Glad to join the KS club!

nice2knowu

6 minutes ago, Neale Gray said:

@Yashaya Yasharahla Hope it helps, let me know if you need more assistance

Oh my God! Finally! The very first link on that page has an app that allows me to change the riding modes, calibrate, check amperage, and much more! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 

Could you explain the differences between the 3 modes: Aggressive, Comfort, and Soft modes please? I'm thanking you in advance^^

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aggressive (play) will make the pedals the hardest and is the best for sporty riding - flattest pedal position

Comfort (ride) is medium setting - less reactive then Aggressive, less resistance on pedals.

Soft (study) - most comfortable ride, less reactive I find then comfort

Neale,

Thank you for that link http://www.milbay.com.au/SBV/App it explains what I said in my above post much better and links to all the softwares - great.

Yashaya,

most people seem to prefer aggressive mode once the can ride. When you put your weight forward more on your toes the wheel accelerates but the pedals don't seem to move at all - they feel rigid.  In soft mode it accelerates just the same but the pedals tilt a little too such that they feel more like you are standing on soft rubber blocks. Comfort is between the two. Try all three modes and see which feels best to you.

A beginner may well prefer the soft or comfort mode as it makes it easier to control and you can clearly feel your weight moving forward and backwards. Once you start going faster, my personal impression was that soft mode made it feel like you were leaning uncomfortably far forwards. It is perhaps a good way to discourage you from going too fast ?

3 minutes ago, Keith said:

Neale,

Thank you for that link http://www.milbay.com.au/SBV/App it explains what I said in my above post much better and links to all the softwares - great.

Yashaya,

most people seem to prefer aggressive mode once the can ride. When you but your weight forward more on your toes the wheel accelerates but the paddles don't seem to move at all - they feel rigid.  In soft mode it accelerates just the same but the peddles tilt a little too such that they feel more like you are standing on soft rubber blocks. Comfort is between the two. Try all three modes and see which feels best to you.

A beginner may well prefer the soft or comfort mode as it makes it easier to control and you can clearly feel your weight moving forward and backwards. Once you start going faster, my personal impression was that soft mode made it feel like you were leaning uncomfortably far forwards. It is perhaps a good way to discourage you from going too fast ?

Keith,

I really appreciate the in-depth explanation of the modes. I plan to ride it for long distances, so do you think the soft mode would be better? I am not even sure what mode I have been riding it on, but I can tell you this: My feet sore after an hour of riding? lol~ I want to travel on it for 30km straight. I want to ride to work, which is a 30km drive. 

3 minutes ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Keith,

I really appreciate the in-depth explanation of the modes. I plan to ride it for long distances, so do you think the soft mode would be better? I am not even sure what mode I have been riding it on, but I can tell you this: My feet sore after an hour of riding? lol~ I want to travel on it for 30km straight. I want to ride to work, which is a 30km drive. 

Loo, if your feet are sore after an hour, you are doing better than any one of us here. Every once in a while you need to stepp off the wheel and rest your feet for a few minutes. I have never been able to ride for an hour straight. Id say every 10- 20 minutes is very normal

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Loo, if your feet are sore after an hour, you are doing better than any one of us here. Every once in a while you need to stepp off the wheel and rest your feet for a few minutes. I have never been able to ride for an hour straight. Id say every 10- 20 minutes is very normal

Lol! I must dismount when I come to a red light (occasionally), but, for the most part, I am riding the thing constantly. I live in the countryside, and the nearest city is 30km away. 

Cloud,

Yashaya had the KS18 I believe {envy!} ?. One would hope it's more comfortable to ride further? Indeed I gather you can get a seat for it?

Yashaya, 

I didn't have an Android phone so I learned on its default which on the 14C seemed to be aggressive. Once I bought a cheap phone the other two modes felt "odd" so it stayed on aggressive. I think others may have done the same? 

Not sure how the 18 feels compared with the smaller wheels but certainly if the ride is tiring on the feet, it is well worth giving comfort mode a go for a good length run. However do practice stopping fast as the softer modes mean a more pronounced lean backwards is required to stop. That's not a criticism of the modes, it will be fine if you are expecting it you just don't want your first real emergency stop to catch you out. I suspect that Soft mode may be too much, I don't believe many people use it, however there really is no harm trying it, it may well be most comfortable for long distances?

1 minute ago, Keith said:

Cloud,

Yashaya had the KS18 I believe {envy!} ?. One would hope it's more comfortable to ride further? Indeed I gather you can get a seat for it?

Yashaya, 

I didn't have an Android phone so I learned on its default which on the 14C seemed to be aggressive. Once I bought a cheap phone the other two modes felt "odd" so it stayed on aggressive. I think others may have done the same? 

