Glad to join the KS club!

nice2knowu

Hey everyone!

I have finally received my King Song 14C yesterday after watching all the videos on YouTube about electric unicycles and reading this forum of course. :D I gave it a quick spin last night and I have to say it looks sooooo much easier to ride than it actually is. It took me a while to even be able to step on it next to a wall but in about 1 hour of practicing I was able to go forward and back by keeping my one hand on said wall. I did try letting to a few times, but I never got very far before I had to step off. I guess I need to be a little braver and get up to a faster speed, but right now it's a bit scary. The only thing I find annoying is that whenever you lift the wheel off the ground it starts accelerating to full speed and starts beeping really loud. This is also the case when I have to step off of it. It just starts tumbling around on the ground and it's super loud. So yeah, anyway... it's got a bunch of scratches everywhere now, but I don't really care. I think I'll get those special stickers you can put on it, since it bruised up my legs quite a bit and when it spins around the footsteps smash into my leg which is quite painful.

One thing I wanted to ask though, is how do you connect your phone to it. I have downloaded the latest King Song APK posted here (from October I believe) and when I click on the little Bluetooth icon to search for my EUC it never finds anything. I have also downloaded the Chinese version of the app from the manufacturer's website and had no luck with it either (looks like it's a really old version too...). I was able to connect to it as a media device and play music but the app seems to be trickier. Could someone guide me through this process please? I'm not sure whether I need to press some special button combination on the wheel itself to make it work.

Thank you for the help in advance and I look forward to get into the conversation over here and to be part of this awesome community!

UPDATE: I was able to connect to the wheel with my girlfriend's iPhone... Looks like their Android app is not that great. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the club.

You will get used to remembering to not lift the wheel off the ground.

when you step off of it you need to either keep on of your feet on the pedal or grab the handle with your hand to keep it from falling over. Kingsong wheel that falls to the side and starts spinning can do serious damage to you and the people around - those footrests flying around are no joke!

Try turning blue tooth system on, press bluetooth button one time and hold and then second time quickly the wheel should say " power on" but you already must know that if you are conne ting the bluew tooth for music 

the app should connect automatically if you are using the latest version of the wheel. Make sure the wheel is turned on when connecting the app.

38 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Try turning blue tooth system on, press bluetooth button one time and hold and then second time quickly the wheel should say " power on" but you already must know that if you are conne ting the bluew tooth for music 

the app should connect automatically if you are using the latest version of the wheel. Make sure the wheel is turned on when connecting the app.

Yes, it does say "Power on" but even after that, the app just wouldn't find my wheel. I can even see it from the standard Bluetooth screen on my Android phone, but obviously it doesn't let me connect from there. Which one is the latest app? Maybe I'm using some older one and that's why it doesn't work. Thanks for the reply!

3 hours ago, nice2knowu said:

Yes, it does say "Power on" but even after that, the app just wouldn't find my wheel. I can even see it from the standard Bluetooth screen on my Android phone, but obviously it doesn't let me connect from there. Which one is the latest app? Maybe I'm using some older one and that's why it doesn't work. Thanks for the reply!

Yes, my guess is that you are using the wrong version of the app...but i am not sure what version if the wheel you have. Who did you buy it from? Were you tokd the speed beeps woukd be adjustable or not? I can email you the app

10 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Yes, my guess is that you are using the wrong version of the app...but i am not sure what version if the wheel you have. Who did you buy it from? Were you tokd the speed beeps woukd be adjustable or not? I can email you the app

I just got the app sent to me by King Song. I will test it tomorrow and give a feedback on how it goes. I actually live in Shenzhen, the city where these things are made in China, and I got the wheel from the manufacturer itself. It seems to be a new model which doesn't have the USB port anymore. It looks exactly the same as the one posted in this thread.

11 hours ago, nice2knowu said:

I gave it a quick spin last night and I have to say it looks sooooo much easier to ride than it actually is. It took me a while to even be able to step on it next to a wall but in about 1 hourThe only thing I find annoying is that whenever you lift the wheel off the ground it starts accelerating to full speed and starts beeping really loud. This is also the case when I have to step off of it. It just starts tumbling around on the ground and it's super loud. So yeah, anyway... it's got a bunch of scratches everywhere now, but I don't really care. I think I'll get those special stickers you can put on it, since it bruised up my legs quite a bit and when it spins around the footsteps smash into my leg which is quite painful.

Nice2knowu,

I only started learning a month ago so a few tips I learned:

wear boots, preferably with thick long socks to protect your ankles. 

