at my size and height, plus bumping close to the on paper weight of ~260 lbs. I will keep it in consideration though. I have been thinking of a wheel that I could have my daughter learn to ride too, and was thinking MTen3 for her, but maybe the MCM5v2 would be a wheel we both could ride.

Thanks! I’ll add the KS16s in consideration! While it doesn’t have the specs of the Tesla v2, it is $100 cheaper and a few pounds lighter to carry around which is pretty appealing for portability. It also has the KingSong refined style to it.

I have a Tesla v2 1480 with close 900km on it & IMHO, it should have no issues hauling you weight around. So long as you're not gonna be doing hardcore offroad trails nor any skatepark type shennigans (its 2.125" tires isn't the best for big jumps), its a good commuter. Not too heavy & is nimble as well.

IMO the MCM5v2 should also be able to handle your weight too. I love its quick handling & the 2.5" tire makes its feel like a much bigger wheel than it is. It also accelerates to speed very promptly. Its easy to ride & I like it alot so much so if I don't need range, I usually take the MCM5. Great for commuting & even better as a skatepark toy. Not bad offroad as well. I really recco this wheel for a beginner or even as 2nd wheel for vets.

Far's the Mten3 goes, its a very specialized wheel & unless you have a need for a last mile commuter & or a toy to play round with, its better to skip it for now. Your Ninebot E+ should do fine for your daughter. If she outgrows it, then likely the Mten3 won't satisfy her either. 

• Like 1

I have a Tesla V2 and have been very happy with it. I think you would be very happy with the needs you described. You should have no problem running 20+ MPH on it. I think it has plenty of torque for daily riding. It's lacking in the lights department. The front headlight is just ok and there is no tail light. I'm sure you could add one if you think night riding will be an issue. 

• Like 1

I have the MCM5v2 and really enjoy it, but for me, it feels more like an overgrown Mten3 which isn't a bad thing, it strikes me more as a toy than a commuter type wheel, power wise, it'll pull your weight with no problem.  I'm wanting to try the V2 Tesla as well but I really don't need another wheel, I too like the specs of the V2 vs the upcoming V3.  It would be nice if Kingsong offered a version of the 16x with an 1100wh battery for $1495 but that won't happen, the 16x is a fantastic wheel.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to sleep on the decision between the Tesla v2 and MCM5v2 tonight. Both wheels look pretty good. It's actually easier for me to decide to buy two separate wheels for my daughter and I than it is to buy a 2k wheel for just myself (that'll come later...or I may get the Sherman), so even if I do end up buying the Tesla now, I may end up getting the MCM5v2 down the road instead of the Mten3, so that may all work out.

Edited by TheSlyGiraffEV
  • Like 1

Buy the Tesla II, I’ve owned over a dozen wheels and this is still one of my favorites, the speed to weight ratio is unbeatable. It’s perfect to run errands on too. I actually like the thin tire, as it’s like a fast road bike with a small low drag footprint.

Edited by Mrd777
  • Like 3

I have the 1500Wh 'custom' version of the Tesla V2, and love it. I will add that I've never ridden anything else, so can't compare, but I learned on the Tesla and enjoy the acceleration, manoeuvrability, and range. I'm a pretty light rider (probably around 150lb with all my winter gear on) and I get close to 100km (~60mi) out of a charge, even in winter in our hilly terrain. I haven't had it long enough to know if the range will increase in summer; it doesn't get that cold here (usually ~2-8'C or about 35-45'F when I'm out riding). They were available for about US$1100 when I got mine; I didn't see anything else at the time that even came close in specs for the price, and haven't seen anything since that made me regret it. Most of my riding is paved trails but it does fine on gravel and light trails too. I'm cautious about looking for potholes etc. but the 16" wheel does fine on anything that I might miss; I've never had a crash other than when stopping/starting while I was learning. It rains a lot here so I throw a cover on when it's raining, but haven't had any issues riding on wet roads and through the occasional puddle. No regrets here at all.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I ended up ordering the Tesla V2. Looking forward to my next wheel! Been keeping up on some YouTube videos regarding a 2.4 inch knobby tire swap in hopes of riding this wheel with a little wider tire. If it seems to turn out well, I may make that change myself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the V2?  After reading this thread and then watching Marty's video on the knobby tire swap, I've been tossing around the idea of trying the T-V2, I certainly don't need another wheel but it looks like it might fit in the line-up, especially if I go with the knobby tire.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

Any updates on the V2?  After reading this thread and then watching Marty's video on the knobby tire swap, I've been tossing around the idea of trying the T-V2, I certainly don't need another wheel but it looks like it might fit in the line-up, especially if I go with the knobby tire.

