Inmotion V11 Carbon

IamIan

Just a thread / home for the idea / concept.

- - - - - - -

My back of napkin guesstimate seems to tell me extensive use of carbon fiber like is done on high end bicycles , motorcycle , cars , etc .. might be able to drop the V11 down to around ~45Lbs .. aka ~14.5Lbs lighter.

Like other carbon fiber product , I would expect such a CF EUC to vastly increase the cost .. and .. Like those other CF products , I suspect only a tiny % of the over all EUC market would ever be willing to pay such high costs for such comparatively small gains.

One of the main reasons CF products cost what they do , is that it is still a very human labor intensive fabrication system .. Both in designing fiber orientation for loads and for all the steps in assembly .. some of that labor can be outsourced of course to lower labor costing workers , but some does require knowledge and skill .. but .. like any high labor cost thing .. DIY allows one to trade 'sweat' equity to reduce the out of pocket dollar cost .. but .. DIY products/projects quality varies enormously .. From the dangerously unsafe low quality , all the way up to state of the art top of the line best possible quality.

- - - - -

Part of this will include understanding each of the parts of a V11 .. to better estimate method of fabrication for that part , and potential benefit of CF to that part.

Starting off with 59.5Lbs (27.05kg) for the whole EUC

We know it has 80 of the 21700 cells , which usually average ~70g each .. for about ~12.32Lbs (5.6kg) in cells alone.

Duff had reported he though the V11 Motor assembly was around ~25Lbs (11.36kg)

Will have to add more measurements as they become available .. So far , this only accounts for about ~37.32 Lbs out of ~59.5Lbs.

OEM Foam Seat 444g

MartySeatMethod Leather 28g + Bicycle Riser Spring 326g + 3TrimmedHoseClamps (19gx3) + ComfySeat 746g = ~1.157 kg

Inmotion OEM Pedals (all parts included) 584g each x2 = 1.168 kg

Inmotion optional HoneyComb Pedals (all parts included) 551g each x2 = 1.102kg .. also slightly less angled up, more parallel to road.

OEM Foam Power Pads 277g each x2 = 554g

That yet undocumented ~22.18Lbs (10.08kg) includes , electronics , lights , speaker , wires , plastic shells , Aluminum Frame , suspension itself , Tire.

- - - - - - -

I've seen all solid Aluminum (not EUC) wheels for similar 18x3 tires around ~20Lbs , and this one adds the motor magnets , coils , etc .. soo, ~25Lbs seems to be at least in the right 'ballpark' .. the Aluminum of the V11 wheel assembly can be one of the parts to go to CF .. They do make carbon fiber bicycle , motorcycle , car wheels .. back of napkin guesstimate compared to other Aluminum to CF wheels .. at Roughly similar to OEM strength but CF , might reduce the wheel assembly itself about ~8Lbs.

CF won't do much of anything to the weight of the electronics , light , speaker , wiring.

All the other remaining plastic and Aluminum bits combined .. converted to CF of similar to OEM strength , might see another ~6.5Lbs.

At least that is my back of napkin guesstimate so far.

Edited by IamIan
add power pad weight
  • Like 1

I foresee the extensive use of Carbon Fiber like composite materials to reduce V11 weight probably can be boiled down to paths / directions:

Option #1> Get the same from a lighter device.

Just about every use of more exotic materials like carbon fiber composites is to just reduce device weight of a given strength / durability / etc.

High end ultra light camping gear , high end bicycles , high end race cars , etc.

Along those lines a V11 that is otherwise the same as OEM in performance but only a total of ~45Lbs could be desirable to some people.

Option #2> Get more from the same weight device.

Instead of leaving it at the ~45Lbs .. one could recycle that weight back into the device .. more powerful motor and/or more batteries for the same OEM Weight.

OEM 2170 cells ~70g x 80 = ~5.6kg = ~12.32Lbs .. soo , if all the carbon fiber weight savings were reinvested as more battery of equal wh/kg .. It seems like about double the OEM battery capacity ~3kwh would be possible / achievable in the otherwise same weight and spec device .. but those additional batteries would have some additional volume.. soo, some modifications to the design / mounting would be needed to allow for the continued operation of the moving suspension elements.

Edited by IamIan

If you ship.me the frame then I xan cast the mold and you xan create yourself ($300) you need a minimum of 6 layers and I recommend alternating weaves for strength. This is only if you desire a weight difference vs look. In my experience the weight adds alot to stability and I don't recommend changing it unless your an expert rider, a carbon frame sheds around 6 lbs, not including the pads. Another option I'm exploring is a Kevlar weave.

Cabon-Dyneema is also a good composite combination .. like Carbon-Kevlar .. both of those help to address one of the failings of 100% Carbon Fiber fabric in a layup .. impact strength .. that impact strength can be improved with threads of Kevlar or Dyneema included into the carbon fabric weave .. and both are also compatible with most of the common types of epoxies used in carbon fiber layups.

V11 would be insane @ 45lbs!  My only concern would be if internal parts were made from CF as they can crack under directed stress like a crash and not easy to spot the crack before it gives catastrophically.  bicycles have the benefit of easily inspecting your bike after a tumble for damage.

Wow 45 lbs on a V11 does sounds sweet!

• Like 1