Get yourself a strap, luggage strap, etc and fit it to the handle at one end and looped around your wrist at the other - like a dog lead. Don't use this to help you balance, but if you come off, you can lift the wheel upright and stop it going out of control. Make sure it is not long enough to tangle in the wheel. 

If you do lift the wheel powered up, quickly tip it on its side, that will shut it down - and it recovers quicker when placed back upright. 

Don't have your feet equi-spaced forward to back on the footrests, the toes should stick out more to the front, that makes it easier to get your weight forward to move. 

Thanks for the tips Kevin! I'm happy to report I was able to ride a good 2-300 meters for a couple of times today (practicing just behind my apartment building) and even do a couple of turns, plus get on the wheel without cheating (no rails or walls) a few times. I've also bruised up both my feet pretty bad because I did have to step off of it a couple of times and the footrests just love smashing into my shins. Anyway, the joy far exceeds the pain, but I am looking into getting myself some shin protectors just in case... as well as some other protective gear. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this thing and I'll soon be zooming down the streets and hopefully commute to work soon. ^_^

Can someone please give me the link to the updated version of the King Song app? I turned on the bluetooth button, I heard the "power on" message, turned on the bluetooth to my phone, and started the app. It still won't connect. If you have both iOS and Android recent download links, that would help in such an amazing way. PLEASE HELP~ 

I have the 18in, 800W King Song Wheel.

3 hours ago, nice2knowu said:

Thanks for the tips Kevin! I'm happy to report I was able to ride a good 2-300 meters for a couple of times today (practicing just behind my apartment building) and even do a couple of turns, plus get on the wheel without cheating (no rails or walls) a few times. I've also bruised up both my feet pretty bad because I did have to step off of it a couple of times and the footrests just love smashing into my shins. Anyway, the joy far exceeds the pain, but I am looking into getting myself some shin protectors just in case... as well as some other protective gear. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of this thing and I'll soon be zooming down the streets and hopefully commute to work soon. ^_^

Catch the wheel with your hand by the carrying handle if you are jumping off it, dont let it fall to the side and start spinning.

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Catch the wheel with your hand by the carrying handle if you are jumping off it, dont let it fall to the side and start spinning.

I thought the gyro,s would sense that the wheel was on it`s side and shut down?

As from what I have read and thought I understood, most all EUCs have multiple axis gyros that should shut down the motor if the wheel leans to far  to the sides? "Tilt protection 45°" as listed on many sites.

ukj

8 minutes ago, UKJ said:

I thought the gyro,s would sense that the wheel was on it`s side and shut down?

On the KingSong (and probably all other wheels) It does, but falling off doesn't necessarily cause the wheel to fall right over -  if it has any speed it will hold it up. if it doesn't fall over far enough, it can do a fair impression of a Tasmanian Devil so (IMHO) Cloud is correct. I, a couple of posts earlier, suggested using a strap for the same reason. I freely admit some don't like straps, but I still use one to ensure, if I do happen to lose control I don't hurt someone else or damage a car.

What I've found is straps are counterproductive if you try to hang on to them whilst riding (I.e. Use them to help balance) if it's held loosely and used like the leash on a surf board it works well to keep it under control  if you fall off.

Of course, if the KS (or any other wheel) had the brilliant "foot proximity sensors" of the new Uniwheel this and spinning like mad if you  lift the wheel up wouldn't be a problem :-)

Yes the wheel could keep rolling. Even when it falls over it doesnt always immediately shut off. It did quite a damage to my shin once hitting me with the footrests. For a multitude of reasons catch the wheel when jumping off. Why woukd you want it to fall over anyway? Noone wants more scratches on the wheel itself or to unnecessarily shake the wheel and internal components - at the end of the day the wheel can only take so many falls and hits before something inside gets loose and stops working. 

9 hours ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Can someone please give me the link to the updated version of the King Song app? I turned on the bluetooth button, I heard the "power on" message, turned on the bluetooth to my phone, and started the app. It still won't connect. If you have both iOS and Android recent download links, that would help in such an amazing way. PLEASE HELP~ 

Here's the APK I got from King Song last week. As for the iOS version, just go to the App Store and search for "kingsong". That's what I did and I was able to connect to my wheel through an iPhone.

KingSong4.0.apk

9 hours ago, nice2knowu said:

Here's the APK I got from King Song last week. As for the iOS version, just go to the App Store and search for "kingsong". That's what I did and I was able to connect to my wheel through an iPhone.

KingSong4.0.apk

I downloaded this app, installed and ran the app. I turned on my 18in King Song wheel and I touched the bluetooth button within the app-- it still cannot find my wheel. 

Any other suggestions?

