WARNING!!! genuine Leaperkim Veteran-450 5A charger can fry itself and the Sherman's control board! (You can open the charger and look at its capacitors to see if you are affected. Be careful.)

fbhb

Unfortunately a fuse between the charger and wheel will not provide protection from this specific failure. What I described is a charger fault that makes the voltage delivered to the wheel too high and a fuse will not protect the wheel from over voltage. This is because a fuse protects against excessive current, not excessive voltage.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Marco73 said:

that said I will simply ask a question or a simple question: can not insert a fuse in protection between the charger and the card ???

I concur with @Tawpie regarding the fuse as protection, if you re-read my Original Post one of the fuses in the charger was also blown!

It seems inconcieveable that there isn't an easily swappable sacrificial component of some kind that can be put on the euc board or output side of the charger in the event of excessive voltage, rather than rendering the entire euc board and charger useless. 

How much is a new board? £200+? Plus charger at £80?

If not, I guess this is simply a good case for having a well built charger in the first place.

• Like 2

Agreed on all points, and yes its been a lot of money (and time) out of the window. (+ possible danger)

7 hours ago, Planemo said:

f not, I guess this is simply a good case for having a well built charger in the first place.

Right now the "well built charger" is the tricky point, none of the affordable ones have any assurance of quality, nor even a proper review by someone who knows the thing (LED PSUs do, and there is a lot of difference in quality). There might be ok affordable brands, "Wate" looks fine from the outside, but we just dont know.

Current shortlist for quality is Cycle Satiator (heavy, limited to 5A, two are the price of a small EUC) and Chargery, 15A, great, but even they have had some issues it seems, and there is some uncertainties regarding the balancing phase for Shermans..

Edited by null
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, null said:

"Wate" looks fine from the outside, but we just dont know.

That just reminded me and indeed forces me to correct my previous comment that all my fast chargers were YZ. They are not - my Z10 one is indeed Wate. I have to say, the Wate does feel and look 'better' than the YZ ones. I haven't opened the Wate up to have a look inside though (I haven't needed to). The Wate also came from PM Battery like my YZ ones though.

• Like 2

Just so it is said: There is also the possibility of the cause being on the Sherman side. The YZ charger may be wonky but at the moment it is mostly (only?) on Shermans we have seen this issue (as well as other charge stage issues). ( mentioned by @erwanrcx French forum )

edit: maybe we could try to track what board version failed, mine was L20-20, very early production.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@YZPOWER As I see you have very recently posted on the other topics concerning your brand of chargers, can you please add your comments/answer the questions made in my original post at the beginning of this topic regarding the Leaperkim version of your 450-5A 100.8v charger?  It would be very much appreciated by myself and the rest of the Veteran Sherman owners that have visited this topic, which is now approaching 1000 views, Thank You!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Planemo said:

So should we all be swopping out our 150uf caps for 220uf?

@Planemo I have made sure to Only use my 220uf Leaperkim 450 5A charger since installing the New control board in my Sherman, with No issues after 14 Full charge cycles (approx. 20% up to 100% every time).  This information now reinforces my concern over being supplied with yet another potentially weak 150uf charger as a replacement and I will now be following this up with my seller/Veteran!  Not At All Happy :furious:

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, YZPOWER said:

Thank you for your attention to our charger.

@YZPOWER Thank you for the clarification you have given in your post, it is much appreciated.

Edited by fbhb

Not all versions of 150UF will have this problem.

This should happen by accident.

It is not recommended to replace this capacitor by yourself.

We are sorry for this problem.

There are many reasons for this failure, Including: the air is humid, the grid voltage has a short-term peak voltage. . .

Sorry again! 

Thank you for your questions.

We will also improve and perfect this product YZ450.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, YZPOWER said:

It is not recommended to replace this capacitor by yourself.

I am quite capable of replacing the capacitors.

You are not making any sense. If the problem is caused by external issues and 'by accident', why did YZ change them to 220uf?

I just need confirmation that changing them to 220uF would be 'better' although I think you have already answered that.

6 hours ago, fbhb said:

@Planemo Not At All Happy :furious:

I'm not surprised. Although we still need to be 100% sure that the charger killed your Vet board before we start jumping up and down. Even so, the fact that YZ changed the spec of the caps is very telling. I am 99% sure I will swop mine out, even though I havent had any problems yet with my 6A. I just wish someone could say that doing so could make things worse. The only way to be sure would be to see what YZ are fitting into their latest 6A chargers but we dont have any pics of one yet.

18 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I'm not surprised. Although we still need to be 100% sure that the charger killed your Vet board before we start jumping up and down. Even so, the fact that YZ changed the spec of the caps is very telling. I am 99% sure I will swop mine out, even though I havent had any problems yet with my 6A. I just wish someone could say that doing so could make things worse. The only way to be sure would be to see what YZ are fitting into their latest 6A chargers but we dont have any pics of one yet.

Yes the Veteran board dying too easily might be a separate problem, or even a reason.

But we still have a charger of which several fried and who turns out having a bit random components and assembly (dry solder on someones pictures). The 100V / 5A while being a 450W charger isn't really a sign of being serious either.

Regarding the 6A chargers; I saw someone post a picture over at the French forum. (Edit, here)

IMG_20210202_195630.jpg.facac1914155523d

Edited by null
  • Like 2

Hello im new here, my sherman came last week only charged it once for 20-30% after a week of riding... I really like it, upgraded from 84v msuperx.

My problem is that my charger is really hot after like 45-60mins of charging. I checked that guys here are showing pic of internals of the YZ-450 5A sherman charger, someone have 150uF caps or 220uF caps... But mine has 180uF caps :huh: is it any bad or good? Already ordered "smart" adjustable fast charger from 1 to 4 Amps. Used one on my last 84v wheel. No problems and runs warm but not hot... Thanks for any info

Smart charger i ordered (they have the 84v version too)

• Like 1

I am a little concerned with all this. Just a few days ago I got the dreaded bt Loy error indicating an imbalanced pack. After eWheels sent out a replacement battery, the original good pack stopped charging. Then the new pick that they sent, after being plugged in for a little, I got “e char” on the screen. 

I don’t know about my resistors in the charger but now I am concerned if I get a new control board which they will ship out soon, that it is possibly my charger that is the issue? Any update on this?