Not sure how the 18 feels compared with the smaller wheels but certainly if the ride is tiring on the feet, it is well worth giving comfort mode a go for a good length run. However do practice stopping fast as the softer modes mean a more pronounced lean backwards is required to stop. That's not a criticism of the modes, it will be fine if you are expecting it you just don't want your first real emergency stop to catch you out. I suspect that Soft mode may be too much, I don't believe many people use it, however there really is no harm trying it, it may well be most comfortable for long distances?

Keith,

I am going to go out and try it on the soft mode, and then the other 2. I think I will know what mode I was riding on as soon as I go through all 3 of them^^ I want to avoid the rigid one until I am comfortable riding it. I will give you my update on how I feel on all 3 modes in a bit.

18 minutes ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Keith,

I am going to go out and try it on the soft mode, and then the other 2. I think I will know what mode I was riding on as soon as I go through all 3 of them^^ I want to avoid the rigid one until I am comfortable riding it. I will give you my update on how I feel on all 3 modes in a bit.

Update on the 3 modes: So, I just tried the 3 different modes that the app says. However, comfort and soft modes are the same: Soft Mode. And, Aggressive Mode is just what it is: Aggressive Mode. Now, I didn't feel any difference in the pedals honestly when I switched the modes. However, I noticed on the Soft Mode that it was easier to stop and it felt more like a "cruising" style of ride...it was smooth. Also, it felt like there was some resistance or something was making me go slower on this mode. Now, on the Aggressive Mode, I only felt that it was easier to accelerate. I think I was on the Aggressive Mode before I began to play with the app. My user manual is in Korean and it said that the Soft Mode is the best mode to save more battery. I love the speed of the device, but I think I am going to keep it on the Soft Mode as I will be using this to cruise to work and battery longevity would be more useful for the type of riding I'll be doing later. 

27 minutes ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Keith,

I did see a seat advertised on a tutorial of the KS-18A. You just kind of slip it on, but I don't know where to buy them. I wonder if sitting on the wheel would make it more stable to ride than standing. What are your thoughts? 

Yashaya,

My 14C manual also says soft mode is less demanding on the battery. I guess the motor has to work less hard to hold the peddles in position?

Not sure how to get the seat, other than trying your wheel supplier.

I can only guess, although I'd really love to have a go at sitting and standing on a KS-18 ?. I suspect that sitting would feel less stable, as it ought to make it harder to shift your weight, I.e you would only be able to move your upper body in any direction not your whole body, so entering a turn, accelerating and stopping may be delayed a bit. I would assume it should be possible to change from standing to sitting and back with practice whilst moving so, sitting comfortably (!) whilst cruising on an open road and standing if there is any risk, say, of a car person or animal pulling out on you; I.e. any situation where you need to be able to react more quickly.

As the only suspension I think you have is your legs bending, sitting whilst going along a bumpy surface may also be a pain in the butt (literally!).

3 minutes ago, Keith said:

Yashaya,

My 14C manual also says soft mode is less demanding on the battery. I guess the motor has to work less hard to hold the peddles in position?

I can only guess, although I'd really love to have a go at sitting and standing on a KS-18 ?. I suspect that sitting would feel less stable, as it ought to make it harder to shift your weight, I.e you would only be able to move your upper body in any direction not your whole body, so entering a turn, accelerating and stopping may be delayed a bit. I would assume it should be possible to change from standing to sitting and back with practice whilst moving so, sitting comfortably (!) whilst cruising on an open road and standing if there is any risk, say, of a car person or animal pulling out on you; I.e. any situation where you need to be able to react more quickly.

As the only suspension I think you have is your legs bending, sitting whilst going along a bumpy surface may also be a pain in the butt (literally!).

Keith,

I agree entirely. 

I do believe it would be harder to shift your weight while sitting. And, since your legs are your only suspension, your butt becomes an undesired suspension~ lol

By the way, you spoke of animals...this is the problem I have in rural South Korea. There are many dogs not on their leashes! I saw a dog coming near me, and I slightly panicked but was in control enough to steer myself around quickly and sped away. 

1 hour ago, Colestien said:

@nice2knowu and @Yashaya Yasharahla welcome to the Brotherhood of the Wheel.  I hope you will enjoy your rides.  I feel it is a treat.  The longer you ride the easier it will become.  Yashaya I was wondering about the seat as well. If you get around to trying it out please let me now what you think.  

Absolutely. I will let you know. 

On 12/20/2015 at 1:33 AM, MetricUSA said:

Yes n2k, sounds like you need to go to phone bt settings first, there is two bt to connect with, one for speaker other to machine, make first connection there...

I tried this, and it does show up as KS14Cxxx (can't remember the exact name), but when I try to connect to it, it just times out and nothing happens. I will try with another Android device, although my phone is pretty new... Thanks for the tip though, I'll report back later!