Might I inquire why are you considering a Tesla v2? Being an owner with 800kms on it, I can honestly say that IMO, the Tesla2 is a road wheel meant for devouring asphalt (hopefully smooth) easily. I too watched Marty's vid on the knobby swap & indeed, I might consider it although I can't help asking myself why.

The Tesla is whichever iteration is not an offroad wheel due to its lowish pedals & similarly lowish shell clearance. I can certainly understand the need for allrounder options if it were my only ride but otherwise, it should be enjoyed for what it is, an asphalt city commuter par excellence & in my particular (& Marty's) Tesla v2 1480wh, the best bang for the buck wheel as well. I tried with all my might last year to turn it into a semi offroad machine & while it does ok, I understood that isn't its forte.

IMO your (&mine) MCM5v2 is a much better offroad allround ride than the Tesla will ever be. Better with more knobby tire choices, lighter weight, higher pedals & shell clearance just makes it so. Its acceleration & hill climb torque is a surprising bonus as well. 

Don't get me wrong as I'm not discouraging you if feel the need for another wheel as god knows this frickin addicting this hobby is. But your stable already has the road mileage comfort wheel covered with the Sherm & Nik so IMHO, an additional Tesla would seem to be redundant.

If offroad is the main squeeze here, then either the S18 or V11 would seem to be the better choices no?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

Might I inquire why are you considering a Tesla v2? Being an owner with 800kms on it, I can honestly say that IMO, the Tesla2 is a road wheel meant for devouring asphalt (hopefully smooth) easily. I too watched Marty's vid on the knobby swap & indeed, I might consider it although I can't help asking myself why.

The Tesla is whichever iteration is not an offroad wheel due to its lowish pedals & similarly lowish shell clearance. I can certainly understand the need for allrounder options if it were my only ride but otherwise, it should be enjoyed for what it is, an asphalt city commuter par excellence & in my particular (& Marty's) Tesla v2 1480wh, the best bang for the buck wheel as well. I tried with all my might last year to turn it into a semi offroad machine & while it does ok, I understood that isn't its forte.

IMO your (&mine) MCM5v2 is a much better offroad allround ride than the Tesla will ever be. Better with more knobby tire choices, lighter weight, higher pedals & shell clearance just makes it so. Its acceleration & hill climb torque is a surprising bonus as well. 

Don't get me wrong as I'm not discouraging you if feel the need for another wheel as god knows this frickin addicting this hobby is. But your stable already has the road mileage comfort wheel covered with the Sherm & Nik so IMHO, an additional Tesla would seem to be redundant.

If offroad is the main squeeze here, then either the S18 or V11 would seem to be the better choices no?

Understood and agree, I'm not looking for so much off road capability but "yard" duty is my thing, I ride more in my yard than anywhere, I think you're right, maybe outfit the MCM5 with a knobby and be done with it, see there, you just saved me $$:)  Drinks are on me if you ever head south!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

Understood and agree, I'm not looking for so much off road capability but "yard" duty is my thing, I ride more in my yard than anywhere, I think you're right, maybe outfit the MCM5 with a knobby and be done with it, see there, you just saved me $$:)  Drinks are on me if you ever head south!

Deal! One of these days I'm make the hike to Elvis country to visit the King. If you ever hoof it up north (way way north), beer's on me as well. Canada ain't bad at all🤠

Sidenote: You must have a rather decent size property to be able to be able ride in the yard! 

• Like 1

Hey Retro and Scottie!

The Tesla has been pretty good so far as my lighter commuter wheel. In many cases, it was nice coming from the trainer Ninebot One E+ because there are numerous upgrades, the easiest to reference are the increased speed and range (without adding too much weight to carry around), but funny enough, despite the Tesla being known as having a lower pedal clearance than most wheels, it’s actually higher than on the Ninebot, so I’m getting far less pedal scrapes on my turns than before. It is taking a while to get used to the box like width of the Tesla between the calves, plus the angled pedals, particularly on my free mount, but I get a little more consistent each time. Sometimes my knees feel like they are being twisted a bit off, so I just have to watch it a bit.