Best,

Yashaya

2 hours ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Update: My phone can ONLY connect to Kingsong's SPEAKERS, but the app still won't connect to the Kingsong Wheel. I can't get the Kingsong App to work with the Kingsong Wheel. 

Any ideas?

I'm afraid your best bet is to ask a friend of yours to install the app on their iPhone... same problem as me, seems like King Song's Android app is not great. :(

4 hours ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

Update: My phone can ONLY connect to Kingsong's SPEAKERS, but the app still won't connect to the Kingsong Wheel. I can't get the Kingsong App to work with the Kingsong Wheel. 

Any ideas?

I, too, have the KS 18".  I, also use the above mentioned app.  For me, I just simply power on my unit first then open the app.  That's it!!!  The app automatically turns on my bluetooth and connects without fail.  I think I had to choose or scan for devices on my initial connection, but since then I've had no problems.  Also, my unit is one that was off the production line ~ November 5th.  If your unit was purchased prior to that seems like there were some app issues with those.  Otherwise, no more info that I have.............

Update: I downloaded the GotWay app, and my Kingsong connects to it, but it won't connect to its own app? Weird. I want to change the different modes to see which is better for me. The GotWay app only lets me sound the beep, like a horn if you will, and I can see how fast I am going. For now, I will settle until someone can let me in on an updated version of this app. Thanks everyone. 

There seems to be some confusion here about the Bluetooth button on the wheel. I've got the older KS14 (pre-November I think) which only connects to the Android app however, I would be surprised if the newer version behaves differently connection wise (other than it connects to IOS as well) and I'm sure someone will quickly correct me if so.

MetricUSA is correct, there are 2 Bluetooth connections, You do not turn on the Bluetooth with the button to connect to an app. The Bluetooth button turns on the speaker Bluetooth to play music, the separate app Bluetooth turns on automatically when you power up the wheel and off if the wheel is powered down. I.e these are the two separate functions.

That mean, oddly, that for my wheel I can connect and play music from an Android Phone or my iPhone 5 no problem but the iPhone app completely fails to see my wheel. The older Android app I can use allows me to change ride style but I have no control over max speed or beeps, etc. 

I, obviously, haven't played with the newer app software but I would assume that means there are 2 different Android apps - one that connects to older wheels and has no speed/ beep functionality and the newer version. I assume there is only one IOS app. Again others will correct me if wrong, but is it possible you are trying to connect newer wheel to older app (or vice versa)?

55 minutes ago, Keith said:

There seems to be some confusion here about the Bluetooth button on the wheel. I've got the older KS14 (pre-November I think) which only connects to the Android app however, I would be surprised if the newer version behaves differently connection wise (other than it connects to IOS as well) and I'm sure someone will quickly correct me if so.

MetricUSA is correct, there are 2 Bluetooth connections, You do not turn on the Bluetooth with the button to connect to an app. The Bluetooth button turns on the speaker Bluetooth to play music, the separate app Bluetooth turns on automatically when you power up the wheel and off if the wheel is powered down. I.e these are the two separate functions.

That mean, oddly, that for my wheel I can connect and play music from an Android Phone or my iPhone 5 no problem but the iPhone app completely fails to see my wheel. The older Android app I can use allows me to change ride style but I have no control over max speed or beeps, etc. 

I, obviously, haven't played with the newer app software but I would assume that means there are 2 different Android apps - one that connects to older wheels and has no speed/ beep functionality and the newer version. I assume there is only one IOS app. Again others will correct me if wrong, but is it possible you are trying to connect newer wheel to older app (or vice versa)?

I don't even know if I have a pre-November model or a newer model. The model on the manual says KS-18A. How can I check the differences? 

As far as the app is concerned, I am able to connect by my Android device via the GotWay app, not Kingsong, which is weird since my wheel is a Kingsong and not a GotWay. I hope I have supplied enough info for your response. I appreciate the well written answer and others for tuning in as well. The Kingsong website is very subpar-- almost nothing is there to access. That's another topic I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Yashaya Yasharahla said:

I don't even know if I have a pre-November model or a newer model. The model on the manual says KS-18A. How can I check the differences? 

As far as the app is concerned, I am able to connect by my Android device via the GotWay app, not Kingsong, which is weird since my wheel is a Kingsong and not a GotWay. I hope I have supplied enough info for your response. I appreciate the well written answer and others for tuning in as well. The Kingsong website is very subpar-- almost nothing is there to access. That's another topic I guess. 

Hi @Yashaya Yasharahlahttp://www.milbay.com.au/SBV/App this link may help you for the app versions. Let me know if you still have questions

Archived