6 hours ago, Colestien said:

@nice2knowu and @Yashaya Yasharahla welcome to the Brotherhood of the Wheel.  I hope you will enjoy your rides.  I feel it is a treat.  The longer you ride the easier it will become.  Yashaya I was wondering about the seat as well. If you get around to trying it out please let me now what you think.  

Thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately I haven't had time to practice riding my wheel the past 2 days and I miss it a lot. I'm afraid next time I'll try I will have to start from zero again, but hopefully that's not true hehe.

On 21 December 2015 at 1:02 AM, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Keith,

I ride a KS 18 and find it very easy to move your weight from one leg to the other to eliminate sore feet. Same as if you were standing on solid ground, you normally shift weight from one leg to the other. It's easy to ride full speed on one leg, so just keep moving around and you will find you can ride any distance pain free

1 hour ago, Mistagear said:

I ride a KS 18 and find it very easy to move your weight from one leg to the other to eliminate sore feet. Same as if you were standing on solid ground, you normally shift weight from one leg to the other. It's easy to ride full speed on one leg, so just keep moving around and you will find you can ride any distance pain free

I actually learned how to do that yesterday while riding. So, I agree: it is easy to shift the weight. I just had to learn to get over the fear of shifting my feet while the wheel was moving. 

It is not if you can, but how much room you do have before you need to do an external battery.... KS 18 can have, I have seen on line, upto 1600+ wh battery installed, so yes you can upgrade....and you will have to replace it eventually.... I am now trying to ask 'local' dealers what batteries they have on hand so I can purchase them...

Your 591 wh battery, was that supposed to be an under estimated 620 wh or an over estimated 520 wh being sold?

6 hours ago, MetricUSA said:

It is not if you can, but how much room you do have before you need to do an external battery.... KS 18 can have, I have seen on line, upto 1600+ wh battery installed, so yes you can upgrade....and you will have to replace it eventually.... I am now trying to ask 'local' dealers what batteries they have on hand so I can purchase them...

Your 591 wh battery, was that supposed to be an under estimated 620 wh or an over estimated 520 wh being sold?

I'm not even sure about the over/under estimated figures are about,  but the packaging said "591 wh LG lithium battery." Where is the link to this 1600+ wh battery installed KS wheel? I am highly interested. I just can no longer tolerate the battery dying so fast. And to conserve more battery, the bluetooth is off and I stopped using the app on this because the screen times out and holding it in my hand while riding seems dangerous for now as I am still learning to master this thing. Anyway, weighing 105kg really seems to kill that advertised 50~60km. I was really upset to learn that I cannot ride it to work (which is just a 30km commute). I need to upgrade this battery ASAP. Please teach me if you know how, MetricUSA.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

I'm not even sure about the over/under estimated figures are about,  but the packaging said "591 wh LG lithium battery." Where is the link to this 1600+ wh battery installed KS wheel? I am highly interested. I just can no longer tolerate the battery dying so fast. And to conserve more battery, the bluetooth is off and I stopped using the app on this because the screen times out and holding it in my hand while riding seems dangerous for now as I am still learning to master this thing. Anyway, weighing 105kg really seems to kill that advertised 50~60km. I was really upset to learn that I cannot ride it to work (which is just a 30km commute). I need to upgrade this battery ASAP. Please teach me if you know how, MetricUSA.

Thank you.

What dies the battery pack itself say? Do you have 2 packs or more?

with 105kg ( which is about my weight) new 590 battery should let you travel about 25-28 kg.

let me know how far you can travel on a charge.  The short distance is a problem for me too, seems that the weight affects it a lot. 

Thanks

On 12/21/2015 at 1:26 AM, Keith said:

Yashaya,

Keith,

I agree entirely. 

I do believe it would be harder to shift your weight while sitting. And, since your legs are your only suspension, your butt becomes an undesired suspension~ lol

By the way, you spoke of animals...this is the problem I have in rural South Korea. There are many dogs not on their leashes! I saw a dog coming near me, and I slightly panicked but was in control enough to steer myself around quickly and sped away. 

Dear Cloud,

Last time I checked the odometer on the app, I reached 22km from a full charge. I must also say that since I commute in the countryside, I go up many hills, so I figure that would kill the battery as well. 

I have never opened the device, so I don't know how many packs there are inside the wheel. Just it said 591Wh Lithium battery-- that's all. 

7 hours ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Dear Cloud,

Last time I checked the odometer on the app, I reached 22km from a full charge. I must also say that since I commute in the countryside, I go up many hills, so I figure that would kill the battery as well. 

I have never opened the device, so I don't know how many packs there are inside the wheel. Just it said 591Wh Lithium battery-- that's all. 

Seems a bit less than id expect but more or less correct considering the hills...try to use it more smoothly with less accelerations and braking. Unless you are carrying a backpack with extra weight or use super heavy clothes, you should be able to get at least 24-25 km if the battery is still new.

But Yes you do need a bigger battery. Go for the 1500 wh :) 

Archived