I did pick up the knobby tire on Amazon but will hold off on installing it just yet. I wanted to get a good feel for the wheel as is at first before going with the 2.4 inch wide tire. Honestly, I wanted it mostly for the wider tire width, and if there were a 2.4 wide but road style tire, I would have preferred that instead. Still, I may want to try the tire just to get that Sherman like sound on it just for fun. It doesn’t seem to be a big deal to switch tires back and forth on the Tesla with the help of Marty’s video, so I can go with either. What’s nice is that I don’t need to change the tube for these two particular tires.

I have the Neoprene cover on my Tesla, which has already prevented some scratches on a couple of mild falls. I did see someone on the FB Gotway Group put the mini Clark pads on his Tesla v2, and they look interesting, but I want to get more miles and months in before I consider getting them. If I do pick them up though, I’ll chime back in on this thread.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

I did see someone on the FB Gotway Group put the mini Clark pads on his Tesla v2, and they look interesting, but I want to get more miles and months in before I consider getting them. If I do pick them up though, I’ll chime back in on this thread.

Good you're enjoying your Tesla. Its a very nice wheel indeed & I've had no issues with mine so far. Since you the tire, it certainly wouldn't hurt to slap it on & give it a twirl. Personally I found there's a significant difference in the handling of a 2.125" vs 2.5" tire. Also the knobby will be louder which itself a nice safety feature.

I've seen the mini Clark pads & they look nice. I'm planning to diy my own pads for the Tesla (& a coupla others) using yoga blocks. You might wanna give it a shot as yoga blocks are cheap enough to write off even if it don't work. The 9"x6"x3"/4" fits the Tesla side panels perfectly. Below's a vid on how to

• Like 2

Thanks for the vid! This looks pretty straightforward, and if those yoga blocks are indeed cheap, seems like it’s worth a shot. If I had pads like that properly in place, it would help a lot with consistency, amidst the other advantages these pads would grant.

3 hours ago, TheSlyGiraffEV said:

Thanks for the vid! This looks pretty straightforward, and if those yoga blocks are indeed cheap, seems like it’s worth a shot. If I had pads like that properly in place, it would help a lot with consistency, amidst the other advantages these pads would grant.

No worries, glad to be of help. I think the yoga blocks can be had for $12-13 so one can even afford to screw up. Just make sure you use velcro instead of adhesive tape & you can easily adjust to fit. At the very least, they'll make decent jump pads if you place it strategically over the mid - forefoot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw an update on this. Been trying longer and longer rides to range test and to update my endurance for sustained traveling. Finished up a 30 mile ride today with about 10% battery left. I am exhausted! I figure I’ll have to be pretty good with these rides before I think about 50-70 mile range wheels haha! Towards the end of the ride I was carving almost instinctually, a far cry from my normal stiff beginner riding.

I’m lookin to get a MMG 2.5 inch road tire installed next week or so, which looks like it can fit within the shell. Will ping the thread to let you all know how it turns out. Honestly, I wish Gotway made the T3 with the 1500 Wh battery and the 2.5” wheel, and a tail light and called it a day. That’s a pretty good combo that I’m just calling the “Tesla v2.5”. I wish that 1500 Wh Tv2 was more available with US retailers.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to chime in here since it's been nearly a year since I bought the Tesla v2 from eWheels. I did end up putting that MMG 2.5" wide tire on there and aside from a few tire scrapes now and then (I call them the Tesla farts) stability is improved quite a bit and I love the ridefeel. Despite having my Nikola+ AR, which I take along on group rides, long solo rides, and light trail riding, I reach for the old Tesla 2 for trips to the store or family group rides, or just zipping around town.

In hindsight, I'm really glad I ended up buying this T2, because despite the added tail light and bigger battery of the updated T3, I prefer the low weight and light wheel ride feel of the T2. My daughter rides a MCM5V2 and while I can ride that wheel fairly well, it just doesn't have the same stability at just higher speeds (25-30 mph) that my T2 does. Or have the same quality in wheel speaker. It reminds me of why I fell in love with EUC riding...the feeling of gliding along scenery with barely nothing under your feet. Plus it's a whole lot easier lugging it up stairs and throwing in the trunk than my Nik+AR, which I prefer more to ride than carry.

Ultimately, I may decide I want faster speeds and higher battery and move on from my Nik+ AR to something like a Sherman Max, Commander, Master...maybe MPro. But for lighter wheel fare, there's no moving on from my Tesla. There just no "upgrade" for this wheel tier right now, nor do I think companies are looking to really update wheels in this weight class.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello, reaching out to see if anyone has a front trim piece for the tesla v2? or if anyone knows where I can get one? thanks