First EUC - V11 - some starting questions

Jerkface

I've been practicing for 2 days now on my new V11, and it seems to be going well.  I'm able to free-start and stop with good reliability, and can do low and moderate (9-12 mph) turns, and just got back from a 5 mile ride.  I do have a few next step questions:

How 'tight' should I be holding the wheel with my lower legs?  It seems like sometimes I want to have good connection with the wheel, and other times I want a bit looser hold (like when I want the wheel to tilt more to carve a turn at moderate speed).  Is there a 'standard' way? (like you should always stay connected?)  or does it depend on what I need at that moment?

When should I increase the tire pressure?  As recommended in a bunch of beginner tutorials, my tire pressure is down to about 25.  Is there a good indicator that I'm ready for full pressure?  Should I slowly go up?

Thanks

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jerkface said:

How 'tight' should I be holding the wheel with my lower legs?

In principle, your legs don't have to touch the wheel at all. You can do everything with your feet via the pedals. Only reason to "grab" the wheel with your legs is when you want to apply hard acceleration e.g. forcing it up a steep hill. Or if that's simply more comfortable for you.

Don't overthink, and trust your intuition on what is comfortable, relaxing, and works for you. There's no right and wrong, just what you like best.

Also, 2 days is nothing. You'll get much better and ride more easily.

28 minutes ago, Jerkface said:

When should I increase the tire pressure?

Just pump it up to full and see how it works for you. If that's too unstable, lower the pressure bit by bit until you like it. If there's no difference, higher pressure is better as it gives you less rolling resistance and the wheel can react more directly. With the suspension, you don't need the lower tire pressure for cushioning like on other wheels.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

Woot congrats @Jerkface!  I just learned on my new V11 as well.  I am nowhere near as good a rider as either of the other guys commenting, but I just had that "clicking" moment, so it is fresh in my head.

As others have said I try to be as loosie goosy as possible with my leg grip except for when I drop off a curb or know a big bump is coming.  It is exhausting keeping a death grip on the machine.

I also grip hard on a fast acceleration or fast stop,  mostly, so I can use my power pads for leverage.  The rest of the time,  I try to keep it as loose as possible.

Tire pressure, I took other's advice and learned with lowish pressure.  After riding for bit and wanting to do some small drops I added pressure to the higher end of the spectrum for these tires, so I don't damage the rim or give myself a pinch flat.

Lower pressure the wheel is more stable and turning is a more deliberate action.  The more pressure you add the less resistance and the wheel really turns with little or no effort.

I see you are in the Seattle area as well!  Cool beans.

• 2 months later...

I’m new to EUCs and I’m learning on an Inmotion V11.

I decided to set all my pressures (tire & suspension) to the recommended amounts (for my weight). I figured this is best so I can minimize having to relearn my V11 all over again if I had to change pressures later. 

How I learned riding while touching a wall for support: 1) Step on & stand up straight 2) Lean forward gently...feel the force. 

Once riding freely, I quickly stopped hand flailing and stopped moving my feet to counter balance as it actually destabilized me. I discovered relaxing my leg muscles helps. No need to grip the wheel too tightly with your shins....feel the force. You are one with the force. Stand up straight. Lean forward. 

PS - I always practice in full safety gear & 99% battery charge to avoid cutoffs & unnecessary injury.